Talk to me about reverb pedals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by gnoll, Dec 7, 2019.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I want to get a reverb pedal I think.

Mainly for lead lines, sometimes tremolo picked, in a (extreme) metal setting, but also some cleans probably. I suppose it would live in the loop mainly, but I think it could be cool to try reverb in front too, but don't really know. I often tend to like music where the reverb is pretty huge, so I maybe don't want something that's too subtle.

I'm really not sure what to get, there's so much out there. I've looked at Boss RV-6, TC HOF, Digitech Polara, and also the bigger ones from Strymon, Empress etc. And also the EQD Afterneath looks cool. But since I haven't really used a lot of reverb before I don't know what would do the job best for me.

Also I've read some people talking about lack of headroom on pedals, which concerns me a little bit, since I mostly use EMGs. And if I use the pedal in the loop maybe that could be a problem? Should I be concerned about headroom?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Grab an old Line 6 Verbzilla.

Mess around with the different types and parameters and when you find something(s) that work for you, upgrade to a top tier version of that particular type of verb.

You can grab them for fairly cheap, and they're actually pretty nice on their own.

AkiraSpectrum and narad like this.
  3. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

The last thing you want to do is grab something like an Afterneath as your first reverb pedal.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

dunable eidolon- it's supposed to be designed specifically for lead work.
    I'm a big fan of the earthquaker avalanche run personally.

The906 likes this.
  5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Big verb? RV series or HOF should do it.

Spinedriver likes this.
  6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Agreed 100% -- though the Afterneath is an amazing pedal. It's just not great for leads and is too "weird" for a basic big reverb for cleans. I use mine in conjunction with a HOF II for really huge and ambient textures.

7. wheelsdeal

wheelsdeal SS.org Regular

Get the HOF in my opinion.I think its better when getting a first x pedal to get something mainstream and well tried,cause you dont really know what you want of it,so no reason to go special and expensive...the Hall Of Fame is very popular and has a lot of features without breaking the bank.

I was just recently between the HOF 2 and the EHX Holy Grail Neo and went for the later...i should have gotten the HOF.The EHX is a bit mushy.

8. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I concur that the HOF is a great place to start. The main differences between the o.g. HOF and the HOF 2 is that they got rid of several of the modes off the first one and added a 'shimmer' effect as well as 3 extra "toneprint" modes. If you don't need the shimmer & extra toneprints, you can save a few $ and get a used 1st gen HOF and be ready to roll.

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've had both versions of the Hall of Fame and they're great, flexible pedals for the money. Same goes for the RV-6 :yesway:

I love my Strymon Flint and Big Sky, but they're definitely pricey if you aren't sure how much you'll actually need/use them. I'm a fiend for reverb, so I get my money's worth from them :lol: I've also owned the Blue Sky and it's great, super easy to dial in, plus you get the "Favorite" function.

10. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I highly suggest the Electro Harmonix Oceans 11 reverb.

Same size as the HOF. Very affordable. Shitloads of tweakability. High quality DSP algorithms. If I'm not mistaken it runs on the same SHARC DSP that strymon and other high-end reverbs do.

IMO its an even better bang for your buck than the HOF especially since they can currently be found used for $110

11. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I got the Digitech Hardwire RV-7. I like it. Suppose to have Lexicon reverbs inside.

wakjob likes this.
  12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yep, both the Hardwire RV and the Polara are basically Lexicon stompboxes.

13. PRS_Baritone_Vito

PRS_Baritone_Vito SS.org Regular

I'll also recommend the TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb. I've had one for a few years and love it. It was my first reverb pedal and it's really simple to use. You can get that big and washy reverb tone out of it, or go for the really subtle almost not there tone.

I've been messing around with a Seymour Duncan Silver Lake reverb pedal and you can get some great tones out of that pedal as well. It's more complicated than a Hall of Fame or some of these other pedals people recommended, but it's definitely a cool pedal to check out.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  14. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

HOF continues to be one of the best-selling pedals ever for a good reason. It was also the overall #1 selling pedal last year. You can’t beat it for the versatility and it covers most people’s needs for a modest price.

That said, it can lead you down the path (rabbit hole) to experiment with some other more niche reverb pedals and sounds that have already been mentioned here.

Personally, I’m a fan of the Alexander Space Race and Sky 5000. These pedals contain some more unusual reverbs that I really enjoy.

Gmork and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  15. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

That's what I'm still running...no complaints.
    And can be had cheap if you keep an eye out.

Shask likes this.
  16. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I use my RV-6 for its crazy cathedral like shimmer setting. It stays there and i just use what's in my GSP 1101 for the rest, all great Lexicon stuff. I wish there was a rackmount of the RV series that was midi programmable. I can't go twisting knobs between songs and losing my magic shimmer setting. So I paid $150 for something I use in maybe 3 songs.

17. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Another vote for either HOF2 or mini HOF.
    Its capable of SO SO much yet so user friendly and sounds friggin fantastic!!

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I recently got mine. A few months ago I started buying up several of the Hardwire pedals. They are all really good. I am a Chorus fanatic, and the CR-7 is probably my favorite Chorus pedal out of the 10+ I own.

wakjob likes this.
  19. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

I haven't heard it in person, but the Neunaber Wet sounds really really nice on gear demos. Shame there doesn't seem to be anyone using it in a more extreme way.

20. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

This all depends on what you want the reverb pedal to do or emulate...if you just want basic spring, plate or hall sounds, most reverb pedals do that. If you want all kinds of weird ambient stuff, there are pedals like the Dark Sun that do those as well.