TesseracT - Nocturne (Mix and Master)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by rezafelayati, Apr 22, 2018.

1. rezafelayati

rezafelayati self-claimed ERG nerd

Just bought Nolly's CreativeLive session several days ago and decided to apply some of his technique on stems I found on the internet (credit to Daybreak Studio for the stems)!

This one's a pretty well known song from TesseracT and it's called "Nocturne"

I use a combination of Fractal Axe-Fx II, JST Toneforge Jason Richardson, Line 6 Helix Native, and Darkglass B7K for the guitar and bass sounds. For the drum sample, I use various EZDrummer 2 expansions packs (I use EZX Progressive for the mix template)

https://soundcloud.com/rezafelayati/tesseract-nocturne-mix-and-master-by-reza-felayati

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Backsnack likes this.
  2. rezafelayati

3. rezafelayati

4. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

This is pretty good. Though if I compare it to the original, your mix/master version sounds veiled, maybe like the mids are too scooped? The drums sounds are pretty impressive, especially considering it's a basic EZX. (I probably don't give EZX packs enough credit being truly "mix-ready" as they're advertised.) In your mix they sound a bit more distant than the original. Was that intentional, did you add more reverb to them?

Overall though, I'd say this is a solid submission. I'm also a mixing noob myself, so my opinion probably doesn't hold much weight compared to the more seasoned folks in here.

rezafelayati likes this.
  5. rezafelayati

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going check out and tweak the EQ on my mix bus. And thank you! I really spent some times to tweak out the drum for that mix, and yes I agree that EZX is not that mix ready. Most of the time, that "mix-ready" sample sounds bad and need more processing.

As for the reverb, I think I'm adding too much of it on the snare and I'm pretty sure that's because I forgot to send the snare reverb bus to the parallel compression bus haha. But it can also be from the room bus. Gonna check it soon!