Taylor's Consolidated Projects Thread

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Doing a bit of work on the build for my gf. The neck is going to need a "bolster" at the heel, so that it sits a bit higher in the neck pocket. This was necessary due to the thickness of the starting materials.

0402202109.jpg 0402202137.jpg

She had trouble deciding what color she wanted the top dyed and couldn't make up her mind, so we're going to keep it natural and just do a coat of high gloss epoxy.

0402202140.jpg

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Looking great, don't remember if you mentioned in an earlier post but are you gonna use a Wilkinson trem in it?

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Turning out amazing! I've been wanting to try a set of the Black Winters.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
She still needs a proper setup, cavity plates, and a volume knob, but she plays! Pay no attention to the Line 6 PoS model. It was just on hand so I could make sure my electronics soldering was done properly.

0424200001.jpg

I finally came up with a name for this model/shape. In honor of the inspiration for this build, I present to you the Chiron! Named after the song by All That Remains (Rest in peace Oli).

0425201044.jpg

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Been messing around in Inkscape drawing up different body shapes. Here's a lineup of everything I've drawn up. Some are more works in progress than others. Also need to think of more names for the different shapes. I'm pretty happy with the first five of the lineup but the last three need some tweaking. I borrowed and shared lot of lines and curves between models, and I don't know if I like it because it is kind of thematic, or if I dislike it because it makes them look too similar. Constructive criticism welcome! Lineup.jpg

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
1, 2, and 7 are standing out to me personally. I think I'd dig #8 more with a bit sharper head stock.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Been messing around in Inkscape drawing up different body shapes. Here's a lineup of everything I've drawn up. Some are more works in progress than others. Also need to think of more names for the different shapes. I'm pretty happy with the first five of the lineup but the last three need some tweaking. I borrowed and shared lot of lines and curves between models, and I don't know if I like it because it is kind of thematic, or if I dislike it because it makes them look too similar. Constructive criticism welcome! View attachment 80150

I really like the last two, but I think I'd prefer them with the 2 sided headstock. I think the 3rd from last (Muse DC?) would look better to me with a fatter bottom.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
I like them all! Did you take any inspirations from other builders? The couple of bodies that I have made started out as BC rich mockingbird outlines that I just started tweaking lines on.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, the headstocks aren't set to specific body shapes though I do need to draw up some more.

I like them all! Did you take any inspirations from other builders? The couple of bodies that I have made started out as BC rich mockingbird outlines that I just started tweaking lines on.

I basically start with an idea like "I want to do my own super-strat, or X shape" and start from scratch. The Muse was drawn without any references but came out very similar to a Vik singlecut shape, which was very much unintentional.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
All these builds look fantastic! I really dig the work.

Just judging by the pictures of the Chiron, my only constructive criticism, and this is purely from a player standpoint, since you can't change the string spacing of that Floyd, I would want more on fret either side of the neck. The low E and high E looks dangerously close to the edge of the fretboard. Once again, I'm just seeing pictures, don't have the guitar in my hands. Please don't take that personally, as I said the work looks great!

It's something to consider especially since it seems like you want to build and sell these.

Keep up the awesome work!

Cheers.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
All these builds look fantastic! I really dig the work.

Just judging by the pictures of the Chiron, my only constructive criticism, and this is purely from a player standpoint, since you can't change the string spacing of that Floyd, I would want more on fret either side of the neck. The low E and high E looks dangerously close to the edge of the fretboard. Once again, I'm just seeing pictures, don't have the guitar in my hands. Please don't take that personally, as I said the work looks great!

It's something to consider especially since it seems like you want to build and sell these.

Keep up the awesome work!

Cheers.

Thanks! The pictures were taken before I gave it a good setup and got the action nice and low. I think the angle of the picture combined with the high action made the string spacing look off. The high E and low B have 1/8" to the edge of the fretboard. Been playing it a little now that it's setup and haven't had any problems with strings slipping off the edge. I do plan on starting selling once I'm confident in delivering an impeccable instrument. I feel like I'm getting there but there's still some skills I need to hone before I'm comfortable putting my name on something and selling it.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
One question that always bugged me on some builds...Why buy locking tuners when you have a locking nut?