The BTBAM megathread (The Parallax II: Future Sequence - 10.9.12)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by mithologian, Jul 16, 2012.

1. jeremyb

jeremyb SS.org Regular

Having seen the real thing in the flesh, I bet this looks even better in reality, dang!

2. bozothedeathmachine

bozothedeathmachine SS.org Regular

Very interested to see where BTBAM takes 7s.

3. chewpac

chewpac working up to 7...

absolutely....this is very cool.

what a sick looking guitar.

4. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

I've always wanted them to get into 7's. I hope this means their next album is a bit heavier than Coma Ecliptic was, and a step back towards their Color's-era sound.

5. piggins411

piggins411 SS.org Regular

I was wondering if anyone here picked up the Bohemian Rhapsody 7"? The B side on it is pretty cool. It was much more Parallax-esque than I was expecting it to be

6. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

What's all that about a 7 string? That image link is broken for me, Color(s) me interested though!

7. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

Did they press it as a 7"? I thought it was just a digital thing, but if there happens to be vinyl then i must have it. It's interesting that it sounded parallax-esque to you, i was getting a really heavy alaska/colors vibe from it

8. piggins411

piggins411 SS.org Regular

Yeah they pressed it into a 7". You should be able to find it on Metal Blade's website. I got an email about it a few weeks ago

9. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Will definitely be ordering it in the very near future

10. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

Probably because of a picture Dustie posted on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BMrxq_yluTi/?taken-by=dustiewaring&hl=fi

...It would be amazing to hear what BTBAM would and could do with 7-string guitars, but... I don't think that's gonna happen, that guitar in the pic is probably something he got for Glass Casket (Dusties other band) or just to add a 7 in his PRS collection. Dunno. I hope im wrong.

11. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

I keep trying to get into BTBAM but every time I listen to them I can't help but think they're trying too hard to be "alt-math-prog-jazz-core". In other words, they irritate me a bit. I don't like how all over-the-map they are. I love bands who incorporate other genres tastefully, but these guys push that too far and the end result is just strange and forced-sounding. They remind me of a bunch of hipsters who were told to write metal music.

12. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

You should try listening to some of their earlier work prior to Colors. They started off as a metal band and have branched out a lot since then, so it's really quite the opposite of what you surmised in your last sentence. At the least you might enjoy some of their less genre bending tracks that are still very unique. If you haven't already, try listening to Selkies or Backwards Marathon from Alaska.

I felt similarly to you when I started listening to them. They are definitely a strange band. It took me many listens to get comfortable with the music and not feel that it was forced. Not saying that will necessarily happen for you, but I do believe they are the type of band that requires a lot of time to appreciate.

13. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

I'll take a listen to your recommendations. I have spotify so it should all be there.

They are OBVIOUSLY very talented musicians so i do appreciate from that end.

Thanks

14. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

Their most "focused" album is The Silent Circus, also their most brutal (and my fav). Definitely check that one out.

15. Deception

Deception deceived

Hey guys, I finished learning Colors and put a cover up. Check it out if you're interested :)

16. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I am very impressed in what you did. At first, I thought you just covered one song from the album but then I saw that the video is a hour and 4 minutes. I have the official guitar tab book for Colors so I know the enormous amount of notes that are in those songs. Man, I wish I had the talent to memorize a whole album and play it in one sitting. Excellent job. :yesway:

17. Deception

Deception deceived

Thanks very much! :) Yeah I used the official tab book for this as well - definitely took a very long time to learn haha

18. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

Seriously, try Alaska and The Silent Circus. I haven't been too into them after Colors but those 3 albums to my ears are outstanding metal/prog. I do get what you mean as far as being unfocused and all over the map, some of their stuff doesn't seem to fit together too well.

19. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Hahaha, amazing. I've wanted to do that before, but I've never gotten around to... you know, memorizing over an hour's worth of BTBAM material. Haha. Nice job.

20. Deception

Deception deceived

Hahaha, thanks! Yeah I've probably got too much time on my hands