The BAT-357String; This 7 string Guitar which was designed and built at PBC/Bunker Guitars

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dave Bunker, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Dave Bunker

Dave Bunker New 7+ string hex mute technology

Hello Shawn, Seahawks starting great this year, Russell is leading the pack. I was a Washington resident until two years ago and went to the very first Seahawk game at the original old Kingdome stadium. The difference was I went to the game with the opposing team's owner, you say what!

My self and my band, the Dave bunker Show, for many years when not entertaining in places like Vegas and other great paying nightspots, used to work at the, I believe it was called the town and country club on the fourth floor of the Edgewater Hotel in Seattle. This is where many of the visiting sports club owners stayed because it was close to the King Dome, where the first Seahawk game was to be played the next morning. That was in 1976.

That evening before this first Seahawk game, we were playing for one of the probably wildest bunch of guests I can remember. A few were ladies of the night, some were coaches, others were people just like me who enjoyed a little shot or three with friends. After my first set on stage a man from this wild table in the back of the room, probably around 30 plus people, walked up to the stage and asked us if anyone wanted to join them. Little did I know was that he was the owner of the St Louis Rams football team. His name was Bill Bidwell. I and two of my bandmember joined them for the break.

After a few introductions and my screwdriver arrived, and because I started drinking it through a straw, he reached over the lady between us and knocked it out of my hand and soiled several of the ladies at the table. His next very load statement was; "Real Men don't drink out of straws". Our conversations had begun. Shortly thereafter he asked if any of us wanted to go to the Seahawks game in the morning. He stated that he had three busses and game tickets for everyone who wished to go with him and that the busses would be parked in from of the hotel in the morning. WOW, what a gift, Three of us gladly took him up on his offer.

Mr. Bidwell didn't sit in a box where most bigwigs did but had about 60 seats booked on about the 50-yard line about 6 rows up, great seats. He also bought us every conceivable Seahawk item one could imagine, flags, banners, hats, etc, and said; I will be rooting for your team, because mine is so bad, and it's their first game. Unfortunately, they beat us, but we all had a good time going to the very first Seahawk game for the Seahawks, with the owner of the opposing team. It was a night and day to remember!

Attached Files:

Shawn likes this.
  2. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

Hey, Dave, cool story and yes they are! Hope they keep it up. Defense needs to step it up, Russell Wilson is playing out of his mind. Hope all is well with you! That’s a beautiful guitar in that picture. Oh, and by the way, thanks for sharing awesome pictures in this thread too! :yesway:

3. Dave Bunker

Good morning Shawn, thanks. Went to your band site, looks great, wish you the best.

Regards the picture, that is a guitar I spent several years thinking about and designing. I wanted a large body jazz, blues type, 335 types of unposted guitar. I also added my "Tension Free Neck" to them for more sustain and a wider range of sound.

Attached Files:

Mboogie7 likes this.
  4. Dave Bunker

Good morning my 5-7 string guitar Geeks, love your comments. I thought it would be beneficial if I explained a little about the manufacturing process of the Bunker BAT, 6, 7 string guitar.

The body is made completely out of three (unbent, un-laminated, non-stressed) natural, pieces of wood. #1, The archtop top before CNC routing is .78 inch thick, by 16 inches wide, by 21 inches long highly figured western Big Leaf Maple. #2, the ring is 1.4 inches thick, by 16 inches wide, by 21 inches long of preferably Western Red Maple, but other woods do work. #3, the piece of wood for the back is the same dimension as the top wood .78" X 16" X 21".

Since I log my own wood, I am able to personally know that the wood was properly dried in my kiln. In knowing the quality of the wood, the process I have designed follows;

First; I carve (CNC) the inside of the #3 piece BAT back of the guitar to a 5/16th inch deep with a little softer recessed curved shape.

Secondly; For the #2 body depth ring, I pick a very high-quality piece of Western Red Alder, usually around 1.4-5 inches thick. I then completely rout the entire center out. At PBC Guitars where I was to build several hundred of these Nova, BATS, I programed my CNC so that while cutting the ring I was able to get another small guitar from the remains of the #2 ring alder block. It was kind of neat doing this at PBC Guitar. After building and selling several hundred of the BATS, I had a big batch of small guitar bodies which I gave to a friend of mine in Philadelphia, PA. He turned them into small kids guitars.

Lastly; On the CNC, I carve the inside of the top #1 piece to a 1/2 inch archtop profile. The inside of the top and back are now carved and ready for gluing all three together. After gluing the top, the ring, and the back together it looks like you have done a lot of work to make a box.

The next step is to flip it on the CNC and carve the outside of the guitar's back to .170 thousandths thickness. I then flip it again and carve the top to .140 thousandths of an inch arch. This gives me a very strong, and resonant archtop to the BAT. At this time you also carve the neck pocket and the route for the Bunker patented "Wishbone Beam Bridge" assembly. Other than sanding and installing the "Wishbone, and with the installation of our "Tension Free Neck, you now have a ready to paint beautiful Blues/Jazz style of guitar.

With this manufacturing process, you have a very resonant, almost zero feedback style of guitar. The "Tension Free Bridge" Wishbone Bridge must be used because it eliminates the stress and allows the complete instrument to freely resonate.

Attached Files:

Robotechnology likes this.