Tell your story...\m/

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Karmaic, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Karmaic

Karmaic SS.org Regular

I honestly never paid attention to guitars when I listened to music growing up as a kid. All I listened to was the lyrics. What little music I did listen to. I was never around any guitars growing up. And I could probably count on 1 hand the number of times I heard one being played in person by the time I got my first guitar. So when I decided I wanted to learn to play the guitar, I literally had no clue. My buddy had a drum set I played on a lot, and was rather quite good at it. But we wanted to start a band, and it was his drum set, so I had to pick another role. Playing the bass came to mind first, for about 2 weeks. But finally decided on guitar.

When I was a teenager first learning guitar, I played clean tone for weeks, not knowing how to get a distorted sound. I didnt know shit. Didnt even know how to tune my guitar. Literally had to take my guitar to the local shop and have the guy tune it. The guy tuned it, but I know in the back of his mind, he was thinking..."This kid isnt going to last..." It was rough sailing. I listened to a lot of Poison and Blink 182 (LOL) and was blown away by their "crunchy" guitars after I started to learn. And here I was, playing clean tone through a used $30 Crate amp with my Tom Delonge squire. I thought that guitar was so badass. Like I said, I didnt know shit. I eventually discovered how to get a distorted sound via a Danelectro distortion pedal. I think it was $15 brand new in 2002. And the doors finally opened.

I played that Tom Delonge squire for a good 3-4 months. My buddy who drummed, was also into Blink 182 so I took my guitar over to "jam". All I knew was a couple intros, but I felt like a legit rockstar. Couple months later, I went over to his house again to "jam". He had another buddy of his there to jam also, whom Id never met. He had a Crate Excalibur 90w half stack with a boss metal zone. Rocking some 6 string ESP/LTD guitar tuned to drop B with EMG-HZ pickups. And daaammn, from that moment on, I was sold on heavy metal. I had never heard anything like that. Ever. I knew from that day forward, metal was my genre. Even if I didnt know shit about it, that deep tone was already in my blood, I just needed introduced to it. I tried dropping my Tom Delonge squire down to drop B (lmao) with my 9-46 ernie balls, but that didnt work out so good. So I bought an LTD H-207 7 string and a Boss Metal Zone. Now keep in mind, I was playing Blink 182 intros on a Tom Delonge squire the same day I bought a 7 string and dropped it to B. That was a chore in itself. Like I said, I wasnt too good at tuning. Talk about night and day in terms of music. He introduced me to bands like Ill Nino/40 Below Summer/Taproot/Breaking Benjamin/Deftones. I learned about dropped power chords, palm muting etc etc. What stuck out in my mind the most, was how badass a palm mute sounded in a drop tuning. And from that moment on, I was SOLD. I never played a Blink riff again. Ive been palm muting and drop power chords ever since.

Tell me your beginner stories and how you started or stumbled into the genre you love.

2. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Grew up around music - mostly piano and choir with my Mom and Grandma. Then I found Metallica via radio and started trying to play stuff by ear on a Sears special (no amp, one string) from my uncle.

Eventually a different uncle showed me a handful of things on the Takamine yet another uncle passed onto me. Put quite a few miles that one, it’s now with my cousin.

Rolling into jr. high a buddy let me copy the new albums he bought on cassette (STP-Core and Megadeth-Countdown to Extinction) and it all exploded from there.

Sepultura and especially Fear Factory (Demanufacture) are the two that really got things moving in high school. 25 years and 60+ guitars later... let’s just say I’m most definitely afflicted. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Acaciastrain360 and Karmaic like this.
  3. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

The game "Crazy Taxi" for Dreamcast had a song by The Offspring. First time I realised guitar music was cool.

Then one say I heard Metallica "Until it Sleeps" on TV. Those heavy guitars were so cool.

Shortly after, I bought the Ride the Lightning cassette tape (based on the cool cover with lightning and the electric chair) ... blew my mind. I had no idea that music could have that much energy, aggression, but also tunefulness. I grew up in a house where music was played constantly - 60-70's rock, Elton John, Rod Stewart etc. I also had played piano my whole life, reached Grade 8 (highest "normal" qualification in an instrument in the UK) and could play pretty complex stuff. So this really heavy stuff that was also melodic was awesome.

Shortly after that, a friend bought me some kinda death metal compilation cassette, and I really didn't like it. It was lacking melody and groove and I hated the vocals. Just noise to my ears.

Then I found a bootleg Pantera concert... mind blown again. Never looked back since then.

After that, it was Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold's early stuff that was just coming out. Waking the Fallen was such a cool album.

Karmaic and Noisy Humbucker like this.
  4. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Regular

•Double Post, sorry•

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Regular

I grew up around a lot of good music from my sister and parents, but fell in love with it when I was 11 the first time I heard the bass solo on The Dance of Eternity. That was totally game changing. I went home and borrowed my sister's Tool albums and acoustic guitar and that was that.

Then I went to music school after high school and fell out of love with music. I stopped playing for years, now I'm back in school for Forestry and Natural Resources Management and have rekindled my relationship with music.

Last year I bought an audio interface and have been teaching myself how to put together songs and record music. Music is my true passion and I'm working towards writing songs, getting a band together and playing shows here in New Mexico.

I'd like to use this as an opportunity to share a song I worked on today called Iron Heart, tomorrow is my birthday so I spent my down time today working on this to celebrate. I hope you all enjoy this, I'll likely post this in another thread because I'd like to promote myself. I'm unfamiliar with forum etiquette so please let me know if that's not okay.

https://soundcloud.com/pascal-faurie/iron-heart-5150-mp3

Karmaic likes this.
  6. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I did not have a real music background at home besides a cd player and radio.

At around 12 years old, in 2000, I started to listen to rock and metal. You know the popular bands back then. Linkin Park, Sum41, the Offspring, Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Korn,... Especially the nu-metal genre hit me hard!
    So I went to my parents and asked for a guitar. "No", they said, "it'll probably end up in a corner collecting dust."
    So I asked again..many times.

At 15 years old, I finally got a Yamaha starter pack wich was a piece of crap. But at least I had a guitar! A good year later my parents realized I was getting into it and I got an Epiphone SG goth. That was a huge step up from that starter pack.

After that I started my first band wich ended up nowhere because we didn't have a drummer, but it was fun!
    And I kept spending more time and money into it buying bigger amps and better guitars.

As for playing 7 strings, I always had a soft spot for that, probably because of Korn. After my first 7, I gradually bought more 7's and sold 6's.

Also, around 2008, friends of mine started a band and needed a bass player. You know Glenn Fricker said in one of his vids "the shitty guitarist ends up on bass"? -Well that was me! These guys were way ahead of me in terms of musical skill so I had to practice a lot. I consider myself a better bass player than guitar player, mainly because those guys kept pushing me to do better.

For a while I created my own music. Guitar, bass, drumsampler and a load of synths and keyboard. I completely abandoned that project because I started building my house and had no more spare time for that.

Here I am, playing guitar on my own and playing bass in a band called ill.

That's it in a nutshell.

7. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Never cared much for music when I was young. In my early teens, I enjoyed ska punk because of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and got into more punk. Also the movies coming out in the early 2000s had music that a young teenage boy into skating and games would enjoy. When I was 15 I was getting more into music, particularly music from the Sonic the Hedgehog games - from the 8- and 16-bit times, all the way to the modern (at the time) games with fast punk rock. I figured I'd like to play all that type of music and asked my parents if I could get a guitar. I said that they'd always wanted me to do something and pick up a hobby or some such, so not long after I got a cheap starter kit for my 16th birthday.

I taught myself and I liked it more and more. I wanted a guitar with 24 frets to play the music I wanted, so I did. I was getting into metal, starting with Metallica's black album. I quickly veered off into power metal and, for some reason, Meshuggah. Then for, I think my 21st birthday, I got an Ibanez RG2228. Because I wanted to play Meshuggah, of course. So for maybe 8 years or so, my RG2228 was the only guitar I had. I got more and more into music just for music's sake, and I found it all incredibly intellectually stimulating. Anything I found interesting I would pursue at my own leisure.

Etc, etc. All while trying to come up with my own music. It's just a hobby for me to apply my head to. When I get the equipment and free time I'll finally get around to finishing and recording my stuff.

Karmaic and Boofchuck like this.
  8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

This is gonna be a long one, sorry in advance...

I recall always liking the way a distorted guitar sounds. My dad listened to AC/DC and ZZ-top so naturally I got into that too. My first CD was AC/DC's Stiff Upper Lip, which I got for my 11th birthday. I blasted that on my walkman (had to record it onto a cassette ofc) everywhere I went for a fairly long time. Then all my friends got into rap and hip hop and shit like that, and I just tried to stick with my thing, but eventually gave up and went that way too. Then we discovered Nu-metal, which was a great way back into guitar-oriented music.

I think I was 12 when my friends' dad suggested that he'll start running a band thing at our school, and I was one of the guys to jump aboard. My uncle had a 70's Landola acoustic guitar he hadn't played since the 80's, so he gave it to me. It was missing a couple of strings and it was a bit beat up in general, but it was a guitar. I didn't know there were different kinds of strings, so I put steel strings on a classical guitar :lol: And it was impossible to tune because of that. Still, I learned some basic stuff on that, including reading tabs. Then my dad sent me enough money to buy an electric guitar and amp for my birthday - I still have those, and now with 17 years of experience I can say that the guitar in particular is excellent. It's a made in Vietnam strat-shaped guitar with H-S-S pickup configuration. I don't know what wood it's made of, but it's heavy af. Anyway, we'd started the band, and we played our first show at our school less than half a year later. We played at all the school semester ending -things, and the development was pretty nice. On the first one we played Smoke on the Water and Breaking the Law, the next time Black Night and some other song, and then the third time (roughly 1.5 years after starting) we played Seek & Destroy, For Whom the Bell Tolls and Easy Livin'. We also played some assorted shows in other places between those two.

Then I moved to Finland with my mom. That summer, I played guitar roughly 10 hours a day and improved significantly, and when I went to 9th grade in my new school, I joined a band that played mostly Children of Bodom covers almost straight away. After a couple of years of that, I discovered Dream Theater, which made me want a 7-string guitar. Before I was able to buy my RG1527, I put baritone strings on my Vietnamese guitar and tuned it to B. I started making my own songs and did my first home recordings at that time. I also joined SSO around that time. Said band developed from melodic metal covers to some kind of progressive'ish thrash/groove metal over the years, before breaking apart.

In 2008 I moved to Salo to study, did my military service at the beginning of 2009, etc. non-music related stuff, and I basically didn't play at all for a long time. After a few years the urge to join a band returned, and I joined a hard rock band. It never took off, but we had a fun time. Later I almost joined a blackened death metal band, but I didn't have the time or motivation to learn their really technical songs, and realized later that it wouldn't have been my thing anyway. Then I stumbled into my current band, which really seemed to go places at first, but then our drummer left and now we're sort of still picking up the pieces. I also got married, got kids and bought a house, (also got a job... ) so I don't have the same 24/7 time for the band I used to, so it's slowing us down a bit. We just got a new drummer though, which I'm super excited about.

I have always taken a very long time to consider gear acquisitions, so for a long time I only had 3 guitars, but then I realized I can afford more and bought 5 guitars and a bass pretty much within a year. I've also accumulated a fair amount of other gear over the years - I have a full PA-system, drums, keyboards ...

These days I mainly only play at band practice, which is every Friday after work, but I'm trying to improve the situation soon by buying an acoustic to keep in the living room at all times. All my electric guitars are in the basement, so it takes a small effort to go play, so I'm hoping that having the acoustic around will remove that.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 3:58 AM
    Karmaic likes this.
  9. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

Parents forced me to start a hobby when I was 11yo. I hated sports and competition in general so I picked guitar for some reason. Hated it at first until I learned Smoke on the Water and I played with distortion for the first time. Here I am 14 years later. :cool:

Karmaic likes this.
  10. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I never really wanted to play guitar but I always loved music of pretty much any kind, I grew up listening to classic rock and early metal bands thanks to my dad. Around age 12/13 my younger brother started to take guitar lessons and I couldn't have him be better at something than me so I started a couple months after he did and started progressing very quickly, he stopped playing shortly after so me and my dad sold his guitar to buy another one for me and I decided I'd rather learn on my own than take lessons so I quit going to them and started learning songs by ear starting with Black Sabbath's Paranoid and Master Of Reality albums. I kept doing that for the next 10 years or so but my skill stagnated and I started losing interest in playing and its been like that ever since. I still pick up my guitar and mess around for a bit but I just don't have the passion to play anymore. Surprisingly my ear is still just as good as it ever was for figuring out songs, as long as I know the tuning I'll be able to tab it out in a day or two.

Karmaic likes this.
  11. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Discovered "classic rock" like led Zeppelin, the stones, Skynyrd, G n' R, and of course Sabbath when I was at a young age (probably 10 or 11), but it was the soundtracks to the Tony hawk games tha honestly it got me into more modern heavy stuff and entry level hardcore. I originally wanted to play drums, but drums are expensive and can't be turned down like a guitar can, so when I was 13 my parents bought me an Mim strat from the pawnshop and a shitty crate combo amp to go with it.

Karmaic likes this.
  12. Karmaic

Karmaic SS.org Regular

Dont let a stagnate time in your playing skill get you down. Youre probably better than a lot of guitarists that are in succesful bands. Its about loving the guitar and loving to play music. Not guitarist of the year awards. I rate my skill level about a solid C. I cant shred. Many guitarists are better than me. But I love playing and have no trouble writing catchy riffs. Use what skills you do have to the max.

I was never great at playing by ear. I can get close. But never exact.

The906 and Boofchuck like this.