Terrible Chicago Music Exchange/Reverb guitar.

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Ross82, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nik/

Nik/ Active Member

Wow my mind was blown for a minute when you said you paid 1800 until I saw that you're in Canada. That does suck as far as customer service goes but thankfully it isn't a tough fix.

Ross82 likes this.
  2. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

ok bro enjoy waiting for the tech, could have had a sick playing guitar by now if you just put in any effort to set it up

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

If it's 1800 Canadian are about 1240 US dollars. I think these go for 1700 in the US, so while it's not a bad price for a good condition used guitar it's not a bargain either.

I don't know, I see people telling the OP he's overreacting that would have thrown a worse fit if their guitar arrived like that. Maybe I'm wrong but receiving a guitar in that type of setup could mask other functional issues that would be far worse than the scratches that weren't disclosed I see guys bitching about here. The main issues I can think off is twisted neck, uneven frets or a maxed out/striped truss rod. So I do worry more if I see high sky action when I receive a used guitar rather than the undisclosed ding, scratch or paint chip.

4. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

No one is excusing poor customer service, it seems they never agreed to a Setup and never took your money for the intent of performing a setup. So your frustration is that they would not provide the service, which is kind of insane all things considered. If they said no, then why did you expect them to do that for you?

- Yes, they could have caught that back screw.
    - Yes, they could have investigated a little better and accurately told you it's tuning + estimation of string gauge
    - Yes, they could have offered Setup Services (If they are equipped for it)

Your overreaction is just kind of silly all things considered, I hardly think this warrants outing a store and dedicating a thread to it, especially when you never gave them a chance to respond and compensate fairly.

Even when I got screwed by a dealer who left scratches and dents on the top of the guitar trying to "set it up", I didn't put them on blast until I got a hard response from them that they wouldn't be doing anything else to make it right.

Also, do you not have a toolbox with some allen keys? The tools needed for setup doesn't fall far beyond some allen keys and a screwdriver. It's a complete waste of money to have someone else setup a guitar unless your time's worth is over 50 an hour.

5. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

Looks like a good learning opportunity to me.

Ross82 likes this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

All that matters is what CME said they were selling and what you received. You didn't get that and now it's between you and CME to either resolve it or not. I think some cash back is in order, but I would get the cash it takes to have it properly setup and what an actualy Ibanez screw costs ordered from Ibanez, not some aftermarket or other screw. I'd want an original Ibanez screw. Plus some strings since they aren't new. For all the time and problems I'd want like $80-$100. You're still gonna have to wait for the screw from Ibanez, wait for the tech to do it, go down there with the guitar and all that crap. That's a lot of time, frustration and effort to make it good. This isn't even including all the days that go by that you're not playing it having a good time.

- That's the marker I use also.
    - $1800 for a used rg-752 seems really high. Did you get a limited run or something? Seem higher than new prices.

7. Ross82

Ross82 SS.org Regular

Apparently I’m out to lunch for also having this viewpoint

I should clarify it’s $1800 CAD which is kind of about right. There’s a hard tail version going in a Quebec store on Reverb for $1900.

c7spheres likes this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They're just off the shelf, cheap 3" thread wood screws. They don't even have an Ibanez part number.

You can get an objectively better screw in the exact same dimensions for about 2¢ - 5¢ at any hardware store in North America.

If you get the cheapest one, it's probably exactly what Ibanez used. :lol:

An "Ibanez wood screw". Y'all kill me sometimes. :rofl:

Adieu, jephjacques, oracles and 2 others like this.
  9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

But it will have an effect on the resale value for not being all original in the year 2080! jk.
    - Seriously, I've been down that road of trying to find a specific screw so many times. It's always something like the threads not lining up or not being the right size or having the right head, shank, countersink etc. At least where I live it's apparently impossible to find identical replacement screws. There's always something off about it compared to the original that makes it a no go. It's a huge waste of time tryingg to find them locally out here. I've learned to just get it from the manufacturer.
    - Tone screws!

aesthyrian likes this.
  10. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Tone screws are a real thing man! They are called machine screws and threaded inserts :lol:

Masoo2, jephjacques, akinari and 2 others like this.
  11. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I only use titanium screws on my guitars, you can really hear the difference, especially from the ones holding the truss rod cover on

Leviathus, Edika, Nlelith and 3 others like this.
  12. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

The time spent bitchin in this thread could have been spent setting this thing up, with time to play afterwards. Be disappointed, talk some shit with em on Facebook, be done with it.

Masoo2, c7spheres and Jonathan20022 like this.
  13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Stripped screws are not that big a deal since you can pull the springs and replace them

It's not like a countersunk screw or rounded hex nut that's gonna be a huge battle... either they'll come right out with a screwdriver. or you can use vise grips in the worst situation.

EDIT: oh wait, did they SINK the screws ALL the way because they couldnt find a 3rd spring??? Here's hoping you can still get em out then

Well dayum.... they DID do your "setup". And, unfortunately for you, THAT'S the problem. It woulda been far better if they hadn't touched it

Ross82 likes this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

One shot with an extractor or lefty bit and they'll come right out. It's just wood and the threads are fairly conservative. The last 3/4" or so of the screw isn't even threaded.

15. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

I'm still laughing at this guy wanting an "original Ibanez screw" lol

16. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

Has to go down as one of the worst posts on SSO history

Wonder how much he'd pay for my limited J custom screw, brb putting on Reverb

17. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

*rustling around in my giant jar of miscellaneous screws* just have fun with it!!!

18. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Eveything always comes down to one screw! Fixing a car, a guitar etc. There's always one bitch screw that makes the job a living hell. You gotta have the right tools and parts for the job!
    - Don't listen to these people! Get an original Ibanez screw! Play authentic!

Edika likes this.
  19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

OP, it's not that difficult to do yourself. Even if they did set it up, you'd still likely want it differently, just as I'd want mine set up different from you. That's why it is adjustable.

If this is your first time setting up a guitar, I suggest watching videos and taking notes. Most of all, go slow, and don't rush.

Surveyor 777 and c7spheres like this.
  20. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

more or less came to post this. some people will take every opportunity to cry and piss their pants at the slightest inconvenience

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.