The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. m107a1

m107a1 SS.org Regular

Here's my 2015 Cayman GTS. It had 2 owners and 23000mi in 11 months, but the prior owner covered the car in Xpel Ultimate and added a $10K set of HRE P107 wheels in addition to eating the depreciation. I think the satin black wheels make the silver paint pop!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The POS 2013 Ducati Panigale R I replaced with the Cayman:
    [​IMG]

2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

please do tell more about that 1199

3. m107a1

m107a1 SS.org Regular

Insanely unreliable. I've owned other Ducati Superbikes over the years (my favorite being a 1098S Tricolore) and the Panigale spent more time in the shop than the others combined and multiplied 10x. :realmad: The bigger issues were:

Full seize-up of GP-pattern quickshifter with <100mi
    Engine teardown/rebuild for coolant leak
    Clutch master/slave/cable replacement as air kept getting into the line

Everything was done under warranty, but OMFG it was 60hrs+ of warranty labor in 3 years! Forget lemon law - it takes a year to process and the problems have to be un-diagnosable. When the cluch lever crapped out, I'd have no way to feather it for low-speed turns...that turned out to be near-fatal repeatedly as the clutch lever issue came back over and over. Never buying another Ducati again! :wallbash:

The good stuff - yes there actually was good stuff:
    I got it for 25% off at the end of the month. The dealership needed to move the bike to get a Panigale Superlegerra allocation - bigger margins and all
    You could feel the tires peeling off the pavement in a corner
    Traction control and ABS were phenomenal, doing their job while never interrupting you
    The acceleration was like being picked up and thrown forward by the hand of God
    Even grandmas in their minivans knew this was no usual bike. It always got compliments and questions at gas stations from all sorts of folks, never anything rude.
    You didn't care when the tires only lasted 2000mi

I don't miss the Pani one bit - the Cayman is far superior at canyon strafing and "fast enough" in a straight line. It's epic on the track, too.

4. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

F.ck man, that Cayman is gorgeous. Honestly the only sports car I can see replacing my AP2 other than an older 911.

How's the Xpel coating? Any extra steps needed for care or can you just wash the car like normal?

5. m107a1

m107a1 SS.org Regular

Xpel actually says on their site to wash the car with 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol. It's so easy to take care of. You never have to wax your car again. I hit a deer and the Xpel self-healed. The $25K in dent repair was another story...

If you go 911, I cannot recommend a used GT3 highly enough. They are phenomenal track weapons. You won't get a better used sports car under $250K, and there are plenty under $100K. You'd have to look at a used 458 or Huracan to match it.

6. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Unfortunately, my E46 M3's block suffered a hairline crack in the cylinder wall of #5, so I've turned it into a project car so I can rebuild the engine.

In the meantime, I've fulfilled a lifelong dream of Corvette ownership and picked up a 2009 Z06 with less than 9k miles. Dad has a 1970 454 so I've always dreamed of owning one since childhood. Took a little drive through Death Valley and my gf snapped some nice shots!

My first thoughts are holy crap there's torque and power everywhere! Step on the gas and you'll get wheelspin into third. Interestingly enough, it doesn't demand to be driven as hard as the ///M. Any speed is nearly effortless, but it makes a surprisingly good daily. I haven't tried pushing it too hard yet; I can't wait to learn its limits on roadcourses and autocross.

Attached Files:

7. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

^ a beauty!! Can you talk about any more differences between the vette and M3 in terms of cornering, roadholding and just general quickness/acceleration?

8. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Millhouse, lower those eyebrows!"

God, that's nice. I quite like those HREs. They make some beautiful wheels. I have a list of my favourites saved on my desktop so I can daydream options for a future ride haha. :yesway:

9. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

My wife and I were/are part of the VW TDI buyback, so we opted to sell back her beloved TDI Jetta (really was the first big adult purchase for us) yesterday. I've always been a fan of Subaru's and she decided to replace the Jetta with a brand new Limited 2.5i Outback. I'm not much of a car person (other than basic maintenance things like rotating tires, changing brakes, changing oil), I can't do much to a car, but love to watch racing. Obviously Subaru was something we had to check out. Within the price range, I couldn't find anything I thought could compete. Since we moved to Western NY, it seems like the perfect vehicle.

10. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Now that they're more readily available these days (multiple dealers have them in my local region!), I've been seriously debating moving my Focus ST in favor of picking up the new Focus RS. The thing is just so sick, able to track it bone stock but if you get one of the less loud colors (the "Stealth Gray" is calling my name!!!) you're unlikely to attract as much undue attention from the police. :lol: Since we have a TON of them constantly patrolling in NoVa, every little bit you can do beyond just driving the speed limit definitely helps, not trying to give them a reason to WANT to pull me over without having done anything wrong! ;)

The Nitrous Blue looks amazing as well, saw someone at work has one parked in the lot last week, but again I feel like you're asking for more unwanted attention on the highways in a BRIIIIIGHT Blue car, especially around here! :rofl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though we didn't get blasted with snow this year (knock on wood! :lol:) I still miss having the AWD advantage of the Subie when we get a ton of rain and snow, so having AWD plus 350hp would make for a much more fun daily driver, that's for sure! :D Just weighing being responsible and ignoring my car lust versus giving in and eating the higher vechicle cost combined with substantially lower fuel economy. :flame: :lol: It's so fast and shiny, though! :D

11. TheShreddinHand

^ those are definitely cool and I don't know from personal experience but have read the ride is quite punishing for daily driving (moreso than an STi). But if it's just yourself and you don't care, go for it! Haha!

12. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

I mean it definitely should handle tighter than my ST by a good margin, but I've had no issue with the ST as a daily driver for the last 4 years. :D I'm the only one in my car 95%+ of the time, so we'll likely stick with using the wife's SUV for grocery runs and whatnot and my car will be for my commute and the occasional fun scenic driving trips! :cool: I'm hoping to give one a test drive relatively soon, but I'm afraid that doing so might seal the deal for me... :flame: :lol:

13. TheShreddinHand

Well we'll standby for some Ken Blockish videos from you soon. :lol:

14. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

I went through the same dilemma before purchasing my SRT8. I will just say, I haven't regretted the decision once, but it did take me a long time to make it haha. It might eat 93 octane gas like it's nothing, but it's a small price for the amount of fun and enjoyment I get out of it. It's also really nice to no longer drive around lusting after every nice car that I pass, wondering what it would feel like to be driving it.

15. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Thank you! The Z06 has power and torque on tap everywhere and, though the M is quick, the Z just blows it out of the water. Even though it's heavier and slower, the M is a much more nimble car, which I think comes from the rev-happy I6 and much different gear ratios. The steering is much heavier in the Z06, but CoG feels lower and there's much less body roll, so it's more planted in turns. I haven't really pushed it yet.

I knew the M really well through Autocross and Time Trials and I have yet to put the Z through those paces, but I'll definitely share that when I do.

16. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

No hooning action from me since I'll be relying on this one as a daily driver, but I did pull the trigger on it! :lol: I started scouting the local/semi-local marker and found a decent deal on a new 2016 in Shadow Black locally so I worked out a deal with them and brought her home last night! :D I ended up grabbing a black one as after I saw the Stealth Grey in person out under direct sunlight, it looks kinda washed out. The Nitrous Blue is indeed gorgeous in person, but having seen them on the road here, they definitely catch your eye, so I figured black is way more unassuming and should bring less attention my way. ;) I'll post some pics soon, it was like 11pm by the time we got home last night since the dealer was over an hour away, so assuming the weather is nice I think I might take a little trip out to Skyline Drive this weekend! :cool:

Haha you're totally right man! I can't swing an SRT8, but for my purposes and budget the RS will keep me from lusting for other cars for a while and should keep me smiling quite a bit! The nice thing for me coming from an ST to the RS before any crazy major revisions is that the interior still mostly feels like home (few things have moved so I need to read the manual this weekend haha). The power and handling difference was noticeable on the drive home! :D Going to be cutting way back on gear for a while but I think it's a fair trade-off since I wanted one of these so badly for so long. :lol:

17. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Now that I had some daylight to snap a couple cell phone pics, here's my new ride! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The premium forged wheel upgrade includes the SUPER sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires... man, between the torque, AWD and those tires, the launch on this baby is amazing! Especially coming from the ST, the first time I left off a dead stop at a light last night I was shocked! :rofl: Definitey thrilled with the upgrade, think I'm going to be happy with this one for a while! :D

18. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I'm considering buying a really dumb car...

Also that Cayman GTS posted in here is so damn gorgeous.

19. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Oooooh AMG time?! :D

20. TheShreddinHand

Nice man, can't wait to hear about it!

congrats man! Pics look great!