The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Hey man, the fewer 16-20 year-olds driving, the better haha. Good luck! Your love for cars will create an instant love for driving too. A Miata sounds like a fun first car, considering they're fun even as a 10th car lol. I would love to fly through some of these twisty roads out here in one. My car does it very well, considering its uh, largeness, but it's more fun in between the corners haha

2. BigBaldIan

BigBaldIan Bald and gribbly.

What was it you said....something about wide roads and a lot of desert in case anything got a bit squirrely?:lol:

3. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Indeed haha. A lot of them have walls of rock on both sides though. It was frightening back in the Sub Lime Daytona. Luckily, this one's Sport Mode seems to actually do something. But more than that, I've got some great tires. These BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2s hardly even chirped when I was really getting at it. Just gotta see if the tread life will be worth getting them again, or maybe try the All-Season version. I drive upwards of 2,000 miles/month. If they only last like 7 months, then it'll depend on how much I still like them.

4. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

Never driven a Focus, don't like Ford cars. But i like Ford more than all brands owned by VW Group. Only had a few short trips to/from work in it and it is begging to be thrown around. To my old Corsa its superior in every way, more toys onboard, better/shorter throw on the gear stick, zippy acceleration and a car that will do me for the next 4 years or so.

5. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Fuel pump replacement was successful. This was the first time I'd ever worked on a car apart from changing the oil or changing a tire. It feels great being self sufficient.

6. BigBaldIan

Nicely done, got to replace one of the driver's lamps as the lens has a manky great crack in.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the picure it's just above the small domed front fog and is only accessible from the rear. Yup, this is going to be an absolute ballache.

7. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

Reminds me of when I converted my fog lights to LED DRLs. Had to remove the whole front bumper cover and splice a module into the ECU wiring. Totally worth it.

8. Ebart

Ebart SS.org Regular

I just want an El Camino. Year doesn't matter. Just want one. It's like a dream car. Also, I heard that Ford is remaking the Bronco sometime in the next several years. Add that to the list too.

9. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

My latest Charger gets its first road trip next week. Vegas>Florida. My route is 2,222 miles with 1 Day and 8 hours of driving. Woo!

10. BigBaldIan

All I can say is, PICS!

11. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

^See, photos are why I'm debating with myself over whether or not to cover the front with painters tape. It protects it from the bugs (without purchasing something I'll never use again), but will be so damn ugly haha. I may just bring some cleaning tools and clear it every fuel stop.

12. Dodeejeroo

Dodeejeroo SS.org Regular

I have a coworker who is selling his 1970 El Camino SS. 396 cubic inches of fury, original SS but not numbers matching engine, he's asking $13k up here in NorCal...

13. BigBaldIan

Hmm masking tape or car bra? Still think tape is the better option, or just a box with some bug dissolver and cleaning stuff.

14. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

The is definitely the better option unless I wanted to spend hundreds on one of those clearbra things. But I don't. Haha

I'm just going to bring stuff to clean it every so often.

15. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Did the Lone Pine Time Trials a few weekends ago:

16. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

1852 miles down, 370 to go.

I had forgotten what real humidity feels like. x_x

17. BigBaldIan

A trifle swampy is it? :lol:

In other news Bob sailed through his MOT.

18. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

I'm still enjoying my 2005 Civic, need to do a little work on it though. Quite a few scratches from my duff parking etc., and it needs a service, but it runs beautifully and the vast amount of space inside has been very useful for transporting gear! I've managed to fit all of the following into it on a couple of occasions:

Boot:

My amp (my dad's Peavey Bandit which I was gigging with prior to getting my DRRI)
    My bassist's Markbass 1x12 combo
    My drummer's breakables
    My drummer's folding trolley for carrying his gear around
    My pedalboard
    Our various bags and jackets
    My guitar on the parcel shelf

Back seat:

My singer
    My drummer
    My singer's 88-key Nord Stage II in its case (yes, really. Took quite some manoeuvring but we did it)
    My folding trolley for wheeling the amp around

Front seat:

My bass player, his bass and the singer's keyboard stand

And me in the driver's seat obviously :lol:

It's amazing how much stuff you can fit into a Civic. Very cleverly packaged.

Once my no-claims bonus is hopefully built up a bit and my insurance goes down, I would like something a little faster and more modern though... still needs to be practical, so I'm thinking either a semi-hot hatch or an estate... probably either a newer (2006-on) Civic 1.8 (140-odd bhp) or possibly a mk5 Golf with the amazing 170bhp 1.4 TSI engine. The Golf would be a proper little rocket - 0-60 in under 8 seconds, top speed of near 140mph and because it's turbocharged AND supercharged, about 180lb ft of torque which is far more than I've ever had before. And still nearly 40mpg too.

But hey, I'm a while off being able to afford such a thing. And I still love my little blue 1.6 :D I only got it in September and have put nearly 5000 miles on it.

19. BigBaldIan

^

Firstly I commend you on your mad car-packing Tetris skills. I owned a second gen Skoda Fabia vRS which had the 180bhp 1.4 Twincharged lump and with a DSG unit it's a potent combination. However if you are going to go down that route avoid the earlier (pre 2012 IIRC) models as they drank oil like crazy. The Fabia only had a 3.6l sump and it I ended up carrying a 1.5l bottle of the 5W-30 fully synthetic around as it'd go through it once a month on average.

20. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

So I just bought a new car.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium X Estate. It's so big you could live in it. 2.0 litre Diesel 140bhp with the automatic Powershift gearbox. It's so comfortable and the ride on the motorway is so smooth. It picks up speed quite nicely, it really throws you into your seat.

Not as fast as some of the other cars posted here but it's just right for getting up to 70mph without much effort and fitting everything but the kitchen sink inside.

So glad to be rid of my little Punto Evo :fawk: