The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

My new ride

2013 Ford Fusion SE. I love this car. So comfortable, quiet, and drives like a dream. The back seat and trunk are huge too. Now if I can just find the proper touch up paint for the wheels.

Can't wait for the rain to quit for a second so I can take some clay bar, polish, and wax to her.

[​IMG]

2. Thall My Circuits

Thall My Circuits All My Circuits

My ProTuned 2003 WRX Wagon

[​IMG]

3. Forrest_H

Forrest_H How can she slap?

This is a long one, but I'm finally bringing myself to post about this.

So, the C5 had a leak in the firewall (specifically, the passenger side footwell, which is where the BCM and wiper module are) that I thought I'd fixed. One particular night, I was driving home from band practice in the worst storm I've seen in Texas. Much to my dismay, the leak had actually gotten worse, killing the wipers. I'd pulled off to the side of the road to try to stop the leak, but I suppose the rain was worse than I thought, as people weren't seeing me through the rain and dark, and were nearly hitting me. I didn't have anywhere else to pull over to, as I was already hugging the curb. Split between frying the BCM and getting rear-ended, or trying to make it down the road to a bank with a covered ATM, I brilliantly decided to follow some tail lights. What I didn't notice was a 3 foot ditch.

I was going about 10mph, and luckily the air bags didn't go off because of that, but I basically drove my car into a ditch and stopped by hitting a wall. Somehow, the engine would crank, but at the time it'd taken in a bit of water, so it wasn't staying on. After a huge headache with the police assuming I was drunk and/or a drug dealer (20 years old with a Corvette in a ditch late at night typically doesn't inspire law-enforcement to assume you did indeed pay for the car), they thankfully gave me a chance to call a tow company my family has used for years.

Now, I'm not the type of person to be critical of ANYONE helping me with a stupid f-cking mistake I made, but what this guy did made even the officers go "dude, what the f-ck are you doing?". Apparently it was his second or third time towing, so I can't be super harsh, but the guy proceeded to try to lift my car BY THE BUMPER. I pretty much just sat there, internally screaming as this dude curls up the bumper and destroys a piece of the car that holds the radiator, smog pump, and a bunch of other .... in place. I spent the next 3 hours effectively showing this guy where you could hook the car and how to get it out of where it was.

Thankfully, the guys at the body shop it was towed to were actually the ones to call out the towing company like "seriously, what the f-ck? That isn't a $3000 towing job", so I didn't blow my savings on the tow. However, even more heartbreaking was the fact that I was quoted at $14,000, which is about $2000 less than I paid for the car. After looking at the price sheet and basically watching the money I'd spent making that car mine go to nothing, I went up to the body shop and told them that there was no way I could afford that.

Here's where stuff gets a little better, though. Somehow the guy at the body shop took a liking to my story with the car and saw my soul absolutely crushed by this whole situation, and went with me under the car to show me that the car still runs, the frame is fine (save for the radiator mount/skid plate threading and holes), the wheels somehow didn't get destroyed, and that, if I was careful and quick, I could DRIVE the car somewhere to where I could sit and fix everything. As much as I hate to admit it, I very seriously went completely into tears of joy. Nearly all of my family has worked for GM at some point, and I've been around this generation of Corvette quite literally since I was old enough to walk and talk, and the fact that at some point, my departed grandfather had hands on this car (potentially, according to his friends and some of my family and the VIN) has made this car way more than a car to me. I am so eternally grateful to James (Body Shop Guy) for taking the time to walk me through the car and get it fixed to the point where I could drive over to my father's garage (I don't have a garage unfortunately), and that dude got some serious beer money from me.

I'll keep you guys posted on what all I have done so far, but I seriously needed to get this off of my chest. Like, i crashed a car made almost entirely out of fiberglass and all I have to do is replace the front bumper, the skid plate (which acts as the support for the radiator), and the radiator. This whole thing has been such a roller coaster but, Jesus, it could have gone so much worse.

4. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

No pics but just picked up a 1999 Toyota 4runner SR5... black. Runs like a champ and every single switch, knob, etc works flawlessly! Lots of mileage but this thing was obviously very well cared for and has an immaculate maintenance log. Interior is amazingly nice too for a vehicle this age. Even has a cassette deck hey lol!

5. BigBaldIan

BigBaldIan Bald and gribbly.

Looks like the Vegvisir in your avatar served you well (in all seriousness), firstly glad you're okay the 'Vette can be fixed more easily than you can. Secondly it's safe where it can get some medical attention, like you said a complete arse but could've been so much worse.

6. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

Buddy of mine just gave me a lift home in his brand new Golf GTI.

F*ck. Me.

What a car. Want one.

7. BigBaldIan

Just realised this:

[​IMG]

Is actually an Ægishjálmur so bit of a runic screw-up there. On a different note I'm awaiting a factory reconned Magnuson LS2 supercharger kit, it's an earlier gen V not VI but should be more than adequate for what I need it to do.

8. Dodeejeroo

Dodeejeroo SS.org Regular

Couple of pics from a local car show yesterday...

Here's Goldie in between my in-laws' 1946 Chevy pickup and their neighbor's early 50's Chevy project.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some shots of the truck before we drove to the show, what you can't see is the supercharged small-block under the hood :cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some pics of my wife and her mom in front of Goldie...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BigBaldIan

Is the pickup going to be kept with the rat-rod look or will paint follow, Goldie is still very nice BTW.

10. Dodeejeroo

The pickup will be painted to match the dash eventually, he had just recently finished a lot of the sheet metal work around the bed and rear fenders. Cool story, that truck is actually his first vehicle, he bought it when he was 15 and it's been evolving ever since. He says he'd have to sit down and think to recall the different engines it has had over the years.

11. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

Oh noooo! I LOVE the current look of it. :yum:

12. aciek_l

aciek_l SS.org Regular

What do you about E46 330i as a daily driver? I have a chance to grab one in great condition instead of my audi A3 1.6. :D I know the maintanance will be more expensive, but AFAIK in not totally huge difference. Gas will be even cheaper, as this BMW have good LPG installed. :)

13. Dodeejeroo

I think the E46 is still one of the best looking generations, never owned one though so I can't comment on the important stuff.

14. Dodeejeroo

Yeah I love the "unfinished" look of it as well. It's an absolute monster as well.

15. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Glad to hear the car can be saved and you're okay. There's a major lesson here: never let towing companies pull your car out of a ditch/tree/object before you show them the proper towing points. I'd rather deal with attitude from the driver if I'm telling them things they already knew vs ending up with damage like you. Had to learn the same lesson on my first accident.

Good luck getting the car back on the road :yesway:

16. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

Anyone here driving a '16 Mazda 3?

17. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

So my Mini threw a rod yesterday. The piston cap on Cylinder 1 blew out the bottom of my engine just above my oil pan and now I have a hole about 2"x3" in the bottom of my engine block, so basically my engine is f*cked. Got quoted $6k so far for a used replacement motor, parts and labor, but I have to call back now and ask about it because the engine they found isn't 100% compatible. Already got a refund on the Balaguer Hyperion I ordered so that softens the financial blow but I'm not looking forward to shelling out this money for my car :/

18. Dodeejeroo

Last Mazda I had was an '08 3, pretty sure it has nothing in common with the new one though. But it was a zippy little guy, could throw that thing into a corner like nothing.

That SUCKS man, was this a high mileage engine? Modified?

19. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

62k tuned Stage 2, so yeah possibly the tune.

20. BigBaldIan

Ouch sorry to hear that.