The BTBAM megathread (The Parallax II: Future Sequence - 10.9.12)

shpence

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While the Waggoner/Waring train is choo-choo-choo-in', here's a cool interview they did with Mesa a while back. They discuss tones and inspiration. Top notch gear nerdery.

I've been patiently listening to Coma Ecliptic and I have to say it might end up being my favorite release of theirs. Way too early to say, but it could happen.

I wonder if the new album is the Mark V also? It's a different tone from what I'm used to hearing from them but I really like it. Not a ton of gain but it sounds huge (I'm thinking about, "The Coma Machine.")

mike0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wonder if the new album is the Mark V also? It's a different tone from what I'm used to hearing from them but I really like it. Not a ton of gain but it sounds huge (I'm thinking about, "The Coma Machine.")

i'm pretty sure they switched to using axe-fx 2s when they recorded parallax 2 (can't remember which interview it was, i'll edit in the link if i happen to find it), which means they must have switched not too long after that mesa interview, making it hilarious to me that at the end of the interview they were talking about how essential tube amps are to their sound and playing. i can't really fault them though as i've always been in love with both of their tones, especially the racktifier paul used to use :yum: tasty, delicious tone. i'm willing to bet they used a similar setup to parallax's for this album

edit: found it, or one of them. apparently they ran the axe 2 through the power section of a mark v when recording
Fractal Audio Systems -

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure they switched to using axe-fx 2s when they recorded parallax 2 (can't remember which interview it was, i'll edit in the link if i happen to find it), which means they must have switched not too long after that mesa interview, making it hilarious to me that at the end of the interview they were talking about how essential tube amps are to their sound and playing. i can't really fault them though as i've always been in love with both of their tones, especially the racktifier paul used to use :yum: tasty, delicious tone. i'm willing to bet they used a similar setup to parallax's for this album

They're definitely using the Axe-Fx II's live, but yeah, not sure about studio.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

edit: found it, or one of them. apparently they ran the axe 2 through the power section of a mark v when recording
Fractal Audio Systems -

Even with the AxeFx they still use Mesa power amps and regular amps to run the the Axe through the power section, so they never really left Mesa or tubes for that matter. Live at least.

In an earlier interview they mention that they do rely on the Axe more overseas as it's easier than shipping amps, which is what made the Axe so appealing to begin with.

piggins411

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally gave it a full listen. As usual it's a quite a bit to digest, but Ectopic Stroll and Life in Velvet blew me away from the start

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Very dense album, but I definitely enjoyed it the first listen through. I was actually quite fine with Tommy mostly using clean vocals.

revivalmode

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally gave it a full listen. As usual it's a quite a bit to digest, but Ectopic Stroll and Life in Velvet blew me away from the start

Just wait until you listened to the whole album atleast 20 times, then it starts to sink in how insane this album is.

I would sell my Kemper in a heartbeat and get an Axe FX II if BTBAM would put all their patches online, lol.

Mwoit

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In an earlier interview they mention that they do rely on the Axe more overseas as it's easier than shipping amps, which is what made the Axe so appealing to begin with.

I may be wrong, but at Temples Festival (UK) it looked like they were using strictly Axe FX II. The tone was SO direct coming out of the P.A.

PlumbTheDerps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anybody have any idea what scales Paul is using at the beginning of Famine Wolf that he shows off in that video? Sounds like some sort of augmented or wholetone something or other, but it's really interesting.

vividox

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is lining up to be one of my favorite BTBAM albums. Loving all the flavors, the progression, and the (IMO) more mature sound. It's going to be hard to top Colors in my mind because I was obsessed with that one for years, but this is going to be right up there for me.

piggins411

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It also seems like Tommy had more room to work with. Dim Ignition sounds like it came straight from one of his solo albums and there's also a few more moments on the album that reminded me of his solo stuff, although I'm having trouble remembering what they were

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but at Temples Festival (UK) it looked like they were using strictly Axe FX II. The tone was SO direct coming out of the P.A.

That's kinda what I was getting at. :lol:

BTBAM are US based, so when they play North America they use the Axe into their personal Mesa rigs and when they go abroad, such as the UK, they use whatever they can as it's cheaper to go direct at larger venues and share/rent gear at smaller venues.

Arsis

Serious ....age
Reaction score
The new ablum is great. It definitely does not have so much of that chaotic super crazy metal parts that drives a lot of people away from the band. The album is still full of cool tricks but seems have a lot more keyboards and the guitar seems simpler, more rhythm based with plenty of color. Tommy's scream has changed over the past 2 albums.

Did anyone else hear elliptic stroll and think... Dave Mustane at first?

Latest posts