Tell me about Modern Metal Amps

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by cardinal, May 14, 2019.

1. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Cannibal Corpse
    Nevermore
    Behemoth
    Delain
    Suicide Silence
    Fit For An Autopsy
    Devin Townsend

and I forgot another big one: Richard Z. K. Rammstein. But I'm sure you'll say they are more folk-blues than metal.

Admit you are wrong, misinformed and move along now.

viifox likes this.
  2. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

That's what I was waiting for. Awesome list of MODERN metal bands. :D

3. Wizard of Ozz

... still waiting on those rig pics? I have a feeling we'll be waiting forever. LOL.

:wavey:

4. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

That's not a surprised, because I heard A LOT of negative opinions about Knuckleheads and Rockerverbs. That means that we just consider absolutely different sounds as perfect.

5. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

Special for you my friend.
    Amps that I have for the moment and that I didn't sell and will never sell.

[​IMG]

6. Wizard of Ozz

You mentioned a lot of other stuff too? Sold it? Yeah... :facepalm:

Anywho... you need to re-evaluate the capabilities of good properly dialed in Recto. I've had 3 Fryette Ultra-Leads that did nothing for me. So if you consider that a "great metal tone"... it is a non-starter, and we will agree to disagree.

7. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

VHTs sound as they should only with VHT Cabs.

8. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

Second factor, you know what I mean.
    That's not a surprise. VHTs are hard to play in comparison to COMPRESSED Rectifiers.

9. Wizard of Ozz

Right... you mean like this:

[​IMG]

Been there... done that. Still take a Recto over it.

10. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Line 666

Disgorge (from San Diego CA), Suffocation and Broken Hope (before Jeremy went all digital) are some bands which I have seen use Dual/Triple Rectifiers live before. It’s a very common metal back line amp. Terrence from Suffo stated that while it’s not his favorite for the thing they do; it’s still a nice amp. Different strokes.

Wizard of Ozz likes this.
  11. protest

protest SS.org Regular

How do we decide what modern metal is? Is there like a band start date cutoff?

12. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I think if they’re using a Recto, then it’s not modern metal.

narad likes this.
  13. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I guess people use the term differently, but when I think of it, it's basically metal that comes after the Mick Mars/80's Slayer/Appetite for Destruction-type stuff. I think those tones are fairly characterized as "metal" but they are not really the same thing as something like what started churning out in the early '90s. I remember hearing Machine Head's Burn My Eyes and my mind was blown. I could not turn it up loud enough.

I know to a lot of you folks that's not "modern" but I guess I'm an old man who doesn't get out much.

Has there been a big seismic shift since then in terms of metal tone? Going from Appetite for Destruction to Burn My Eyes ('87 to '94 or so?) is a huge change.

I'd be interested to hear examples of what someone might consider a big shift since the advent of the boosted 5150/Recto.

Thaeon and Smoked Porter like this.
  14. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

It also gets weird if you're just talking about guitar sound, like any of the last several Testament and Exodus albums. Classic bands, modern production. The Gathering still holds up as one of the best for metal guitar tone and production. Actually the best, imo anyway.

Edit- also worth noting, that album was a recto.

budda and Thaeon like this.
  15. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I think Post Meshuggah metal bands was a big shift. Triplets into dry sounding amps that are (too) tight. I would consider that a new sound.

But yeah, Modern Metal is metal past that 80s sound.

Beheroth and cardinal like this.
  16. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Soldanos were the 80's thing. Rectos and 5150s are where most amp manufacturers would say that Modern Metal tone started. Modern tone stacks in amp modelers tend to have a dip in the mids like a Recto. There were other people doing things. Like Jose modding marshalls. Randall's solid state stuff. But a lot of those were used for that hair metal sound. Rectos were on the album that broke metal into the mainstream though.

Rectos are super saturated. I wouldn't call my Rivera saturated or compressed at all comparatively speaking. Its way more focused. However, I've learned the power of speakers and cabs. A good speaker/cab/amp combination can completely change the whole set up of an amp. Rectos sound good on a 412. The sound UNREAL on a good 112. Listened to some demos of the Uberschall Rev. 2 in comparison to a Recto just to remind myself of how they sound. They really just sound to me like a Recto with the mids in a slightly different place. If we're debating the Recto vs the SLO or 5150, its literally the difference in where something is located in the power section and the values of a couple resistors. The basic design is literally a copy of the SLO for both of them. Rivera was actually the FIRST high gain dude if we're keeping score though.

17. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Its worth noting that Meshuggah have used Rectos in the studio as well... So...

That post Meshuggah tone is TOO dry for me. I also don't play that sort of Metal either. Love Meshuggah. But I'd be more in the Cult of Luna, Pelican, High on Fire column...

MASS DEFECT and Wizard of Ozz like this.
  18. Wizard of Ozz

The problem with the SLO is that is sucks dead donkey d!ck for metal. Even boosted. Too loose, dark, flabby... until you turn it up to ear-bleed volume... then it thins out too much in the wrong places and the mids are not in the right spot either. The "depth mod" they offer is useless too. It should be called the "Mud Mod"... more or less mud.

There is a lot of history showing that people "borrowed" a lot of the design for the Recto and 5150 preamp circuit from the Soldano SLO... but both of these amps sound nothing like the SLO. Not even close at all. So I think too many people read in to that part of amp building history too much.

The SLO is not an amp that excels at modern metal. '80s classic rock or hair-metal... yep.

Thaeon likes this.
  19. Wizard of Ozz

Good point here. Meshuggah are about as modern as it gets. And they are long time Recto abusers.

:deathm:

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

When the used Axe FXs, they used the Recto models, and had a special model in the Axe II based on the original Axe I Recto model. Kinda like when Metallica asked to bring back the pre-Quantum Mark IIC+ onto the Axe FX II as the Mark IIC++ (seriously misleading as fuck with that model name).

Even when they had the POD X3/Vetta, I THINK they used the Big Bottom, which is preeetty much a Triple Recto.

EDIT: Actually found an old interview where they specifically said they tweaked their Vettas to sound like a Dual Recto.

Thaeon and mnemonic like this.