The BlackStar Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by will_shred, Oct 4, 2013.

1. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

The following is taken from page 6 of the HT-5 handbook...

The HT-5 also has a fully specified stereo speaker emulated output which further
    enhances the studio credentials and allows any guitarist to get amazing valve
    tone straight to tape or disk, or through headphones. It also features the unique
    4x12/1x12 voicing switch allowing you to change the tonal characteristics of the
    emulated signal between two emulated cabinet types.
    The stereo speaker emulated output can be used at the same time as the internal
    speaker/extension cab, providing headphone free monitoring or the choice to blend
    a mic’d speaker and emulated signal together for unrivalled usability when recording
    at home or in the studio. In addition the speaker output can be turned off for ‘silent’
    practice or recording.

http://www.blackstaramps.com/pdf/handbooks/ht-5r-handbook.pdf

2. MistaSnowman

After my trip to Sam Ash today, I'm pretty sure that my next amp will be a Blackstar, which will mark a return to the brand for me. To set the back-story, my first amp was an HT-5C and as much as I loved the amp, I sold it to a family member to help them out. Since then, I've been trying to chase down the perfect product to replace my HT-5C to no avail.

Today, I demo'd the ID:60TVP, a HT-5, a HT-1, and the HT Club 40. I was intrigued by the ID amp because I've heard pretty high praise from reviews. However, after my time with the POD HD500, I was skeptical about getting another modeling-type amp. After playing the ID today, I can honestly say that I'm impressed with this amp. With that said, I'm down to two choices...either the ID:30TVP or the HT-5TH/HT-5210.

3. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile

Anyone have an idea how much my used HT-5 would be worth?

Plain HT-5 model with the matching Blackstar 1x10 cabinet, absolutely perfect condition (no scratches, discoloration, or even aging at all). I still have that cardboard piece which comes on top of it and explains the features.

It's a good amp, but I'm just looking for something with more of a death metal vibe, and the HT-5 gets pretty muddy when I play low E standard, and is too low on gain for me. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the JCA22h as my next step up.

Located in the U.S., if that changes it. I've owned the amp for two years now.

4. MistaSnowman

Probably in the $200-$300 range.

5. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile

Ah well, lower than I had hoped, but I got it for $400 total, so it's not too bad.

6. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Thanks dude :hbang:

7. Wickedout2014

Wickedout2014 SS.org Regular

Hi there my follow Blackstar mates! Just this pass week I did much research on what to order. I wanted to have all the sounds of blues, classic rock, hard rock and metal on in one amp! This one I was sold on with how wonderful it performs and sounds. This is great amp in a little package. Here's my gear! Hope to learn more as time rolls on. :shred:

8. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Looks like i'm going to jam with my friends post-grunge outfit. This should be fun, as my band hasn't done jack shit in about 5 months and I've just about given up on them.

The other guitar player uses a Mesa Duel Rec with a straight 4x12, so this should be interesting to see how well by Blackstar can keep up.

9. Path

Path SS.org Regular

these cabs are ace, my mate has one, and the tone is sick

10. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Anyone have any experience with the Blackstar distortion pedals?

11. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Wait, from what I've researched the ID100 doesn't have an FX loop.:scratch:

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

They released a firmware update that makes the emulated output/line become an efx loop. Usb from front of amp to pc and you open up the software, it then automatically updates to the latest firmware for the amp

Sadly its 1 or the other though and you choose between them on the free ID software that you download. So I turned on efx loop via the software and therefore lost the ability to use Emulated output etc. I mic up at gigs anyway so no biggie for me and i would rather have an efx loop over emulated output so :hbang:

13. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Wow thats actually pretty damn cool. How does that ID100 hold up at full band volume, doesnt get harsh and plenty loud? 100w SS is borderline minimum I think.

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Its certainly loud as valve amps for sure. My bands other guitarist has a 120watt Laney Ironheart and it sits fine volume wise with him.

Its just compared to his tone the amp seems thin. Ive tried bass full, resonance full, treble and presence low and even adjusted levels on the EQ pedals I have (and Im using the EL34 option on the amp) and it just doesnt seem to compare. There is a clear but yet full on power rumble from the 6l6s in the Ironheart that atm Ive been unable to get close too. I think its a fine practice amp and its quick and easy recording options are great. Its onboard effects also sound great..... but for Gigs?. Afraid not for me. Im keeping mine at least for the moment but I am now saving up for another Valve amp because imo unless you go Kemper or Axe Fx you just do NOT get close to a valve amp

Hope this helps somewhat. If you want to know anything else just ask dude \m/ Ive gigged with it about 5 times and regularly do band practice with it so Ive got a pretty good Idea about it now

15. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

16. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Hmm, was afraid of that but good to know. Seems like the closest thing I've ever heard to an "All in One Solution" was the Vypr 120h. But bugs and lack of a loop scared me away. Few people around here I know use an HD147, but it sounds like all bass and highs to me.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I forgot to say through a 4x12 makes the amp sound 60% better. My home practice 2x12 (laney irt 2x12) is fine for leads but lacks rumble etc for rhythm. Take it to band practices through a 4x12 and straight away its so much better. Tonally still has the above issues though.

iv heard some things about that Line 6. Tbh i now dont trust any digital amps to replicate the tone of a valve except kemper, axe fx II and the dv mark multiamp. Valves for me are just in their own league. Shame because I would love affordable digital amps to really equal valves...but sadly it isnt to be so Valves are the way haha :hbang:

18. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Lewis, can you defeat the preamp modelling? I know it may defeat the porpoise of the head, but throwing an HT-Dual in there might be the answer. That and/or a Sonic stomp. The BBE pedal is good at bringing out fullness and doesn't suck tone like the rackmount.

19. Wickedout2014

Wickedout2014 SS.org Regular

Had a good chance to riff it up today with my new BlackStar HT-5R combo! It's the real deal. The settings are simply amazing! This little amp can gig at a small pup if it had to! Great amp all the way! Rock on mates!!

20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

This was my first aim funnily enough. I bought a HT Boost pedal alongside the ID100 thinking I will throw the tube pedal in the Loop. The HT boost is a clean boost pedal so perhaps I went wrong buying that one instead of one of the many other tube pedals, but basically it just didnt seem to work. The Amp was REALLY quiet even with the pedal on max and just generated like a clean tone almost but sounded like my tone knob was rolled off. Was bizzare tbh. I tried cranking my Maxon OD pedal outfront etc and just couldnt get it to sound good.

Was a bizzare outcome, on paper it sounded a good Idea but just didnt work for me so I sold the HT Boost and went back to just using the Amps stock pre/power amps

is this basically what you were suggesting?

EDIT: After further research I think your right. I think had I got the HT Dual and If I now buy a BBE Sonic Stomp it will better the amps sound for sure