Tell me about Modern Metal Amps

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by cardinal, May 14, 2019.

1. gunch

gunch chungus

Actually the first clip sounds pretty rad

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

If you engage the modern setting it will do up to As I Lay Dying - Confined type tones perfectly (IMO). But it takes a boost well.

Btw I’ve been struggling to compare it. But maybe a SLO type tone but maybe more open sounding? Definitely as loud or louder. It dominates all other amps in the room even my Herbert and Soldano.

I also have the matching cab with the Budda Phat speakers which are voiced darker than v30s. I haven’t tried it with any of my other cabs yet.

Also, keep in mind they are all voiced differently. The 18, 30, 45, and 80 all have different voicings. It’s not just wattage.

Most importantly: I’m a Peavey guy. But. Buy pre-Peavey. Look for the Budda guy on the faceplate. They changed the circuit (fact) and a lot of people that A/B’d both say the Peavey version sounds good too but it’s tubby sounding. Rounded low end. Not good for metal.

4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Good news, there's a pre-Peavey Superdrive 80 on Ebay right now for just over £1000, bad news, it's in Russia.

5. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

The clean channel is more AC30 than anything else. Its got hot rodded Marshall in it. But I'd say its more generally British in character than Marshall specifically. There's some Orange in its voicing as well since the mids are shifted lower. The overdrive does have some of that Marshall rasp, but its smoother. I've played it next to a BE100. The Friedman has that Marshall rasp and a bit of the SLO thing happening. The Budda doesn't have that. I'd put it closer to the Dumble/Trainwreck thing than just a hot rodded Marshall. You can get JCM like sounds from it, sure. But, it still has more focus to it. It literally DOES. NOT. SAG. The 45 somehow appears louder than the 80. I had it in a band with a dude that had two 100 watt heads (XXX and a Verellen Loucks) on two v30 loaded 412 cabs. He could barely keep up with my single Budda 412. Tiny bit looser with a tube rectifier. Barely noticeable though. Boosted like in the video above, its a modern metal monster.

6. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Have you had a Splawn in the house? I’d be really curious to your thoughts on a QR.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

nah not yet. splawns intrigue me but i was told the quick rod or nitro(i forgot which) has a similar dry vibe to the UL, which I really don't like.

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I only tried one budda (40? 18?) and it didn't wow me but at the time I was mostly about 5150 tones.

If I ever seen an 80 in store, I'll plug in.