Testament: Brotherhood Of The Snake

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bloody_Inferno, Sep 2, 2016.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Alex is one of those guitarist that I would simply define "relevant".
    The world can do good without a lot of good guitarists, but Skolnick is simply needed in all our veins.
    Not the monsterest monster in guitar playing...but geez what a taste.

2. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

I agree. That being said I'm sure he's not the one soloing on that track. I remember reading that on recent albums he composed + recorded solos rather quickly. I hope that it's not the case for this album. Although an album like The Ritual is not my favourite, it contains some of Alex's best solos (e.g. Return to Serenity) that were the fruit of a probably longer writing process.

Edit: on the other new song (Stronghold) it's definitely Alex playing the solo at 2:15 http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/testament-watch-360-degree-visualizer-for-new-song-stronghold/

3. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

Man oh man. This band has a way of rekindling my love of thrash. I loved dark roots, and this one seems like it may top that.

4. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

God the amount of badass albums released this year is ever increasing. Really liked the new teack.

5. fps

fps Kit

Feel like these songs have already been written, many times. But hey, they're good songs.

6. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

Firing on all cylinders.
    I can't wait for the album!

7. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

SDG on Bass you now its going to be killer even though Greg is no slouce on the 4 strings of boom.

8. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

The album is out and I am enjoying it. Great riffing on this one!

9. esp_eraser

esp_eraser SS.org Regular

Loving the album.
    Some really great tunes on here, musically its thrashy and fast and there are no ballads like the previous album.

Aside from the first two tracks released Brotherhood and Stronghold :bowdown:, Tracks: Pale King, Neptunes Spear and Born in a Rut definitely deliver for me whilst Seven Seals is a great cruisy track with plenty of lead fills.

My only critique on the album is that it feels a bit short at 10 songs, perhaps an extra track and a slower mid paced heavy song at that would've been my order but whatever I've got my Testament fix for now. Also the only track I just cant seem to get into is Black Jack, something about that intro/main riff annoys me and I honestly cant say I've ever felt that way about Erics writing :scratch:

https://youtu.be/izMb6D7lcDc
    ( In this video Chuck mentions he re wrote the vocals 4 times for Black jack and I'm not surprised something about the riffs throws me off

Got my cd on release and just waiting my digi plus vinyl ep release :hbang:

What are your thoughts so far??

10. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Being flat out honest, I hated it after the first listen, but I've listened 3 more times since then and it's growing on me. I don't think this is as strong an album as Formation or Dark Roots though, but there are some good tracks (Brotherhood, stronghold, neptune's spear). But that said, the album starts to lose my interest in the middle (until Neptune's which is a killer song) and Black Jack and Canna-Business are not very good. Lyrically overall this is not one of their better efforts. Love Chuck, but he sounds almost disinterested in some songs and lyrics in Jack and Canna are painful. There are a lot of good riffs sprinkled throughout and maybe it's just me but that middle section of Pale King sounds really off (like they winged it with no metronome). I don't know, my opinion may continue to change as I listen to it more.

New Meshiaak album is better in my opinion for this kind of thrash.