Talk me INTO re-purchasing the H&K GM40D

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MetalHex, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I am having regrets about selling it last time. I sold it mainly because people have convjnced me that I would have been throwing money at something I wouldnt be sure about. And thus convinced me that I should probably go down the modeller route, for the sake of simplicity.

But the more I think about it, the GM40 is still looking like the best option, even though I would have to put a little more into it to get it modded by Kruse. I love the idea of running a cable to the pedal controller, cable to amp and done. Not only that but the built in FX, and ease of use. I need 3 sounds max. And this amp has it all (moreso after the mod anyways). I need a TS boosted distortion for one patch.....that+delay for 2nd patch......and a clean/mod for a 3rd patch.

Kruse says his mods will give me everything I want. Better distortion, and a TS style boost. So provided it can, this is my optimal, and quite minimal setup.

I dont want to be tap dancing either with stomp boxes, and I dont really want to go down the modeller route because I dont need a thousand effects and have never dabbled with rackmounts and seperate power amps and stuff. Not that I couldnt learn it or enjoy it, but I dont see a need for it. I can get the GM40 for 800, get the pedal for 150 and mod it for 250 and be all set Not bad at all. Right now I have a 6505+ and a VK100 but I dont want to be lugging those around when we start playing out. I use a Boss GT100 and im getting sick of it and the less than optimal OD's in it.

So what do you guys think? Does anyone have anything modded from Kruse? (Apart from the recent thread on here showing the poor solder job; I cant imagine all of his work is like that).

2. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

I don't like those amps, at all. They feel as plasticky and crappy as the Blackstar HTs.

3. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

tenor.gif

Yeah they are lightweight, and it might mean that the shell is cheap. Im very careful though, and it comes eith a padded durable bag that I could hold on my lap like a little baby if I had to. It may not be built like a tank, but im not a touring musician

4. oneblackened

I don't mean build quality. I mean sonics.

5. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Just for context would you consider yourself a trve tvbe guy? How about modellers? Why do you think this amp feels that way?

6. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Just my 2 cents, you already had it and sold it for a reason. Whether you were convinced by people here, it apparently didn't speak to you that much.

I try not to second guess my decisions on gear, especially when there's so much cool stuff to be had out there. I'd rather try something new than revisit something just in case I like it more now.

Ribboz, Manurack and rexbinary like this.
  7. oneblackened

If I buy a tube amp, I want it to actually sound like a tube amp. I don't hate on modelers, there's nothing wrong with them. Marketing calls these tube amps and for the most part they sound like solid state.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    MetalHex likes this.
  8. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Ah gotcha. I guess it doesn't bother me that its not a "pure" tube tone. As ive played it before and it sounded and felt good to me in band practice. Only I think modding it can make it even better.

Would you say then that any other 50 w or less tube amp also doesnt feel like a tube amp? Is it the wattage that makes it not feel like a tube amp or, what do you think it is that makes it not sound or feel like a tube amp?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

If I had to guess...probably not being an all tube amp

oneblackened likes this.
  10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

If you already know you like the amp then just get. Whether it's a tube amp, solid state or modeler etc. If you like it then use that. Use what inspires you. Listen to yourself.

MetalHex likes this.
  11. oneblackened

Nope. Hell if anything the lower power ones feel more "tubey".

Probably the fact that the input stage is an IC op-amp, despite having 3 preamp tubes (3 stages cascaded + a cathode follower + long tail pair inverter), which with the setup they've got is at least JCM800 levels of distortion if not a little more).

efiltsohg likes this.
  12. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Yeah. I was biting my nails because today was the last day for labor day 15% off discount at proaudiostar and now i missed it. I did like the amp alot but the distortion wasnt quite there. 7/10 but I feel with this mod it could be 9 or 10/10 if it makes it sound better to my ears in the way that I think it could. But I missed the damn sale so that couldve helped out a little.

you lost me on the tech talk. Also ive no experience with marshall amps. Do you think the mod will give it more distortion?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  13. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- Oh, well that may change things a bit then. If you go for it then if the place won't come down to this sale price I wouldn't get it through them at all.
    - Sounds like you're on the fence. It's better to just hold tight and keep weighing options, imo. A mod that MIGHT make it how you want is a big risk indeed. It could cost you more in the long run or it could be everything you wanted. I find these experiments usually don't pay off and money is lost. If it does pay off it's the kind of thing that sticks with you for a long time though. It's all about if you want to risk it or not. I'd get an amp head and separate components and put them in a case, personally. This way things can be changed out, customized etc as needed. It's just a little bigger for the case a stuff to do this and is infinitely more flexible, but probably costs a bit more, but then again, maybe not.

14. oneblackened

in simple terms: first gain stage is an integrated circuit chip. I'm not sure why they need it, because they have enough gain stages for similar levels of distortion as a pretty classic rock amp.

15. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I def dont want a classic rock amp lol. Im hoping this mod would bring it into crushing territory

I am sorta on the fence, but ive been for months now and still cant bring myself to an amp/pedalboard setup. I actually already have the amps and pedals i need but i find it inconvenient in the sense that its overwhelming with the things that could go wrong, and the tap dancing I would have to do to go from a overdriven, gated solo with delay, to a clean with chorus and reverb for example. I know i can buy looper pedals and stuff but thats just adding more to the equation.

I can go ahead and go this pedalboard route regardless of what my decision is since i already have the stuff. Im looking for all in one and be happy for a long time.....i dont want a thousand effects from a modeller......But theres something about a beautiful looking, lightweight amp with the distortion and effects i need built in including a TS boost (modded) delay, reverb, chorus and noisegate, connected to just one pedal to switch with ease, without an external power amp and rackmount, that gets me hard as a missle. Its a lust that is always tempting. I dont want the modeller route as ive said, it doesnt appeal to me as much.

Like you said, it may not work in my favor, but then at least i can sell a now modded amp for probably the same amount i would be buying it used anyway (since its the same exact b stock one i returned last time im assuming, since its the same place and the same price), and in the end not lose a whole lot but if nothing else then I satisfy my itching curiosity.

c7spheres likes this.
  16. oneblackened

Don't get me wrong, boosting an 800 will get you into metal territory easily.

But The GM40 essentially has an extra gain stage on top of what an 800 has, with that IC at the input.

MetalHex likes this.
  17. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I’d take a JCM800 over any H&K any day!
    I’m not a fan of the sound and of their high gain lunchbox amps, I wouldn’t get it.

The only H&K I can appreciate is the Pure Tone.

MetalHex likes this.
  18. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

You're just gonna have to go with your gut and get it and mod it like you want and then let us all know how it turned out. Come on you know you wanna do it! : ) Hey, you said convince you in the thread title : )
    - As far as I can tell it does MEtal right outta the box. There's an Ola video of him demoing it and it sounds like it can do metal to me. Check it out. I don't see a need to mod it. really. I'd personally for the money go with a different head and a couple pedals, but I know that's not what you're looking for. Regarding the IC input stage. I don't know if that's actually part of the distortion circuit or not or what's causing the distortion "sound" wave or not. It's not a big deal if you like the sound though. I think a lot more amps use IC than people realize. My Mesa uses a combination of J-fet-style Ic's and tubes to get it's sound and it's a great sound.

MetalHex likes this.
  19. slmadsen

slmadsen SS.org Regular

The GM40 can certainly do metal. I used it in my former melodic death metal band, but it's a more refined and 'pretty' sound rather than nasty or sludgy sound.
    This is a live clip from two years ago, and both me (with the hat) and my bandmate uses GM40's:

c7spheres and MetalHex like this.
  20. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Hell yeah dude sick band. You can really hear it around 8:10 i think it was. Also, you BOTH had the same amp? Holy shit. Were they boosted at all? I can hear that familiar tone as ive had this amp a few months back. It can definitely do metal when boosted. i just want it just a tad bit nastier. Actually the tone reminds me very mich of the HM2 90s buzzsaw tone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.