The Black Dahlia Murder - Verminous

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Acrid, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

upload_2020-3-31_17-13-48.jpeg

Preorder just in!!

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

3. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

wow, a full 17 days before release? lucky bastard

4. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Anyone else get it yet? Definitely a discussion worthy album but I don’t want to spoil anything if nobody’s heard it yet.

5. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

Really looking forward to this based on the first two singles - is it good?

6. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

That solo on Sunless Empire rips. :shred:

7. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

The songs are pretty incredible, I think the album is a departure from everything else they’ve released. Brandon’s influence seems apparent. I’m not claiming I know who wrote what, I don’t, but I hear more thrash and power metal elements on this album. That may be a positive for some listeners and a negative for others. ‘Miasma’ it is not. The lead work is impressive. Ellis definitely has a style but avoids predictability well. That was my only gripe with Ryan Knight, although I feel songwriting of that era left a high water mark. It has some of most intricate drum patterns that I’ve heard on a TBDM album and Max’s bass lines are interesting to listen to. The bass track switches between locking in with the drums in parts and beefing up the riff in others, his efficiency at this is more noticeable to me on this album. Overall the album is very melodic but (spoiler alert) Trevor doesn’t “sing” on it *ahem Randy Blythe*...thank you for that Trevor. The acoustic track I really liked and it leads into one of their best closers to date. The final track reminded me of when “The Divine Falsehood” hits on JFAC’s ‘Genesis’ album, the overused adjective “epic” fits nicely. What I didn’t like about the album was the guitar tone and the “clank” on the bass track that comes out on my truck stereo. This was one thing I really wanted some more opinions on because I’m waiting for new monitors at home and I’ve only been able to listen in my truck. I’m hoping my opinion changes with a different system. The system in my truck isn’t bad but I want to hear it through some excellent headphones or monitors before I make my mind up. I realize too that I prefer a lot of compression and thicker less refined guitar tones which isn’t what some people want to hear. I also didn’t like the ‘Everblack’ sound and other people seemed to love it. I felt that sounded congested. The guitar tracks got lost for me for the opposite reason, on ‘Verminous’ they sound thin. As a guitar player, I’m buying it for the riffs and big tones. The guitar rhythm tracks were less featured on this release, probably because the songs as a whole stand on their own track to track.

Alex79, AngryWhiteMan and Bdtunn like this.
  8. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

^^^I noticed that "clank" on the bass guitar on Nightbringers too; the only thing I didn't care for on that album. While I've only heard the first two singles on this one, the production does seem to be pretty close to what they did with Nightbringers.

AngryWhiteMan likes this.
  9. AngryWhiteMan

AngryWhiteMan SS.org Regular

Is the bass "clank" intentional or a production f'up? I kind of like it. Ellis is a gem and he is able to make simple shit sound impossibly detailed, rich and interesting.

10. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I doubt it. Without talking to the producer (Tue Madsen right? Got to look in the liner again) I can only speculate. The album is too cohesive for it to be unintentional in my opinion. It’s very apparent a lot of work went into it. I really doubt a metallic bass tone would go unnoticed, I would guess it was created. I’m just the end user, a TBDM fan since I first heard ‘Miasma’ and a musical hobbyist so what do I know. The album is a masterpiece, there are some aspects about it I don’t like but my opinion is just my opinion. I like the borderline sloppy, big, separated guitar tracks from ‘Miasma’, I like the “volume war” era compression from the first ‘Slaughter of the Soul’ version better than the Full Dynamic Range version, I play guitars with EMG’s and Invaders. Why does that matter? It doesn’t. My point is just because I don’t like the guitar and bass tone doesn’t make it any less impressive to me. I’m so glad my favorite metal band hasn’t gone the way of In Flames or Lamb of God.

A friend sent me this video while I was at work tonight:

It puts a few things in perspective. I really hear the King Diamond influence in Ellis’ playing and what I assume are his songwriting contributions.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

My DND set with the album came in a week or two ago as well.

Necky379 likes this.
  12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Necky379 nailed it. Definitely intentional, and by no means ruins the album for me. Just kinda like preferring a chocolate sundae to not also have chocolate chips; but chocolate syrup only.

I feel the same way about the last C'theilist album. I'd enjoy that record even more if the bass was not so clanky/slappy, but it's still a marvelous album.

AngryWhiteMan and Necky379 like this.
  13. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Idk if they’ve been taken down yet, but I’ve seen several full album of this on YouTube. I listened to it. It’s not bad.

AngryWhiteMan likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

me no gud at reviews so here's a haiku:

album short and sweet
    definite rippers in it
    Riffage galore too

wereworm's feast, leather apron's scorn, how very dead, removal of the oaken stake, child of night are the best songs on the album imo

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Necky379 and AngryWhiteMan like this.
  15. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Just got the (digital) album now, listening to it the first time over proper headphones (Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro). Yes, the bass definitely is "clanky". I like it, it gives it a more modern and percussive sound.

16. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Album is pretty weak, the only memorable song is Sunless Empire.

Oh well.

BIG ND SWEATY likes this.
  17. DeathbyDesign

DeathbyDesign *Palm Muting Intensifies*

Made the first pass this morning with the album. So far so good. Riffs are pretty tasty. Bummed that the testament tour was cancelled/postponed but what can do you.

18. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

19. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Oaken Stake is sick right?

20. JK-PA

JK-PA SS.org Regular

Love the album, just wish EU pre orders weren't pushed back by a week...