Tell me about Modern Metal Amps

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by cardinal, May 14, 2019.

1. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, same volume. The Triple certainly can get very loud, but it doesn’t have to be loud.

budda likes this.
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

If I didn't have a Triaxis already, that's the path I'd take

op1e likes this.
  3. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

If you like rectos, you'll love the Archon.

4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Well that Rev E Dual Recto finally made its way to me from LA. Noticeably different than the Rev G. Much more present and in-your-face sounding. Just turning up the presence and treble on the Rev G can't seem to get the same thing. Really pretty happy with the Rev E, though I kinda hate using stuff that is hard to replace.

It still struggles a bit tracking the low F#, but I caved and ordered a Fortin 33 that hopefully will address that issue. At a minimum I'm hoping that I can at least click it on for low F# riffing and then click it off for normal tuned stuff. Same concept as just stepping on a wah pedal for only certain solos or riffs.

mnemonic likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

lol you should just try a Mark series at this point

6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, I know.

I still want to try an Archon too, which sounds awesome in all of the clips. I really like the mid-gain Recto tones, and it does seem like the Archon really struggles there. The 5150 definitely does. The Recto in Vintage mode with the gain around 10:00 sounds really very nice for just straight up rock and I like that a lot. Not quite as much character as an old school Marshall (a bit "generic" sounding), but a really nice, thick crunchy sound. Not sure the Mark is going to have that.

7. KnightBrolaire

The mk3 excels at 80s hair metal/70s rock tones along with modern tones imo. The newer marks work for old school tones as well, but the mk3 in particular just has that extra tinge of "marshall" flavor. The upper mids make it feel very hot rodded jcm800 esque at times. Whitesnake used them for Slip of the Tongue and their 87 album, and Night Ranger used em forever as well. The mk3 can get recto thick on the lead channel depending on how you dial in the bass/mids. The newer marks are better at aping that vibe though imo.

cardinal likes this.
  8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I'm thinking more like Billy Duffy's tone on The Cult's Electric album. The Rectos I've used are surprisingly good at that type of tone. I assume it's because of the amps looks like nu metal machines, but I am blown away at how good the amp sounds doing that type of thing (and a low volumes if you want) yet you don't hear people talk about that. If the amp were covered in tweed and the gain knob stopped at 11:00 or so, I would think that it'd be all the rage with the classic rock crowd on The Gear Page, but since it has a diamond plate grill and instead has a ton of gain available, I guess it gets overlooked for just how well it can flat out rawk.

9. KnightBrolaire

the r2 and clean channel on the mark amps can do those kind of jangly/snarly midgain marshally tones no problem. Just ask @Drew -iirc he uses those kinds of tones with his mk5.

10. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Cool, I should try to track on of those down. I guess I'm somewhat leary of the MKV's channel two because I haven't had any luck with the recent Recto's Brit/Edge/Whatever settings, which seem like what maybe Mesa was going for with the MKV's second channel. I looked into the JP2C, and it looks like that second channel was for high gain rhythms, like they skipped a mid gain channel.

11. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

The 33 sounds amazing. Why wouldn't you leave it on for all your rhythm playing, especially considering how low tuned you are.

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Chiming in here, Ch2 Edge was a surprise favorite of mine in the Mark V, which I bought mostly for its third channel. As a Roadster owner, I actually rather liked Brit on that, but felt like it had either a narrow sweet spot, or a narrow range of usefulness (or both). Edge with a Strat, though, flat out rules for annything from a gritty and rude clean to SRV-style lead sounds. With a LP style guitar maybe it could get into decent AC/DC territory, honestly I haven't tried though my initial impression is that it really likes singlecoils and isn't as fun with humbuckers.... but with a Strat, it's a fuckin' amazing glassy, gritty, searing cleanish-to-mid-gain sound.

cardinal likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

Any of the marks should suffice for low-midgain tones. The bigger difference is the voicing options for the high gain tones.
    For context here's some impromptu low/midgain/high gain clips I just made with my knightro 8 string through the mk3's R2:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/42mw12xxqfif3qs/Ktele8Mk3lowmidgain.zip/file

cardinal likes this.
  14. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I hope I can! I've not used one yet but read all kinds of gripes about how it's only good for certain things and cuts too much lows blah blah. So if it sounds too thin for the higher strings, it should be easy enough to turn off when playing passages that mostly use those strings and back on when playing passages that mostly use the lowest strings.

icipher likes this.
  15. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Yeah, skip the JP2c if you want mid gain modded Marshall-esque tones. It can do Whitesnake fine but I think the MKIII, IV or even crunch on V can do it better. The JP2C has that snarly high mids too but the gain and saturation on the JP2C can be over the top even on CH2. Also CH3 is fatter than CH2.

cardinal likes this.
  16. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 SS.org Regular

KSR is nice. Everything good about the Recto, 5150, SLO, Framus Cobra combined, with none of the bad. The Ares is a bit meaner than the other KSR offerings.

Diezel VH4 is an icon at this point. But you either love the Diezel compression or you don't.

Hiwatt Super-Hi 50 is awesome. It does have some quirks though. Bad grounding. Bad FX loop design. Bad switching design. But the amp sounds fantastic. My fave high-gain tone to date. Just gotta be ok living with the noise. Also it's next to impossible to buy one. Took about two months to purchase one. That was already built and in stock, ready to ship. So much back and forth with the company. They're a hot mess. I wouldn't count on their warranty either. That said, the amp is a keeper in my book.

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This is very concerning...

18. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I was at that place a few years ago.
    Looked around my apartment at all the amps/cabs I had.
    ALL redundant...I just dialed in my sound on all of it.

BUT, if you still need to scratch that itch...
    try an original EVH 100 watter.

cardinal likes this.
  19. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 SS.org Regular

It was a pain in the ass to buy it. I bet I'm one of only like 3 people in the USA who has one. But it does sound awesome. Just really susceptible to noise if you use the FX loop.

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, I sent them an email once and then kept getting emails for a while asking if I was going to buy one. I feel like at that price, I'd just call them and say I'll come over to try one if they one in stock and buy it if I like it. It's one of very few amps I'm really interested in anymore, so I'd like to have a go on one at some point, just do not trust them until I have good reason to.