The Bogner Uber Twin Jet SUCKS!?!?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Yeah i said it. After giving it a fair chance i can safely say.... Yuck!
    Its everything i hated about the mesa recto but MORE where as the recto could be dialed to suit me.
    Grainy harsh mids that are always present and create a blanket of toneless noise. A grainy fizzy topend. Lowend that is either flub or non existant. Though its super mid heavy it always felt bodiless. Just eww. No matter how i dialed in its stupid wonky eq the underlying tone character was there.
    I wanted to like it. I really did. But it is just not for me.
    After i get some YT vids out of it i am selling promptly!

To think i got rid of my vh140 for this.
    Lesson of the day: Dont buy/sell before trying kids!

cGoEcYk and Spinedriver like this.
  2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

What PUs did you use for testing?

3. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

What speakers were you using it with?

4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Never seen one or tried one but based on YT clips it sounds fine to me. Not my thing but I don't hear any issues with it per se.

How loud were you playing it and what speakers did you use?

5. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

emg 808 in one giitar and blackouts the other.

dual mesa recto 2x12 cabs.

6. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Oh and home volume as well ss loud band and gig vol

I mean nothing is wrong 28th it but just not my thing. I may be exagerated a slight bit to get my point across.

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

You’re describing what I don’t like about the uberschall model in the axe FX. I’ve never tried a real one, I just figured the model wasn’t good since I do like some of the clips I head on YouTube. Maybe not!

8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

What amp are you going to grab next?

Have you tried a Dual Dark yet?

9. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

No but i once owned a dark terror which was cool.

10. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

This sounds like either too much gain or channel volume not being set right (it's a tone control just as much as a "balance the volume between channels" control; too low gets "clangy/buzzy" in an ugly Line6 way, too high softens things into a wash). Aren't you also running lower-headroom tubes in it? That'll make things looser every time.

That said, if you don't like Rectos, the TJ might not be the amp for you since a lot of its gain structure is heavily inspired by the Recto (see: channel presence knob discussion in the other thread).

11. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Just a thought but maybe it’s not getting along with your cab? I have zero experience with the Twin Jet but I have way too many cabs and way too many speakers. Border line too many amps. After lots of experimentation I’ve found that sometimes a setup that sounds good on paper doesn’t sound good in a room or doesn’t sound good mic’d up. I’m assuming that amp is voiced to sound good through an Uberkab. Uberkab’s come with a G12T-75 V30 combo correct? 1960A’s are everywhere. Maybe you can locate one to try out. Greenbacks are a great option to tame overly bassy amps and smooth out the mids with volume. They’re a little fizzy at low volume. P50e’s can give you some punchy lows and hollow out the mids without that G12T-75 presence but are similar to Greenies in that they need some volume to even out. Maybe you don’t like your new amp but more times than not I’ve found that most high gain amps need to be paired with a complimentary speaker for the best results in the room and everything changes with a mic and eq’ing. It’s a Bogner Twin Jet, I bet it can sound good. 2 cents given.

USMarine75 likes this.
  12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I’d be happy to relieve you of your burden— free of charge! Just pm me when it’s ready to ship.

AngryWhiteMan and Gmork like this.
  13. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Free of charge HA! good one

KailM likes this.
  14. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

dont worry man im sure the next several-thousand dollar boutique hi gain amp you buy will finally be the one

15. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

What settings are you running? Flub is definitely not a word I'd use to describe my Twin Jet unless the gain, bass, and resonance were all absolutely cranked

16. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

love the positive outlook. I think youre probably right. Also i think i the problem was that i didnt quite spend enough, next one will be more expensive!

17. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Another thought, I’m curious have you heard it in a mix or a band situation yet? That “grainy fizzy topend” might disappear with cymbals present, the “non existent” lows might allow your bassist or bass track to really pound and the “grainy harsh mids that are always present” may transform when the low and high end are sitting underneath the rest of whatever else you have going on. Those amps get so much love, it’s strange to hear a negative report.

18. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ive played it at home, at band practice and on stage at a gig. Im not saying its a bad amp, its obviously a legend for a reason but it just is not jiving with me AT ALL. ive always felt i was really good at dialing in great tones with everything ive ever used over the years and have had many compliments etc but the twin jet has risen the the challenge and has defeated me lol.

I only play 8 string and love my lowend/low mids, my band has never had a bass player in the 5 years weve been active which is another reason i prefer to heap on the lowend lol.

19. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

ah, maybe it's the 8-string that does it -- I admit I've never heard a demo with that combination. But it otherwise sounds really crushingly tight in almost all the videos I've seen :-/ KT88s man, how is this not tight?

20. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

What happened to the Port City you just got?