Tell me your PA/FRFR horror stories

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Quitty, May 8, 2013.

1. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

I'm zooming in on a PA system for my KPA and realizing it's probably going to be a cheap one i know little about, but sounds amazing in person.
    I know nothing about active PA systems - tube amps are extremely resilient bastards and the only big no-no is unplugging the cab.

So, what went wrong in your PA or FRFR system?
    How much was the damage?
    What to look out for?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Well built and maintained solid state PA systems are just about the most resilient gear on Earth. That's one of the reasons that venues pay so much to have the systems permanently installed, or semi-permanent in many cases.

The worst PA issues I've seen/experienced had more to do with user error (plugging in the wrong cable to the wrong I/O) from the setup crew or sound guy than the equipment itself. Like anything an overtaxed, older system can fail but there's nothing inherently fragile about them. The amp are usually built to run for long periods of time at high SPL, and the speakers match that.

Like any amplification setup, mind your ohms, take care of your cables, and watch your ears.

3. Yo_Wattup

Yo_Wattup Kick the Butterfly

+1^

My pal has a peavey powered mixer and two 15" P.A speakers that must be 30-40 years old, they've never missed a beat.

4. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Thanks Max - that's reassuring.

I've heard weird stories about hum and buzz, but stories are just that, i guess.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Like any amplification setup, improper power, grounding, or shielding can result in unwanted noise.

The reason that can be an issue in PA setups is that they contain many more individual components (think of how big full venue arrays are) and typically operate at higher volume.