The allure of George L's cables...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Leon, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

TRS is "balanced" or "stereo" cable, as opposed to normal guitar "TS" cable.

2. darren

darren Forum MVP

TS is "tip-sleeve" which is your standard 1/4" mono connector and TRS is "tip-ring-sleeve", which is 1/4" stereo. I don't know why they would have asked you if you wanted TRS, because George L's (to my knowledge) only makes mono cables.

Speaker cables are different from guitar cables in that they are heavier, and they are unshielded.

Running a high-voltage output signal from the back of an amp through instrument cable (which is designed for low-level signals) can cause issues. It's explained in more detail here and here.

3. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

TRS cables are not just used for stereo signals though. They are also used in some higher end (and some lower end, these days) gear to carry +4dbu signal for better clarity and noise rejection. But you have to have gear that has those connectors at both ends, running a TRS cable from one device that supports it to one that doesn't negates using it in the first place. I use TRS whenever I can in my home studio, the clarity and noise rejection really is better. Both my PODxt and my recorder have TRS jacks and the difference from just using a TS cable is quite noticable.

I've never tried a George L cable, but I hear they have lower capacitance than other cables, which makes them have a bit more transparent highs. Particularly, I've heard that they are useful for guitar cables and running in between pedals and such where signal degredation is a concern.

Myself, I buy all my cable and jacks and such from www.markertek.com . Those guys are great, and carry all the good stuff. I just bought some more stuff that I have to solder up, but once it's done my home studio will be wired with the same stuff the big studios use: Belden and Canare cable, Neutrik and Switchcraft plugs. Quality stuff, and I can make it for less than buying the cheap crap at GC. Just one less thing to worry about in the ol' studio. :cool:

4. darren

darren Forum MVP

Correct. I should have specified that TRS is another option to XLR for carrying a balanced signal.

5. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

awesome. thanks!

yeah, after using the George L's for several days now, i don't think i'll be going anywhere else for cables.

6. Jesse

Jesse iJesse Contributor

I like signal flex, good for live... I like metal ends... since I play live, and life stuff takes an asskickin, the plastic planet waves ends worry me, with that said I still use PW in the studio.

7. glytch5

glytch5 Necron Overlord

Yeah guys, after being a firm believer that as long as you are not using the cheapest of cheap crap cable, the sound difference is very slight. I went with George L's mainly because I just like the idea of solderless joints, and how small the cable is! After using it, I feel like it is a nice clear sounding cable. The best part is, they are CHEAP compared so some Lava cable, and Mogami branded stuff. I LOVE geroge L's. Highly recommended.

Only things I dislike is the cable is a bit stiff, and it takes some practice getting the solderless thing to work perfectly every time, at least for me. It can be frustrating at first. A george L's 10 or 15 foot cable is just barely cheap enough for a "buy it and try it" kind of thing without making a huge investment. :yesway:

8. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

This thread is 8 years old.

9. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

But, it's a great thread :agreed:

10. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

lol at dis guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.