Talk to me about reverb pedals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by gnoll, Dec 7, 2019.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Mm, what you guys are saying does seem to make sense.

The one I can't really stop thinking about right now is the Digitech Polara. It's so pretty, oooo....

2. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

3. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

well good, didn't know about the Walrus SLO until that. Looks like another i really want to try.

4. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I just bought the SLO last week. But now I just found out about the EHX Attack Decay...

5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The SLO is great. Maybe too much for what the OP is aksing for, but quality reverb that can stand up with the best units in a small easy to use package. Makes sense it made best new pedal of 2019.

Backsnack and budda like this.
  6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Backsnack likes this.
  7. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Ambient textures are definitely making their way into more popular music, for sure.

I wouldn't say ambient as a genre, however, has gotten any more popular. Unless you're into sitting back and listening to the kind of music that plays at a day spa.

8. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I'm starting to think the more conventional reverb pedals seem a bit too boring.

I would probably just end up on the most epic setting, maybe hall? And then forget about the others. I mean why would I want a spring reverb emulation? Spring reverb sounds terrible.

I've looked at the "SLÖ" but then I also found the "Fathom". I feel like I would probably not use the sine wavey kinda stuff on the SLÖ, which is why I'm looking at the Fathom. It looks pretty cool in that it can get pretty "interesting" but supposedly can also sound a little bit more laid back and conventional, if that should be necessary. It seems to strike a good balance in that way. Any of you guys used the Fathom?

Backsnack likes this.
  9. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Fathom looks cool to me. All reverb types seem useable. I say go for it. Not a budget pedal though lol

EDIT: haven’t tried it :/

10. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

most people will hate but this is by far my fav reverb pedal. it brings the weird in a magical way.

[​IMG]

11. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I still can't decide.

I feel like I have a good grasp on what's on the market now, but nothing seems all that great, except maybe some of the bigger, really expensive ones.

I wonder, if I want different reverb settings between songs, and maybe even between sections, would it be worth going for one of the big expensive pedals, or should I get a cheaper one and then maybe later get another one (and maybe a third?) that I can have on different settings?

Hm, but then I might sometimes want reverb in the loop and sometimes in front, so I don't know...

12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Well the bigsky is stereo i/o, and you are running minimum 3 reverbs at a time.

How much do 3 pedals cost? Let alone pedals with deep edit possibilities?

If you're going to use it, the bigsky or empress reverb make sense financially.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Does it have to be a pedal? I have been reading up on a lot of old 90's rack units lately. You can get crazy amounts of cool for next to nothing these days. I kind of want a Lexicon MPX1 just for Reverb. A Boss VF-1 would be super cheap. Most pedals today still can't compare with the old rack units since effects were more creative back then.

wedge_destroyer and Merrekof like this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Get a Space. It's the best one.

15. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Any tc hof is amazing, quiet theory reverb/delay (my current rev/dly) is super nice!! . Mercury7 seems incredible and im dying to get one.

16. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

You might consider experimenting with an HX Effects. They're going for less than the price of a Big Sky these days, and they can do a whole lot more.

Or ....

This is why I mentioned the Sky 5000. It mimics the older budget rack reverb units of the 90s, while adding in a parallel delay path so they don't wash each other out. This pedal is probably one of the most interesting and most characterful reverb pedals that I've tried. It's your one stop shop for gorgeous ambience. Turn up the reverb knob and let it wash into white noise.

Easily one of the best-voiced shimmer reverbs imho, and the -1 (anti-shimmer) makes it sound like there's an orchestra playing behind your notes.

This is probably one of my favorite YT demos of the Sky 5000.

17. budda

They were more creative? There's more power and options now though. Granted I havent put an empress or strymon against a rack unit, but somehow I doubt they would fall short.

18. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Ah crap, I hadn't even thought about rack stuff! Hmmm...

I guess something with midi capabilities would be a good idea either way probably.

19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I think so. It is true there is more power now, but the old units required more creativity. Take like an old Lexicon MPX1 or PCM80, and Eventide, or even like a Boss SE-70, or VF-1. You would have like a 10-20 tap delay that you could modulate with a chorus, and then put a reverb in its feedback path, etc... I want to buy a Boss SE-70 just for the 16-voice chorus. You just don't see this kind of stuff anymore. Everything had like 50 parameters, and you could create anything you wanted. You didn't push the "shimmer" button. You created it by linking the effects together in an algorithm.

Most things today just try to emulate something else. You select the MXR P90 emulation, or the MXR Flanger emulation, etc.... instead of giving you a blank slate with 50 parameters with the possibility to create these types of things. I think the older stuff was more creative for this reason. You had to know how to create these different sounds, and you could get unique versions because of that. Not everyone had the same crystals preset, or whatever. I don't think it is a matter of falling short in the tone department, but more like the options have been dumbed down. You have to go into big money rack (Axe-FX, Eventide, etc....) to work in this sound design philosophy today.

Backsnack and wedge_destroyer like this.
  20. budda

@Shask so you want an empress zoia? ;)

Shask likes this.