The Black Dahlia Murder - Verminous

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Acrid, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

The song is good but it didn't blow me away as having any amazing riffs or catchy moments. I still enjoy TBDM, they consistently work hard and bring the intensity.

I don't think they've done an album I'd rate as anything other than an 8/10, except for Miasma and Nocturnal, which I consider to be 10/10 albums and one of the greatest back to back album releases ever. They'd both be in my top 10 metal albums of all time list.

JimF and Alex79 like this.
  2. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Add Unhallowed to that list and you've got a deal. Nocturnal gets a lot of love, rightfully so, but Unhallowed is still their best work IMO. Classic after classic from start to finish.

3. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

From Brandon Ellis himself:
    "All of the guitars were recorded on my Kelly with the Seymour Duncan PATB2, and the D'addario EXL117 string set. For the rhythms we used a Maxon OD808 overdrive, I used the preamp from my Peavey 6505mh mini head into the power amp of my Baron K2 120w KT88 head by connecting the fx send from the Peavey to the fx return of the Baron. Get that 6505 sound with some extra boldness from the KT88 tubes. That went into my 90s Mesa 4x12 rectifier cab, I took the grillcloth off to get a better view of the speaker and closer access to it, put an SM57 on the edge of the cap of the best sounding of the 4 speakers, and it went into a neve 1073lb mic preamp. For the lead guitars it was the same thing but with my krank nineteen80 instead of the Peavey/Baron combo."

Alex79, MAJ Meadows SF, gunch and 4 others like this.
  4. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

@oracles You’re the man, where did you find that? I’m going to add that to the Deflorate setup text file.

5. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Brandon answered the question on his FB when someone asked what his signal chain was

works0fheart likes this.
  6. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 Mobius Guitars

New song is good, I still think Deflorate is pinnacle TBDM, though..

works0fheart likes this.
  7. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

TBDM is great at threading the needle of making something that fits with their catalog and also sounds different. Personally I think they have yet to top Deflorate in terms of songwriting and Nocturnal in terms of mix (although it's starting to sound a little dated now imo) but Brandon fucking rips and his leads have a great vibe.

8. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Unhallowed, I'd give it a 9.5.

I was lucky enough to see TBDM live on the Miasma tour in a tiny club with about 40 people in the crowd, but it was such a small club (Trillians, Newcastle, UK) that the energy build up in there was incredible. It was one of the most insane gigs I've ever been to.

I saw them again at the same place on the pre-release tour for Nocturnal but they couldn't play as the drummer had food poisoning. They played Nocturnal for us over the club PA at a time before even journalists had review copies, then me and my buddies took them out to party, footage of our night appeared in the "What a Terrible Night to Have a Curse" video and on the Majesty DVD

The last time I saw them live was on Everblack tour, sadly in a much larger club this time round, owning to their surging popularity. I did talk to the guys again and they invited me to come party with them but I had to decline as I had just got the keys to my new house that very day and started moving in, I was so tired I couldn't wait to get home and sleep.

I'd love to see them again but every time they come to the UK now they only do a small handful of gigs. It's a shame, but I'm glad I got to see them in the early days.

9. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Maybe its just my musical tastes changing but I'm not feeling that new song at all. Not a single part stood out to me. They've honestly sounded the same to me since Abysmal was released.

BusinessMan and works0fheart like this.
  10. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

I haven't cared about anything they've put out since Nocturnal. However, the recent stuff i've heard was decent and they're always worth seeing live

xzacx and Deep Blue like this.
  11. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

sounds pretty good

unhallowed is one of my favorite albums

12. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Honestly, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I haven't had much interest in their sound since Nightbringers. Since Brandon has came in the riffs have kind of gone a more traditional route with a lot more shredding up front. This song is already much more riffy than a majority of the songs on Nightbringers but it doesn't scratch that riff-itch to me like Abysmal and prior did. I don't know. I love the guys solos and I think he can certainly play the material really well when he was filling in for the band, but I don't know if I like what he brings to the table in terms of songwriting. No disrespect to him, he's an awesome player, but I could hear the same sort of shift in sound when he started writing in Arsis as well, and it sounds more thrashy. There's nothing wrong with that type of playing, but I feel it doesn't fit either of those bands previously more chunky, technical riff structures. I'll still be buying this because I'm sure it's a solid release, but I would like to see the riff-laden song structures that I usually associate them with. I honestly think Ryan Knight was just a better songwriter in regards to both bands style's. Brandon can certainly play all of his material and shred his ass off, but Ryan helped write a lot of their best material and some of the best phrasing in solos I've ever heard (Carbonized in Cruciform, Refaced, I will return). Even his playing in Arsis when he was with them was some of the best material they've ever made (Overthrown, Hopeless Truth, Lust before the Maggots Conquest).

I still love this band to death and I'll never skip a show from them when they come through town because they're amazing live, I love enough of their back catalogue, and they're just a friendly bunch of dudes. Honestly, other metal bands should aspire to be as consistent as they are. Even if I don't care for this song much it still sounds very distinct as being TBDM. Hell, I almost kind of feel bad for not liking it, but Idk man, this just sounds off to me.

13. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

I agree - I think they've sort of had 2 peaks. One with Nocturnal, then again with a different lineup on Ritual. Since then I think they've not been able to reach the same heights (though Everblack comes close behind Ritual for me).

Shannon Lucas, Ryan Knight and Bart Williams were the key ingredients I think.

14. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

After a couple listens, I'll admit this song doesn't blow me away, but it's solid nonetheless. The mix sounds almost identical to Nightbringers, which is to say it sounds great. For me, they kind of stagnated after Nocturnal, but Nightbringers was a big comeback. I doubt this is the best song on the album, in any case. I will be optimistic for the next release. I do think there was some magic in the songwriting in Nocturnal that they haven't touched since. So dark, depressing. Not their most technical music, but I think their best.

Mathemagician and Pat like this.
  15. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

JK-PA likes this.
  16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

17. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Mathemagician and MAJ Meadows SF like this.
  18. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    I’m stoked for this for sure. Love these guys, and have pretty similar sentiments as most people here.

That Baron K2 is a beast! I should’ve kept the one I had. I love the idea of combining it with a Peavey 6505MH. KT88s are my favorite big bottle tubes for sure. Makes everything sound better!

19. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Listening now. Just not on the best speakers :lol:.

As for the OP, Verminous is a ripper of a tune. Wonder if I can get back on the merch table for the Toronto show...

Necky379 likes this.
  20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

It’s restocked now with green dice instead of black. Just ordered mine.

GOGOGO! Lol.