The allure of George L's cables...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Leon, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

...has become very apparent to me, as i just soldered a right angle jack onto my old guitar cable. man, that sucked. in other words, it was NON, NON NON, NON HEINOUS!

i think i actually put too much solder on the connection, because i immediately noticed a drop in signal when i plugged in to test it out. the sound just wasn't near as hot as it was this afternoon. i A/B'ed with some of my other cables (albeit shorter ones), and confirmed. is there a significant drop in signal for a 20' cable versus a 5' cable? i mean, the 20' one with the new jack sounded just dull, whereas using the other cable just started giving me feedback, so that one is fine lol.

i'm going to remove some of the solder from the connection, and make sure everything is still solid in there, then i'll let you guys know if there's any change.

much more of this, and i might just go for a roll of George L's and be done with it.

2. Leon

fuck. ok, i think i'm going to try putting the old straight jack back on. or, if i'm extraordinarily lazy tomorrow, i'll just go buy some new cables. i'm kinda due some new ones anyhow, as mine are around 8 years old.

3. Ibanez_fanboy

Ibanez_fanboy I want a 1527!!

planet waves circut breakers

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Not recommendable - Planet Waves uses slightly bigger than normal plugs, and over time will gradually loosen your input jack meaning you can't use anything else. Not only is not being able to use someone else's cable in a pinch an issue, it also means that after a couple months, the entire appeal of the larger plug (a tighter fit) will gradually waste away, and you're back to square one.

George L's rock. Great cables, the solderless connections are convenient as hell, they sound very clear, and they're quite affordable for the quality of cable they are. I still need to pick up a few short ones for the FX loop of my nomad.

5. DSS3

DSS3 Banned

Planet Waves has the compression springs, but I've never had a problem in my 2 years of using them, even if I do go back to other cables ;).

Monster cables actually have a slightly larger barrel, not just the compression springs, so the actual sleeve is thicker.

That said, I need to pick up some George L's for my FX Loop, for the G-Major I'm getting to replace the one I sold you. :lol:

6. Leon

that's all i needed to hear. my biggest worry is that there would be some sort of signal loss from the solderless connection, but i guess they have it down to a science :yesway:
    getting another one? what made you change your mind? :)

7. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

The George L's regularly win cable shootouts because they are so clear, and really help the brightness. I'm definitely a convert. ;)

8. noodles

noodles Contributor

A convert who is going out and making new converts. Just don't show at my house with a suit and a bible, ok? :lol:

I seriously love my George L's. I used to use Whirlwind Leader cables, and compared to the GL's, they sound like they bleed off all the high end sparkle. Plus, the cable is thinner, making it easier roll up and store. You can cut everything to the right length when wiring up your rack. I could go on all day.

9. DSS3

DSS3 Banned

I ended up never selling the rack or floorboard for reasons that would take too long to explain here, (my other guitarist is a moocher), and I actually miss it.

I'll be picking up the Major and some GL's for sure thanks to this thread. Who wants to buy a Viper 407? :lol:

10. darren

darren Forum MVP

I only wish George L's made speaker cable and TRS cable as well!

11. Leon

so, i'm down to ordering some George L's (well, calling up local places first to see if they have any in stock). i'm thinking of getting the heavier gauge (.225) since i sometimes step on my cable.

what size do you guys run with?

i'm also thinking of going with mostly right-angle jacks.

12. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I use the regular stuff. It's really very tough - the only complaint I have is that it tangles pretty easily. The .225 is supposed to help that...

13. darren

darren Forum MVP

I use the regular stuff, too, and i find it works very well. Because it's thin and fairly dense, it's not terribly "crushable". I find if i do step on it, it's pretty sturdy, and because it's smaller, i'm less likely to slip or roll on the cable. It's also lightweight. But i'd agree with eaeolian that it does tangle a little easier. Just make sure you fully uncoil/untwist it before you play.

14. Leon

awesome.

and extra awesome, i just got off the phone with what is seemingly the only music store in Toledo that even knows what George L's cables are( http://www.durdels.com/ ). the bulk of my other phone conversations went like this...

me: "hi, do you guys carry George L's cables in stock?"
    them: "...George who?"

...and, they carry them in stock, so, off i go to spend more money!

15. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Durdels are real nice people. I used to buy all my strings there. A real small shop, with actual customer service! I only live about 10 minutes from there.

(Did you try Peeler's? Those guys typically know a lot, but I don't know if they carry George L's.)

16. Leon

i couldn't find them online. i just did a net search, and was actually surprised to find what i did.

EDIT: just found them online :lol:. i'll have to swing by there today, see what they have.

17. darren

darren Forum MVP

Hey! When did George L's start selling speaker cable? I'm going to have to get a couple of those!

18. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

What makes the plug bigger is that it ha these little springs around it that stick up, and i've found the opposite to be true - The jacks push the springs down and make it function like a normal cable after time. And besides, IF that happens, you can always open up the back of the guitar and gently bend the connector back into place.

19. Leon

is that what you meant by TRS cable? i was wondering earlier during my phone calls, too, as one guy asked me, "is that TS or TRS cable you're looking for?"

care to clue a cable noob in? :)

20. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Not sure, but the difference is, speaker cable isnt shielded like guitar cables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.