Talk me out of selling my Classic 30...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KailM, Mar 11, 2018.

1. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

So, I've been GASing for a 5153 50 watt head for some time now. I currently own a 6505, a 6505+ 112 converted into a head, and a Classic 30 head. My idea has been to keep the 6505 and sell the other two to fund a 5153, possibly the new EL34 version.

But I've had zero luck trying to sell those amps locally, and don't feel like dealing with the hassle of shipping them/selling on Reverb.

The other day I played the Classic 30 live and I'll be damned if I didn't love the tone I was getting just plugged straight in, no pedals. At home, it's got to have my OD boosting it plus an EQ in the loop to sound right. The cleans are spectacular-- and I'm really scared to give that up. It's just been a love/hate relationship with the overdrive channel.

I think what I've not liked about the OD channel is that it's way more spongy than my 6505 and it seems to require way too much work to get my tone, especially on lead/shreddy stuff. But if I get it in the right room, it's like it transforms into a different amp.

Maybe I should try a distortion or preamp pedal of some sort to get that higher gain metal feel and tone? I have an HM-2 but that's not really what I want with this amp.

The EVH 50 watt head kind of ticks all my boxes (excellent drive tone + great cleans), but my hesitation is on the cleans -- will they be as good as the cleans in my C 30?

TL/DR -- Should I go through with getting an EVH or should I keep trying to get more versatility out of my C 30?

2. TheFireSky5150

TheFireSky5150 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    Never looked back from my Triple Rec.

3. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

Mesa is really changing its image these days.

Hollowway likes this.
  4. TheFireSky5150

TheFireSky5150 SS.org Regular

Haha i meant since my 5150 ive never looked back at my mesa

5. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

I hated my Classic 30. All these blues and Classic rock guys love them but they are shitty amps for Metal which is what I want to play as my primary genre.

6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Not the best metal amp but I would hang on to it with some dirt pedals try the mxr evh overdrive... Or one of the bogner or deizel pedals

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I think it depends on the style of metal and especially the tuning you're in. What got me reconsidering selling it was last week when I tuned up to E Standard for the first time in almost a decade, haha. It actually sounded pretty good for old school thrash riffs. The lower you tune though, the less it can handle it. I typically tune to D Standard and C# Standard and it's definitely uninspiring in those tunings.

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Wait, you want to keep a 6505 but buy a 5153?

You keep the classic 30, you sell the other two for the 5153.

USMarine75, TedEH and Detested like this.
  9. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Kind of what I was thinking about. How do you think the MXR 5150 pedal would sound through the clean channel? Maybe I'd use it through the crunch channel with the gain set low.

10. Detested

Detested SS.org Regular

Budda's right,then throw in a strat if don't already have one for that classic 30.

11. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yeah i dont have enough experience to weigh in. But buying and returning a few pedals till you find what suits you is likely your best course of action

12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

That would make sense to some people, but there's no way in hell I'll part with my 6505. It is a raging monster, which is crucial for my sound. I like the EVH versions too but for different reasons. They are different enough to warrant having both. The 6505+ is right in the middle of those two, so I makes sense to me to sell that one.

13. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Are you running in stereo?

14. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I really miss mine. Never used it for super tight metal (because why would I) but I loved the grittiness and versatility of the OD channel. Sounded good for C# Sabbath stuff too, but I dunno if you already tried that and didn't like it. Do you not really play non-metal stuff enough to justify keeping it?

15. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I spent a few hours with a 5153 EL34 this weekend with the matching 212; and I’d still take my 5150/6505 120’s over it. An improved clean channel doesn’t mean it’s great. Maybe it’s the 34’s? But I run E34L’s in the class A sockets of my mk IV and that clean channel is right up there with my Deluxe Reverb. It was a cool amp, recommended if you didn’t already have the Peaveys even, but I knew after a minute I wasn’t going to buy it. Slightly different doesn’t mean better. I see no advantages to having this over what you currently have.
    If I were you; I’d just buy an analog A/B-Y pedal so you can use the C30 clean channel, and Red Channel of your 6505. Otherwise, sell everything but the 120w 5150, and get a Boogie or Archon or something that’s voiced (gain stages) differently with a killer clean channel.

16. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I've thought about trying that, but never got around to it.

17. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I primarily play metal. Extreme metal, haha. But I do value a really nice, lush clean tone because I do use that (with ambient effects) on a lot of my compositions. The drive channel on the C 30...I don't know, I like it sometimes and other times it's just...meh.

I do play some classic rock sometimes but it's pretty much just for other people who want to hear it. Other than metal, I sometimes mess around with hard rock and Iron Maiden style classic metal, which the amp is still kind of useful for. Thing is, my 6505s can still be dialed back and sound even better for that stuff.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  18. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

See, the reviews of the 5150 III cleans are really inconsistent. A lot of people praise them and others say they're just okay. I've played the 6l6 version and spent a little time on the clean channel but didn't have any of my reverb and delay effects. The clips I've heard of the El-34 sound great to me -- what didn't you like about the cleans?

FWIW, I've even heard some people say they don't like the cleans of the Classic 30 which is even more confusing because I think they're awesome. Goes to show tone is subjective and you really have to try stuff yourself.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  19. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

That’s just it. It’s all a personal preference thing. My go to amps for cleans are a Vox AC30 w/ Alnico Blue’s and a Fender Deluxe Reverb w/ Jensen c12k & Hot Rod Duville w/ GT75’s: they all use different tubes and are different wattages, but provide a fat low end with real chimey highs; but not into ear piercing territory. They seem to roll off treble at the ideal frequency range for my taste. Both my mk IV and Archon 100 do an incredible representation of these tones as well. The ability to shape the cleans with the mk IV is incredible, and the Archon cannot sound bad on the clean channel. I can use any of these amps for country, jazz, and blues shows. The next tier would be the Uberschall for me. It’s a nice clean channel but a bit sterile compared to my other options. I’d probably put the 5153 EL34 in this category. The bass is there, but it doesn’t quite sound fat and full; just a little bass heavy and slightly grainy. Then the treble is a bit shrill. You can lower it to a better spot, but it becomes boxy and muffled in a hurry. I would say it’s an EL34 thing, but like I said before, I run even hotter, grittier, nastier JJ E34L’s with 6L6’s in my mk IV and it doesn’t seem to have the same shortcomings, even running just the 34’s in class A.
    If I didn’t have so many amps with epic clean channels I would probably think it’s great too, especially when compared to the Peavey 5150’s; but for me the gain lacked the piss and vinegar of the 5150, and the clean channel just misses the mark. A little too thin and trebley. Maybe a different cab, and a Boss BD-2 with my favorite Tele on the neck pickup and more tweaking could get it there? All I know is I was really excited to check it out and was almost instantly thinking that I like other amps over this one. Still had fun playing on it for sure, but knew right away I was not taking it home.

20. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

So I've owned two 6505+ combos, a 50 watt 6L6 EVH head and Classic 30 and 50 combos. The EVH cleans really aren't as nice as the Classics, but they are way more usable than the 6505. (Bullshit guitarist descriptions incoming) the Classic cleans just sound more rich and alive. If you can't have the Classic and the EVH, I think you'll probably be fine with the EVH cleans, since good high gain tones come first. If not, Classics are really common and affordable, as you probably already know, so it won't be too hard to buy another one later.

Also I'm with you on using the 6505 for hard rock and classic metal stuff, the crunch channel with the gain dialed back is great for that. I remember being surprised by that when I first got one several years ago.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018