The BTBAM megathread (The Parallax II: Future Sequence - 10.9.12)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by mithologian, Jul 16, 2012.

1. MetalheadMC

MetalheadMC SS.org Regular

2. piggins411

piggins411 SS.org Regular

I love in the interview where they all start humming the part from Alaska :lol:

3. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

New album is too damn good!

4. shpence

shpence SS.org Regular

I wonder if the new album is the Mark V also? It's a different tone from what I'm used to hearing from them but I really like it. Not a ton of gain but it sounds huge (I'm thinking about, "The Coma Machine.")

5. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

i'm pretty sure they switched to using axe-fx 2s when they recorded parallax 2 (can't remember which interview it was, i'll edit in the link if i happen to find it), which means they must have switched not too long after that mesa interview, making it hilarious to me that at the end of the interview they were talking about how essential tube amps are to their sound and playing. i can't really fault them though as i've always been in love with both of their tones, especially the racktifier paul used to use :yum: tasty, delicious tone. i'm willing to bet they used a similar setup to parallax's for this album

edit: found it, or one of them. apparently they ran the axe 2 through the power section of a mark v when recording
    Fractal Audio Systems -

6. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

They're definitely using the Axe-Fx II's live, but yeah, not sure about studio.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Even with the AxeFx they still use Mesa power amps and regular amps to run the the Axe through the power section, so they never really left Mesa or tubes for that matter. Live at least.

In an earlier interview they mention that they do rely on the Axe more overseas as it's easier than shipping amps, which is what made the Axe so appealing to begin with.

8. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

Parallax II was recorded with an Axe FX II through a Mark V into a Recto cab.
    Fractal Audio Systems -
    Not sure about Coma Ecliptic yet. Probably the same general set up of Axe II --> power amp.

9. piggins411

Finally gave it a full listen. As usual it's a quite a bit to digest, but Ectopic Stroll and Life in Velvet blew me away from the start

10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Very dense album, but I definitely enjoyed it the first listen through. I was actually quite fine with Tommy mostly using clean vocals.

11. revivalmode

revivalmode SS.org Regular

Just wait until you listened to the whole album atleast 20 times, then it starts to sink in how insane this album is.

I would sell my Kemper in a heartbeat and get an Axe FX II if BTBAM would put all their patches online, lol.

12. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

I may be wrong, but at Temples Festival (UK) it looked like they were using strictly Axe FX II. The tone was SO direct coming out of the P.A.

13. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

Anybody have any idea what scales Paul is using at the beginning of Famine Wolf that he shows off in that video? Sounds like some sort of augmented or wholetone something or other, but it's really interesting.

14. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

This is lining up to be one of my favorite BTBAM albums. Loving all the flavors, the progression, and the (IMO) more mature sound. It's going to be hard to top Colors in my mind because I was obsessed with that one for years, but this is going to be right up there for me.

15. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

Definitely. The songwriting is tighter, the songs are shorter, and things just seem more logical and less silly than before. They still do the bombastic Queen-invoking stuff, but it's way more developed than it was before imo. I wrote about it in my review.

16. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

It makes the heavy parts even heavier. I love this album. Its got everything!

17. piggins411

It also seems like Tommy had more room to work with. Dim Ignition sounds like it came straight from one of his solo albums and there's also a few more moments on the album that reminded me of his solo stuff, although I'm having trouble remembering what they were

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's kinda what I was getting at. :lol:

BTBAM are US based, so when they play North America they use the Axe into their personal Mesa rigs and when they go abroad, such as the UK, they use whatever they can as it's cheaper to go direct at larger venues and share/rent gear at smaller venues.

19. Arsis

Arsis Serious ....age

The new ablum is great. It definitely does not have so much of that chaotic super crazy metal parts that drives a lot of people away from the band. The album is still full of cool tricks but seems have a lot more keyboards and the guitar seems simpler, more rhythm based with plenty of color. Tommy's scream has changed over the past 2 albums.

Did anyone else hear elliptic stroll and think... Dave Mustane at first?

20. Deception

Deception deceived

The bit starting at 3:31 on the Ectopic Stroll makes me think of Super Mario Galaxy.