The BTBAM megathread (The Parallax II: Future Sequence - 10.9.12)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by mithologian, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

Christ, each song they release is just better and better. So glad they've deviated from the "Colors" sound, not that I don't like it, but more of the same just gets stagnant after a while. This album defintiely sounds really fresh and it seems like they stepped up their game A LOT. So excited to hear the rest of it.

2. Deception

Deception deceived

This is the best one so far! The bit at 1:58 - 2:48 is good stuff ;)

3. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

I've loved everything they have put out, especially Colors, in fact I furiously stroke myself to sleep to White Walls every night, but after listening to this song once I can say with certainty that it's absolutely terrible. Probably the worst thing they've ever done. Not impressed. It's just weird, and not in a good way. Now excuse me while I go listen to the polka part from Prequel to the Sequel for the 8th time today while touching my pee-pee place.
    :noway:

:rolleyes:
    /not

Sorry, I just had to get that out. People's comments on Facebook and MetalSucks crack me up. I don't know when the full beauty of a BTBAM song has ever sunk in after the first listen (a fact I would think most BTBAM "fans" would be well acquainted with), but some people just rush to judgment over a song that's been out for less than a day. :scratch: Silly. I, like others here, love it. :yesway: Glad to hear some nice heaviness in there. Dis album gon be gud.

I also want to echo the Alaska love on this page. Alaska might still be my favorite album from them. It's a perfect balance between their weird technical death metal riffing and the more melodic and progressive sound that came to the forefront in Colors. It has one of my favorite dreamy interludes, Backward Marathon, as well as their straight-up heaviest pieces ever, like Roboturner and Autodidact. Not to mention Breath In, Breath Out. And Medicine Wheel... Better stop now before I just list the whole track listing.
    I've also heard (in other places) Alaska getting a ton of flack for its mix. Personally, I've never had a problem with it. Any engineers care to chip in with an in-depth analysis?

4. piggins411

piggins411 SS.org Regular

5. bozothedeathmachine

bozothedeathmachine SS.org Regular

+, like, a billion.

I don't think I've been completely into anything BTBAM on first listen. To me they are the textbook definition of "growers": it takes a while to sink it, but when it does...damn.

That said, I've been digging everything from Coma Ecliptic since day 1. But I attribute that as learning from my mistakes and giving BTBAM the benefit of doubt from the word "go". And I know I've already said this above, but I love trend away from metalcore to more proggy stuff, so it's really working for me.

6. MetalheadMC

MetalheadMC SS.org Regular

I love this song. Tommy's screams were little weird in one part, but I'm sure it was meant to be. Definitely love the part at 5:08 where it sounds like Paul or Dusty warps that last note straight into a clean section. Brilliant

7. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

Never really could get into BTBAM even after multiple listens. REALLY liking what I am hearing for once and it is happening upon the first listen. I think this will be the first BTBAM album that I will like. I know, crucify me.

8. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

No crucifixion necessary! Maybe this will be your gateway album. If not... well, we can always crucify you later. :deathm:
    Just playing of course. Somebody enjoying any BTBAM is a victory for great music in my book.

9. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

I took a break from BTBAM for a while, mainly because I saw them twice in the same year, one of those concerts being the Parallax tour, so I had gone through my mega worship phase with them. I've only listened to Famine Wolf and Memory Palace so far but I know I'm gonna love this. They're so grand and inspiring. For me it always takes a ton of listens to fully appreciate their music.

I love all of their albums but I started with Colors and The Great Misdirect so I listen to that side more, but I love their older albums too. Alaska and Colors make me feel like I actually have the potential to write riffs like that, assuming I could ever reach anything close to their level.

10. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

11. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I love everything these guys have done. On earlier releases, I thought the guitars sounded thin and the vocals fought for the same space. Just never liked how they were mixed. Made it hard to listen to in large doses. What I've heard of this sounds amazing. I'm really excited for this release.

12. piggins411

The Parallax EP was the first time I appreciated their stuff on the first listen. This album is hitting me in all of the right places so far. Loving the shorter song approach

13. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Whoa! I'm loving this.

14. piggins411

I'm assuming that's a leak? If so you should take that down

15. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Ah yes, I think it was. I wasn't really paying attention, I just searched for it on youtube. Thought it was out already, since Metal Sucks has a review online.

16. Unburdened

Unburdened SS.org Regular

I've been saying since The Great Misdirect that BTBAM should severely lessen, if not completely remove, their use of screaming and overtly 'metallic' elements. It has felt like, since then, the heavier elements have been the afterthought and the focus was on the progressive and melodic sections. It seems like they're taking the full prog/melodic plunge on the new one. Good for them, it's a logical progression.

That said, I don't think there's anything that ground breaking on the three newest albums. :scratch: Only accounting for my taste, I'd prefer them keep the heavier elements but actually combine them more fully with the melodic vocals, rather than just separating things more and more distinctly. Only my opinion though!

17. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Eh?

18. jjfiegel

jjfiegel SS.org Regular

I will say that when I saw them last, when they played Ghosts and EE, I noticed that the harsh sections would build and build, but not climax, only to go right into some Bungle noodling. I had never really felt that way before, and it was either the cookie I ate before the show, or the insane energy of the show that left me feeling blue balled when the harshes stopped.

It's something that I thought they had fixed by P2 (as the cleans and melodies became more present throughout the songs instead of them being harsh -> clean -> and maybe harsh again), but it's definitely a problem that has plagued them since Colors. Like, I love the last section of Fossil Genera, but I always want to stop Fossil after the "we are the new government" because that section hits so hard, and what follows honestly feels like a different song.

From the songs we're allowed to talk about, I think Famine Wolf is great example of them fixing this problem. Of course, I said this about P2 when it came out so maybe I'll change my tune later. I thought the harshes in Coma Machine and Memory Palace truly did feel like afterthoughts, but Famine Wolf does it very well, creating and adding to the energy already established earlier in the song. The song gets soft and weird, but not to the derailment of it.

Really looking forward to the next few albums and how they build upon this sound.

19. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

:lol:

I like the new songs. They're really good. I like the direction they took with them.

20. chevymeister

chevymeister SS.org Regular

I couldn't help myself and had to hear it early... Option Oblivion is one of the best damn songs I've heard in ....ing EVER. That solo piece floored me.