The Beginning to your Musical journey

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always liked country growing up, because that's what my dad listened to. About the time I was getting to the age where you cannot like anything your parents do, I was at a party at my friends house and he put in a Lynyrd Skynyrd tape and that was the greatest thing I ever heard. My dad played guitar so I asked if I could try to play one of his guitars because I HAD to learn Freebird, and I got as far as depending where I put my fingers it sounds different before he told me to put it up before I screwed it up. Then a couple years later I saw the video for American Idiot on MTV (remember when that was a thing?) and that blew my mind because I'd never heard anything like it before.

That really lit a fire under my ass to learn how to play guitar, especially because my dad hated it. I bugged my dad enough to buy me a Washburn Idol, and try to get him to teach me how to play guitar. He taught me how to play a C and G chord and how to play Dixie then basically told me figure the rest of that shit out by yourself. I tried taking guitar lessons. That lasted a couple months because he was trying to teach me scales and stuff when I wanted to play Green Day and Misfits songs. About the last lesson I went to I was getting into heavier stuff like Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica and Pantera, and he told me I would never be able to play anything fast if all I did was downpick. So I spent the next 5 years trying to be James Hetfield. I finally got to the point where I could downpick Blackened at 200 bpm.

Around that time I was getting burnt out on playing the same thing night after night so I spent the next couple years playing guitar on and off, and now I've got the bug again, but I'm actually trying to learn guitar right this time.

I discovered so many bands during that era doing exactly the same thing. Just clicking on related items on Amazon :lol:

That shit's cost me a bunch of money trying to buy cartoons for my kids. :lol: People who bought Super Mario cartoons also bought He Man and Thundercats because you can only take so much Paw Patrol.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
12 or 13, wanted to learn “My Own Summer” by Deftones. Then I got heavy into Thrash. Then I discovered Fates Warning, Dream Theater, and Queensryche is a very short period of time. Then went to school for music and discovered everything under the damn sun.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
12 or 13, wanted to learn “My Own Summer” by Deftones. Then I got heavy into Thrash. Then I discovered Fates Warning, Dream Theater, and Queensryche is a very short period of time. Then went to school for music and discovered everything under the damn sun.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
There have been a couple of really important moments for me that have kind of congealed together what I consider my style and/or approach to writing.

First was when I was a young teenager. My parents would always play some music during dinner, always something different. From Motown to Hendrix, prog rock to 80s synth pop, even some modern stuff like Stone Temple Pilots. But then one night at dinner, my dad put on Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's 'Brain Salad Surgery'. The album hit me like a ton of bricks. It was so precise, so musical, and even with the instrumentation in it, it was captivating as all hell. While they became the first band I truly latched onto, I still kind of floated around, musically. I had a mild interest in piano, at that point. Dad plays guitar and bass, so I was plunking around on those as well.

Shortly after Guitar Hero II came out, I had bought it and was fervently playing it, so deeply enjoying all the songs I could mime along to on a tiny, plastic guitar. One of the tracks that you had to unlock to play, was one that stuck out from all the rest. Jordan, by Buckethead. The demo of the song that played sounded unlike anything I had heard any other guitar player do. I worked to unlocking it, played through it, and was just mesmerized. It was like suddenly finding this door that was open, that I had to explore through.
I soon came across some Buckethead at a nearby bookstore. (Long gone, they all seem to be disappearing...) I picked up Monsters & Robots, and Enter the Chicken. Between those two albums, I quickly came to realize just what kind of guitar player he was. So much technical skill, so much blistering speed, but yet, he knows when to feel notes to play out, when to go more loosely into solos. It's a feat very few other guitarists can do, in my mind.

I think another one is discovering Devin Townsend. Because his music is so deeply emotional, what he sings about and what he plays are so straight from the heart that you just feel it in every note. And I feel like because of him, no matter what I strive to play, I hope to do it with the amount of love and devotion to pouring my soul into the music that he has, and is continuing to do.

mongey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
it wasn't metal but my gateway into heavier music was guns and roses appetite for destruction

I was 15 or so when I heard it for the first time and it was about drinking , drugs and fucking chicks and i thought it was amazing.I listened to it every day for about a year . then i started dabbling in metallic and stuff at the time .but GnR was def the gateway

funny thing is its the only GnR album I liked. when the use you illusion albums came out it sounded way to polished for me and i didn't like it at all

MickD7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Age 6: my earliest memory of being drawn to guitar was hearing my Dads record collection Rainbow,Sabbath,Camel,ELO,AC/DC,Queen and of course most importantly Pink Floyd. It was also the time I first heard Metallica The Unforgiven Part II that drew me to guitar

Ages 7-9: I joined the school choir, tried drums and hated the “music” teacher at the school as he was also a sport teacher and did everything with the bully undertone in his voice.

Age 9: I got my first guitar at a garage sale for $20. I had that guitar up until I turned 25 and donated it to a young Indigenous Australian boy along with some other stuff. From the age of 9 till I was 13 I taught myself to play from my dads records and guitar magazines and cassette tapes

Age 13: I got accepted into a scholarship program for music in High School, this is when I started learning Jazz,Blues,Fusion and other contemporary styles of music

Ages 14-17: I worked my butt off in a High School and exceeded the expectations of my peers and teachers, every time I got slapped down by the teacher or someone in the program I just kept going, I didn’t want anyone to tell me otherwise. I started teaching part time at 15 and working in a music store as well. I discovered Deftones,Tool,DEP and Meshuggah and it pretty much changed my life along with Australian bands like Karnivool and Cog

Ages 17-19: I kept gigging in bands,teaching,guitar teching and studying music and audio engineering as well as a host of other projects that I had on the go. I got a diploma under my belt and got my first Ibanez 7 string

Ages 20-28: I’ve kept pursuing my career in music. I still gig doing both originals and covers I’ve worked in a host of music stores and projects, I have teched for some of my favourite local musicians and my band started gaining a bit more traction with support slots and podcasts ect. We supported Leprous,Caligulas Horse and many more. I start studying Jazz Improvisation and Advance Music Theory in June.

Best moment? Doing a vast majority of this with my girlfriend->fiancé and now wife supporting me from the age of 15

Worst moment? My mental health hitting me with setbacks and self doubt.

PBGas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a kid growing up, I used to listen to all of the “records”.....yes.....those black spinning discs that my parents and sister had. I wore many of them out. Yes, I’m old and proud of it! LOL!

Some very early convoluted mess of: ABBA, some Disco thrown in, The Eagles, Styx, Cheap Trick.....

Which led to.....

Early Black Sabbath...then AC/DC! That Highway to hell album was worn out as well as Back In Black!.......The other game changer for me was the first Van Halen Album. Those guitar tones and riffs had me playing for hours on end.

Then I got into Maiden, Dokken, Ratt, Judas Priest, Kiss....etc....etc....Dream Theatr, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai....

Love all of it still today! I’m not your typical old fart though....currently love Devin Townsend, Breaking Benjamin, FFDPunch, and whatever new is out there.

NateFalcon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Always listened to heavy music as a kid but what made me actually pick up a guitar was funnily enough...Public Enemy, around 1991 (11yrs old) there was the “Bring the noise” collaboration with Anthrax, and I believe the Public Enemy track was out before Attack of the Killer B’s -anyway me and my buddy jammed out all afternoon on that damned song and I went to Beacock’s music the next day and conned my grandpa into buying me a blue Hamer les paul copy and a Peavey Ultra+ head and a Peavey 212 cab. My grandparents raised me and were super cool about supporting anything artsy so when I asked for a guitar and amp they insisted I get lessons and I’ll never forget my first teacher (Mark Lengal -thanks!!)...it was all downhill from there. I really was pretty fortunate