Tear my mix apart!

Vangoatguitar

Rational Gayz
Reaction score
SoundClick artist: Jared Faubert - page with MP3 music downloads

So basically a local metal band called WePanicInaPew contacted me and wants me to record a 3 song EP for them. This isn't there music, just a few random riffs that I put together so that I could work on my mix. It's got the perennial 'djent' beginning, ending with a hard palm mute section, then goes into a more aggressive hard picking riff, then on into a more chordal part.

Guitars are an Ibanez RG7231 Stock pickups, into a Floor Pod plus, blending the built in impulse with a an impulse of a some random v4 cab. Drums are addictive drums. All I've done mix wise so far is add a little bit of compression on each track, then again on the master track. I also eq'd the guitars a tiny bit but not much.

Let me know what you guys think! Go all out! :fawk:

pineappleman

Why can I not sleep?
Reaction score
I'm a noob and probably don't know what I'm talking about but it sounds like the cymbals are gated way too hard or something to where they aren't sustaining into each other.

Vangoatguitar

Rational Gayz
Reaction score
There is actually no noise gate involved in any of the mix besides on the floor pod itself. But I do know what you mean, I would describe it as more of a "wobble". I don't hear it at all on the main speakers I use to mix with, but when I listen to it on my macbook speakers and with headphones I can hear. Not really sure whats going on, im thinking that some strange frequency in the high range needs to be cut, but not really sure which or how much. If anyone has any insight on this problem please do tell.

Lucas_061287

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, there's definately something weird sounding with the symbals. Kinda digital and broken up sounding? I don't know how to word it. Have you compressed this mix?

BTW, love your Damien FR!!! Had one a few years ago- still one of my favorite guitars from Schecter.

Vangoatguitar

Rational Gayz
Reaction score
Yeah, there's definately something weird sounding with the symbals. Kinda digital and broken up sounding? I don't know how to word it. Have you compressed this mix?

BTW, love your Damien FR!!! Had one a few years ago- still one of my favorite guitars from Schecter.

Haha yeah I loved my Damien FR, still the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. Sadly I sold it about 6 months ago in order to switch over to a seven string, but over that last 2 months I've been looking to trade my Samick 7 and get another Damien. They are VERY under rated sounding guitars especially for the whole 'djent' scene. When I had mine, I had it tuned down to Ab and Gb and that thing honked and quacked like no other guitar I've ever heard.

I did compress the master a little bit, but not much, just enough to normalize everything. Do expand on the cymbal thing, I use addictive drums on my macbook in Logic Pro and I've never encountered that cymbal problem, but when I use AD in Reaper on my desktop I get this wobbling in the cymbals. Its starting to get really annoying, not really sure what I need to do, I've tried eq ing the over heads differently but the wobble is still there. I also have noticed that the wobble is much more apparent when the bass drum is used at the same time. I'm thinking that this is where frequencies are conflicting but once again I am not positive.

My snare is annoying? that doesn't help me at all. Can you explain a little more? I know its a bit more compressed and tuned quite a bit higher than what most people use but I like that snap and bite it provides. The drummer that I jam with doesn't even use a snare with the snare turned on, he just hits the snare as hard as he can and gets as much rim as possible and I just love how that sounds so I guess I'm used to it haha. Also the drum track doesn't have a midi randomizer on it so most of the velocities are all at 127.

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Nice clip man, I like the song. Very groovy and melodic. Definitely clear up the cymbal and snare issues. Maybe turn up the fiddles too.

Lucas_061287

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Haha yeah I loved my Damien FR, still the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. Sadly I sold it about 6 months ago in order to switch over to a seven string, but over that last 2 months I've been looking to trade my Samick 7 and get another Damien. They are VERY under rated sounding guitars especially for the whole 'djent' scene. When I had mine, I had it tuned down to Ab and Gb and that thing honked and quacked like no other guitar I've ever heard.

I did compress the master a little bit, but not much, just enough to normalize everything. Do expand on the cymbal thing, I use addictive drums on my macbook in Logic Pro and I've never encountered that cymbal problem, but when I use AD in Reaper on my desktop I get this wobbling in the cymbals. Its starting to get really annoying, not really sure what I need to do, I've tried eq ing the over heads differently but the wobble is still there. I also have noticed that the wobble is much more apparent when the bass drum is used at the same time. I'm thinking that this is where frequencies are conflicting but once again I am not positive.

My snare is annoying? that doesn't help me at all. Can you explain a little more? I know its a bit more compressed and tuned quite a bit higher than what most people use but I like that snap and bite it provides. The drummer that I jam with doesn't even use a snare with the snare turned on, he just hits the snare as hard as he can and gets as much rim as possible and I just love how that sounds so I guess I'm used to it haha. Also the drum track doesn't have a midi randomizer on it so most of the velocities are all at 127.
Yeah, I still regret getting rid of mine (sold it to finance an AR-15 build, my OTHER expensive hobby lol). I agree on them being underrated. I felt the same about my Epiphone Goth Explorer, which I wish I still had- that guitar was WELL broken in (i.e. the satin black finish on the neck was glossy with oils from my hands, and sooooooo nice and smooth). I may pick one of each up again some day. I'll just be content with my EC-1000 whenever I get it paid off.

As far as the symbals- maybe the audio is clipping?

Vangoatguitar

Rational Gayz
Reaction score
Yeah, I still regret getting rid of mine (sold it to finance an AR-15 build, my OTHER expensive hobby lol). I agree on them being underrated. I felt the same about my Epiphone Goth Explorer, which I wish I still had- that guitar was WELL broken in (i.e. the satin black finish on the neck was glossy with oils from my hands, and sooooooo nice and smooth). I may pick one of each up again some day. I'll just be content with my EC-1000 whenever I get it paid off.

As far as the symbals- maybe the audio is clipping?

The neck on mine ended up being shiny like that on the back. The satin was also rubbed down just above the Low E and just a bit in front of the bridge under the High E. I don't know, but there is just something about Damien FR's, they are GREAT budget guitars.

Anyway, back on track!

The master isn't clipping, what I'm thinking is when I get back over to where my recording set up is I'm going to mess with the compressing on the overheads, probably, well most likely I'm going to bring all of the cymbal levels down. I think I may have narrowed down what the exactly problem is though. I really am thinking that the bass drum and the overhead are fighting over certain frequencies. The thing is, when I back down the higher freq's on the bass drum, it loses a lot of that snappy click that I like. Yet I may be able to get a way with lowering the overhead levels a little AND messing with the frequencies, kind of get the best of both worlds I guess. I think I am also going to boost up the guitars a smidge in the mix, and bring the drums overall down a little. Still have to make room for bass and vocals and, unfortunately, those are the 2 instruments I usually have the most trouble fitting into the mix. But hey, I guess that's what all of you guys are for!

Lucas_061287

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
LOL, well, I can't really offer any advice, as I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. I'm just lending an ear is all. Either way, keep up the great work.

TheGuerilla

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did you put a limiter on the main mix ? Because the strange sounds of cymbals might come from too much gain reduction of the limiter (or maximizer, ect...).

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
Besides the cymbals, I really really fucking like it. :yesway: They do sound like they're clipping quite a bit though.