Tell me about Modern Metal Amps

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by cardinal, May 14, 2019.

1. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

You know...this thread has me gassing for a Recto. Can anyone compare one of the new Multiwatt Rectos to a Herbert?

2. gunch

gunch chungus

I would like to know more about this and just cabs in general

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

They used rectos or Recto-sounding models for so long that I was pretty surprised when the fortin meshuggah turned out to just be a Jose mod Marshall. Maybe frederick’s tastes changed.

4. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Not modern metal, but how can you not love this tone? #rectos4ever!

5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I was surprised at that Meshuggah amp also. At first I thought it would be some sort of single channel Recto/JCM800 hybrid design.

6. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I was referring to the other dude, but it's good to get back to the actual point of the thread :lol:

Judging from what you've posted here and on RT I would say look into:

VHT Sig-X
    Mesa Marks
    Bogner XTC
    KSR Juno

Any of those will work for what you're doing, it just depends on your taste and what tone you're most picky about. Are you most picky about your crunch tone or are you more critical of the high gain sound?

Sig-X fits the bill nicely and is around $1,000 used so not insane. It's dry and tight for the low tunings and has a great crunch channel. Clean is ok, some people love it but I don't.
    Pro: Does everything you want. Con: Not for everyone

Mark V will probably give you the best crunch out of the Mark series but the lead will be lacking compared to the others. Mark IV would work if you boost R2 but it'll be something you'll have to mess around with more than the V.
    Pro: Can do everything you want. Con: It could be a struggle to get it there

Bogner XTC...if you like Bogner then I don't need to say anything about the Blue channel. The Red I would run the Boost off and then use a boost pedal for the lower tuning.
    Pro: Clean and Crunch will be great Con: Shared EQ on the gain channels might make it a struggle for the low tuning but there's ways around it

KSR Juno is going to be the most expensive because they're new. You can run the Clip mode or Crunch mode and get your crunch tone, but it's not really a Marshall type of crunch. The regular Lead is going to be like a modded Recto where you chop off the highs and lows so you don't get the hairy/fizzy top end or extreme bottom end. Smoother, tighter, less raw, more refined. Would probably still need a boost for the low tuning but just a standard boost not like a Fortin Grind or something extreme.
    Pro: Could be perfect since you like Rectos Con: Expensive, might not be your kind of crunch

Strobe likes this.
  7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Yeah I personally don’t think of “modern metal tone” as so much of an inception date thing, but as more of a tonal characteristic thing. From that perspective, I basically think of modern metal tone as heavily-palm-muted and downtuned (sometimes drastically) guitars with a boosted high gain amp like 5150, recto, etc.

8. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Man, I wish the recto had a tight knob.

trem licking likes this.
  9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

You mean the gain, bass and rectifier controls? :yesway:

narad, DudeManBrother and Thaeon like this.
  10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

... stick a Maxon OD808 upfront. Instant tight knob.

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Too bad I just moved from NOVA because I have most of the amps you mentioned and you could have A/B’d them lol. That’s the best way to figure out. You can’t really figure out tone from internet opinions. Plus I can EQ an amp one way and you’ll hate it and then tweak some knobs and make you fall in love. In my opinion, many of the internet opinions you’ll get are either someone restating someone else’s opinion (because they’ve never played said amp), or because they’ve heard it sound like XYZ, or or they didn’t like it. Well, do you have the same exact tone appreciation they do? And do they know how to properly dial in an amp? And did they? Or did they try one guitar with one set of pickups (and maybe pedals?) and with the settings they thought should sound good... and it didn’t?

Anywho, just my thoughts. I hated active pickups and had hated MIK guitars due to Peavey ones being crap back in the day. Also heard terrible things about Engl amps especially the Fireball. Then I bought a MIK Schecter Loomis with active pickups and a Engl FB100. And it is a 10/10 for me. I have a Mayones Regina 7 Custom and a Herbert Mk2 (maybe 4x the price?) and everyone that ever came over and A/B’d them agreed the Schecter/Fireball was better.

So try and find a place like Axe Palace, DCGL, Sam Ash, or a good GC and experiment. I played a Budda SD80 and after 10 seconds I would have sold almost every amp I own to have it.

12. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Need a pre-gain bass knob

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

the budda sd80 haunts me. I keep telling myself that I don't need a hot rodded marshall esque amp, but then I listen to clips of that, the ceriatone chupacabra or the lil fokker and start looking for one again :lol:

Thaeon likes this.
  14. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Sorry to tell you... but...

The Budda is SO MUCH MORE than a modded Marshall. It is it’s own unique beast.

I’m gonna say it. It is honestly in the same category as a Dumble. There. I said it. There’s a reason why Bonamassa rocked it. I don’t care if you like his music or not. Dude knows gear and has good taste. The amp is so good if John Mayer played it, he’d leave with it on his airplane seat. Now excuse me I have some corks to sniff. Lol

Seriously though. I rocked one chord through a $150 used 1990 Peavey Tracer and I chased away everyone at GC that tried to scoop it before I could. It’s perfect at rock and dirty country, yet throw a boost in front and it chuggs with thunderous volume that not even a 5150 can touch.

Thaeon likes this.
  15. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Thanks @USMarine75 ! The Budda Superdrive does seem cool. As I understand it, it's the same preamp used in the Friedman Naked and Naylor Superdrive. The three amps use different power sections though, I've read. The Friedman and the Naylor get rave reviews.

16. KnightBrolaire

I barely dabble in rock/country/blues so I don't really care about its capabilities in that regard. Bonamassa and Mayer are chasing VERRRRRRRY different tones than I am lol.
    Does it need a boost or eq to turn it into a metal monster?

17. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Used to own a Budda SD45. That amp was ferocious. Calling it a hotrodded Marshall is doing it a disservice.

18. KnightBrolaire

Then what would you describe the budda superdrive as being most similar to?

19. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I believe a Friedman Naked was the main amp on A Perfect Circle's Mer de Noms, so the SuperDrive might sound something along those lines.

20. KnightBrolaire

USMarine75 likes this.