Talman single-coil vs. humbucker bridge plate

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MFB, Aug 16, 2018.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

Anyone have any experience with the recent line of the Talmans, and whether or not there's a replacement bridge that supports a humbucker vs. single-coil? It's a TM302, not the upper level one, so I don't know if it's even the same IFX-10 bridge.

I'm looking at dropping it down to C or B standard, and along with upping the string gauge, a new pickup with some better voicings should help keep some of the dynamics and clarity; but I can find absolutely zero info on the dimensions or if you can swap it for anything else that's out there. Worst case scenario, I could see what's out there for stacked single-coils, but I like the options available with a humbucker more.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Any chance a local shop has one?

It's not stamped "Ibanez" or anything, so there's a good chance it's an off the shelf part, which would increase the chance of getting a different bridge that fits significantly.

3. MFB

MFB Banned

Unfortunately not, I went in to like, five different GC's before I bought mine trying to find a new guitar, and then I saw it online and bought without even playing it.

The biggest difference I see on others, is that they have different mounting holes, but I think if I get one with each other the corners it'll probably line up; I can't imagine that they'd be THAT different size compared to how traditional we are with things like scale and bridge positions.

4. MaxOfMetal

Wait, you already have it/bought it?

Just measure and compare it to the bridge you want to get.

5. MFB

MFB Banned

Yeah, I just wasn't sure with the level of measurements that manufacturer go down to with bridges, how much leeway I have since I don't have anything that measures nearly that accurately (never had a need for calipers in this household!)

I'll have to use Babicz points of reference to measure and see if I get anything close to what's available for aftermarket parts

6. MaxOfMetal

With bridges like these, as long as the string holes line up with the ones on the body, you're good.

Intonation range should be fine, and spacing is Fender-ish so that's fine.

I wouldn't even be bothered by mounting holes as long you you don't plan on going back to the stock bridge.

My only real concern would be what the routing looks like underneath.

7. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

If you go humbucker get this one; http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Humbucker-Tele-Bridge-Black-P603C709.aspx

If not you're gonna be able to see the stock oblong route sticking out from under the bridge a little and it's annoying. This is a mistake I made building my last GFS bodied partscaster tele. You'll have to trim a little bit of pickguard at the bridge.

8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I have both the Talman TM330 (the Strat one) and TM302. Here's the routing on my 330:

[​IMG]

I can only guess the 302 will have a 2 single coil route. Then again, there's also the possibility that the 302 and 303 (the Tele with 3 pickups) share the same routing. Either way, you'll need to mod the bridge route to fit in a full sized humbucker.

I'll see if I can get a photo of the TM302 routing soon.