Terrible looking combo amps?

Protestheriphery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Of something more modern, the Fender Bassbreaker series, while not actually terrible looking, is just very bland looking.

BassB15C-large.jpg
These, and the Marshall Code Series scream "Trying waaayy too hard to get with the times/reinvent themselves".
Most of them?
fr
View attachment 107247 View attachment 107248

Most acoustic amps look like ass to me
View attachment 107249
View attachment 107250
View attachment 107256

This has to be one of the worst Peavey amps. 50 Shades of Shit
View attachment 107257
Hey, now you're just attacking Younger Me w that Crate FXT30. I feel all the nostalgias there.
I appreciate what they were going for, and I'm a sucker for unexpected things "googie"-styled, but this is just "off", both in proportion and material/finish choices.
View attachment 107294
Looks like someone robbed the Deetz residence.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Holdsworth played those for quite a while. So, that might not be a tone that's popular around here, but it worked for him and was pretty legendary in it's own way.
Holdsworth and Ty Tabor of King's X were the main known users of the Yamaha DG series.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ugly acoustic amps don't have to be brown. It's why I got mine in black. :lol:

View attachment 107261

friend that's green

These things remind of the generic, crackly, half-busted amp that every high school music room has in a damp closet somewhere.

you're getting me all excited talking like that. nothing makes me happier than finding an absolute firebreather amp in poor cosmetic condition and offering $100 to "take that piece of junk off your hands." more often than not people are all too happy to turn their mildewy spider nest into a crisp benjie.

Voodoo Marshall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Combos are overall way more generic looking than heads, so I don't think this thread will be as hot.

Anyway, anything Peavey I guess:

pilnwsrhpdnpw4xneenz.jpg

This one was also incredibly heavy, despite not being even full tube.
Combos are overall way more generic looking than heads, so I don't think this thread will be as hot.

Anyway, anything Peavey I guess:

pilnwsrhpdnpw4xneenz.jpg

This one was also incredibly heavy, despite not being even full tube.
I have a Mace head somewhere in my attic. Really shitty amp, super bad (as in not good) looking as well. Who knows why I bought it or traded for it.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Mace head somewhere in my attic. Really shitty amp, super bad (as in not good) looking as well. Who knows why I bought it or traded for it.

Guess it depends on what you're doing but they doom like fuck. Tons of power/headroom with all that glass and heavy ass black widows. Probably not a great amp for high gain modern toans though hahaha.

h410G3n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gonna have to nominate my first tube amp which I still own, a Laney LC30. Thing looks like just another generic combo amp and generally not pleasing to the eye. Stock speaker was also weak and tinny, however I did a full retube with JJ’s and put in a Celestion Creamback and it suddenly started to sing. All in all a decent amp but it doesn’t really scream cool.

Attachments

• 6179CE46-2AC7-458C-AA50-C4C8880907A3.jpeg
    6179CE46-2AC7-458C-AA50-C4C8880907A3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1