The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the 718 is a better overall car man. the gts is a fast as the previous ten 911.

The engine sounds like a whirring hair dryer.

I'm waiting for the next a45. If I'm buying a hair dryer I want it to be the craziest one.

2. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Fair point. The 718 chassis and handling is basically like having a luxury go kart. It’s almost like Porsche’s version of a Miata, so I’ll give the lame engine sound a pass.

3. diagrammatiks

I mean what are you gonna do. they are just gonna keep getting faster /better but that car won't see a six again for at least a couple of generations.

I'm always doing stupid shit with 718s and a45s on my way to work. They do sound ridiculously bad.

Although the worst engine sound ever is my neighbors masarati. That thing just sounds broken.

4. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

you didn't drive it right... snark aside
    found the 9 to be 'right' vs the 7 that i felt was noticeably lacking, relatively speaking of course

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  5. zarg

zarg SS.org Regular

boxter? I would personally go with the cayman. I dislike convertibles myself. Especially the manuals are amazing to drive, love the cayman gt4. but thats sadly a whole different price level.

'

sadly its pretty bad sounding, but the horse power out of a 2 liter engine is insane. I personally think the CLA looks amazing.

6. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

The 6 is already back, you just gotta get the GT4. If its anything like last gen it's an extremely good investment. Two generations from now they'll probably all be electric or hybrids with a small generator to extend range.. I think the "best" and most involving engine driven cars have already been made and left showrooms and we're on the downhill without realizing it

zarg likes this.
  7. diagrammatiks

Only available in a manual though.

I think that there’s at least a few generations left of ice vehicles.

But I’m not too worried. Driving a electric is different but it’s so much fun.

8. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/porsches-boxster-and-cayman-replacements-will-be-electric

not even two generations. next gen 718s are electric... I kinda figured that would be the case. It's not a GT cruiser, do-everything car like the 911 so it doesn't need a ton of range. They are really good candidates to electrify and will probably be a blast to drive.

And yeah while the inefficiency of petrol motors is fun, electrics are still a great driving experience. I'm driving my daily into the ground waiting on some better options

9. diagrammatiks

My dad's Tesla is the only car I've gotten a speeding ticket in while in china.

My wife always laughs at me because my car is loud as hell when it's only going like 65 miles per hour.

I was out of the drive way in the Tesla and going 100 before the traffic light when I got pinged.

Last time I was back after the software update it wasn't even fair. our 75d will hit a sub 4 second 0-60 now.

electric cars are only going to get better and then only robots will be able to drive them because they will be too fast.

10. Riffer

Riffer PRS SE Inspector

Haven't posted in this thread in a while. Figured I'd show you guys what I have going on. I've got a 1972 Chevy Nova that I yanked the engine out of and gave it to a local shop for a performance build. The block was a stock chevy small block 350 that I had all redone. Put a 383 stroker kit in it and some nice AFR Aluminum 195cc heads, Erson Cam, hydraulic roller lifters, flat top pistons, forged scat crank, edelbrock air gap intake, all the nice stuff. Getting ready to choose a transmission now. Was looking into the 700r4 for the overdrive but I may just go with a nice TH350 or TH400 since they are just as tough but only have 3 speeds with no OD and I won't be doing that much highway driving anyway.

This is how the engine started
    0.jpg 2.jpg

This is after the shop did their cleaning, honing, boring, decking, and all other machine work.
    4.jpg 5.jpg

The AFR heads
    16.jpg 17.jpg

Assembled at the shop
    11.jpg

At home on a dolley and with the valve covers installed
    13.jpg 14.jpg

sezna, @zwen, sakeido and 8 others like this.
  11. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

my first car was a '73 Nova with a 350 small block... it was a terrible first car for a 16 year old kid. So unsafe and powerful. Very cool build, nothin like a shiny new SBC

12. @zwen

@zwen Well-Known Member

Ride motorcycles, you filthy cagers.

Riffer likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Come here in January and say that. :lol:

I sold my last bike about three years ago. Just got sick of it being a paperweight most of the year.

The funny thing is, I work right across from Harley Davidson.

@zwen likes this.
  14. @zwen

@zwen Well-Known Member

I’m out in Southern California, and the weather is really nice, even when it’s overcast and raining. It was a steep learning curve, but I was sort of forced to pick up riding after I had wrecked my car and was too broke to fix it. A former boss of mine gave me a Fireblade as a gift. Now I’ve sort of acclimated to it and it’s my preferred mode of transport.

15. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

not a car guy per se but i do love my german sedans. had a c class, sold it for this E350 4matic which has been my daily driver for about 6 years now. hope to have a S class next.

[​IMG]

nikt likes this.
  16. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

So i picked this up as a project car. Pretty excited about this one.

[​IMG]

wannabguitarist, Adieu, zarg and 4 others like this.
  17. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Niiice. I've been out of the car game for a long time but this is confusing me -- is that an actual GTR? Is it a silvia with GTR headlights?

18. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

it’s an R34 skyline, but not a GTR

sakeido likes this.
  19. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

:holy:

@zwen likes this.
  20. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Ah cool. I'd love to get an R34 but storage is just super expensive in my area. Gawking at them daily though.