The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

E0D34F5B-6A2B-46B3-AB00-D2BDF409E4C0.jpeg 15B4E26F-131D-4EB5-B341-3F2C1AAED47F.jpeg I was a bimmer guy for 15+ yrs, there’s still things I miss about my turbo’d and modded e21’s but the 36’s and beyond...maintenance nightmares, I’ll never go back...I’m starting a 60’-63’ falcon “bubbleback” build (go figure lol)

sakeido, Konfyouzd and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  2. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

*dblpst

Attached Files:

3. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building

Drove a GT and man do I want one now. Say a used frs at a dealer and asked to test drive it but was told I can't drive it unless they know I'll buy it today. Chicken and egg?

So I'm off to Toyota directly across the street

Edit: Would you believe Toyota was worse? I walked in and the girl at the country noticeably rolled her eyes at me then just walked away. Then they told me they had no 86s even though I passed an FRS entering the dealership. This always happens when I go to dealerships. But I did get to rock a GT for a bit and it's nicer than the others by a significant margin anyway. Spilled milk eh?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  4. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I guess it's all down to them being afraid of joyriders. It's a shame. Maybe see if you can go with a friend who has a nice car and claim it's yours. Or see if Carmax has one, they are usually pretty lax with their test drive policy.

It's funny though, it's kinda about what you show up in. Back when I was showing up in a beat up old acura SUV I couldn't test anything, but I showed up to a McLaren dealer with the 488 I had at the time and the let me do a nice long test drive of a lightly used 570GT, didn't even ask for my ID/insurance hahah.

M3CHK1LLA and Konfyouzd like this.
  5. Konfyouzd

Honestly that could be true. When I drove an RSX-S I kept it very clean and sales ppl were much friendlier.

6. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

the only thing that ive found worse is my supra. if a front lip for 350z costs $200, and $500 for bimmer, it will be $800 for my car.
    it's jokingly referred to as the "supra tax" lol

Konfyouzd likes this.
  7. M3CHK1LLA

not trying to throw out the race card, but i'm half filipino and half white. so in texas everyone thinks im a mexican lol.

but if you start off the conversation with "i'm looking to put 10k down"...it always works regardless of what you drive up in...though it does help

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Konfyouzd likes this.
  8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Can’t believe you didn’t end up buying the 570

Konfyouzd likes this.
  9. Konfyouzd

It's interesting. I bet that would have worked. I told Ford I was looking to get a GT without the spoiler around this time next month and was curious to see what they had in stock. Instantly gave me the keys to 2 cars.

I'm not even mad the other two thought I might be a joyrider. I simply wish they'd used more tact. When I walked into the show room at Mazda the guy asked me if I was with the service department...

Excellent sales ppl...

10. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

yeah but i look like i did 9/11 and not even the fun porsche kind

Konfyouzd likes this.
  11. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I honest to god just preferred the R8. The McLaren is a really really cool car, but now having driven the 570GT and the 570S it just never gave me that "I need to have this" kind of feeling.

Even the R8 didn't quite give me that at first, but something stuck with me and then I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Few things about the 570:
    1. The doors. As cool as they look, they draw SO much attention, and I'd be really nervous in tight spots, there's no way to open them halfway, you open them and kinda hope they don't hit anything.
    2. The Turbo Lag. It's really noticeable, moreso than my 911 Turbo honestly, and somehow didn't feel quite as satisfying. The instant response of the NA v10 in the R8 is pretty damn addictive.
    3. The sound. At least in the cabin, both cars were kinda muted sounding, maybe it's the turbos? Then again the AMG GTS is a Turbo V8 and has one of the best engine sounds ever.
    4. The interior. It's super cool and space age, the carbon fiber monocoque does make it a bit trickier to get in and out, but the driving position is nice and the dashboard is definitely cool, but not super intuitive. I also kinda hated how laggy the rear view camera was, it sounds like silly nitpicking, but I drive the R8 every chance I get, and that awesome rear camera is sick.
    5. The look. I have to say it kinda looks better in pictures than it does in person, which is weird because it's usually the opposite. I thought the 12C was very meh in pics but in person it looks incredible, and in person I actually think it looks better than the 570.

With all of that said, these are super nitpicky complaints. But the R8 spoke to me, is much easier to live with, has a much more luxurious and comfortable interior and just makes so much more sense as a daily supercar.

Really tempted to get that VF Engineering supercharger kit that gives it 800hp, supposedly nudges it a bit in that hypercar direction haha.

Also I should mention I am in no way hating on McLaren, the next car I'm pining for is that 720S haha.

12. MFB

MFB Banned

You look like Tay Zonday's darker cousin at best

13. Konfyouzd

Looks like I'm ab to try and trade my GTI for a 2017 Toyota 86...

14. Konfyouzd

:lol:

15. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

talk me out of the vf800 supercharger for my r8 please

Konfyouzd likes this.
  16. Konfyouzd

17. Konfyouzd

Do it.

18. M3CHK1LLA

Konfyouzd likes this.
  19. Konfyouzd

Thanks man!

20. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

Dang, jealous! That looks awesome. I've got an '06 tC right now and I've been looking around at cars (mostly for fun, I certainly don't need a new one but the temptation is real :lol:) and an FRS/BRZ/86 is pretty appealing, gets about the same fuel economy but looks way more fun to drive haha.

Konfyouzd likes this.