TALANAS: 7 string acoustic album digibook kickstarter campaign

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
from the talanas page today:

you spoke - we listened, and so BEHOLD: the kickstarter campaign for the asylum DIGIBOOK!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/halsinden/talanas-asylum-digibook-album

despite our new acoustic mini-album being available via all the usual digital outlets, we've had so many requests for a physical version that we decided make good of it and offer you a 20+ page hardback digibook version. now all we need is enough to get it finished & printed up.

bids start at £10 where you'll (obviously) get your own copy, but put a little bit more in and we can offer you limited edition posters, your name (and even your picture) on the album itself, high tea with us in london, a spoken word recording from hal, a recording on the next full-length album and even your own private show from us (clothes may be partly necessary).

check the link for more details and check out the accompanying video, but please spread the word if you want to help make this happen!

much love & garibaldis,

TALANAS

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
So, I bought a Talanas album a few years ago, I heard part of one track and though 'hey, maybe this can be the new Akercocke!' ... But then it's just not. I wish it could be some kind of replacement but it just doesn't cut it or get even close.

I could probably enjoy the band more if I didn't just want them to be Akercocke.

Edit: Haha, I did not realize that OP is in the band. Sorry for the rough opinion dude. Hey, you know, you should write that it's YOUR band when you post about it instead of trying to trick us!

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
So, I bought a Talanas album a few years ago, I heard part of one track and though 'hey, maybe this can be the new Akercocke!' ... But then it's just not. I wish it could be some kind of replacement but it just doesn't cut it or get even close.

I could probably enjoy the band more if I didn't just want them to be Akercocke.

Edit: Haha, I did not realize that OP is in the band. Sorry for the rough opinion dude. Hey, you know, you should write that it's YOUR band when you post about it instead of trying to trick us!

there's really no trickery involved, chap! it's fairly clear to anyone who knows me or reads my signature etc and you yourself found out fairly soon after, so no probs there!

mate, everyone's opinion is important, no matter what - i thank you for the feedback and often it's useful to hear it when not tainted by the politeness of immediate association. for what it's worth, i think it's a huge pity that you might have been falsely led to listen to our material purely on the basis that we'd replace a presently defunct band as such a premise could only ever lead to disappointment, by simply virtue of the fact that we're not actually akercocke. we never have been, we never will be. it really is that basic.

perhaps more importantly though - we've never even purported (or for that matter even intended) to 'be' or replace akercocke. we'd be fools to deny that we were heavily influenced by them when we formed in the late 2000s and my time spent gigging with ak in the 90s certainly had an effect, but from that point onwards it's a bit like someone suggesting that tesseract have failed at being band because they'll never be meshuggah. (this is not to denigrate acle's fine work with tesseract, we're very different bands and they're WAY more commercially successful!).

i don't know which release you bought, but if you'd be prepared to spare the time to check out a couple of things then it would certainly put a smile on my face to hear you've at least given it a try outside of any expectation that could never realistically be achieved, for instance with tracks such as 'beloved whore', 'the unhealing II' and pretty much the entirety of 'asylum' which, if at least for own intentions, are also moments where we're still not trying to be akercocke.

would love to know your thoughts in any case.

all the best,

H

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for taking it in stride, dude. I just finished listening to Beloved Whore and The Unhealing II, and I will say that the the latter is pretty clearly removed from any Akercocke worship. It actually kinda reminds me of Type O Negative.

I'm listening to Asylum now and I'm digging that it's totally acoustic/clean. Acoustic can really achieve a sort of 'spookyness' (for lack of a better word) that you don't get with distortion. Conceptually it reminds me of Hexvessel, but in terms of composition obviously it's totally different, so it's nice to have some more variety amongst the spooky acoustic 'metal' scene. But either way I think this will probably be one of my go-to's for spooky acoustic music along with Hexvessel, so thank you for urging me to give it a listen. Oh, and for like, writing and recording it, heh.

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
Thanks for taking it in stride, dude. I just finished listening to Beloved Whore and The Unhealing II, and I will say that the the latter is pretty clearly removed from any Akercocke worship. It actually kinda reminds me of Type O Negative.

I'm listening to Asylum now and I'm digging that it's totally acoustic/clean. Acoustic can really achieve a sort of 'spookyness' (for lack of a better word) that you don't get with distortion. Conceptually it reminds me of Hexvessel, but in terms of composition obviously it's totally different, so it's nice to have some more variety amongst the spooky acoustic 'metal' scene. But either way I think this will probably be one of my go-to's for spooky acoustic music along with Hexvessel, so thank you for urging me to give it a listen. Oh, and for like, writing and recording it, heh.

hahahaha, good man. seriously, i really appreciate you taking the time to check it out on my recommendation. that's very good of you.

always happy for a type O comparison! pete steele was absolutely one of my heroes.

H

Hybrid138

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think if you read the phone book I'd buy it. Your speaking voice is sexy as hell man! First I'm hearing of you guys. I need to check out your previous works!

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
I think if you read the phone book I'd buy it. Your speaking voice is sexy as hell man! First I'm hearing of you guys. I need to check out your previous works!

thank you, fella. that's an incredibly lovely thing to say!

if anyone was interested, this is the page where i keep all my spoken word recordings: https://soundcloud.com/halsinden

H

a recent update:

"We've been amazed - over a third of the way funded within just two days of starting the campaign, and we've now reached halfway there within the first week!

We're now only £390 shy of the end goal, but can you help us reach it? That's just 39 choosing the most basic reward for us to reach the final amount. It's even less if they go for the more exciting options.

Now, who fancies a spot of a tea?

77895533685ee2136d62eb999de0af2e_large.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/halsinden/talanas-asylum-digibook-album"

H

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
we're at £810! meaning we only have £190 left to go until we've reached our goal.

this could actually be happening.

H

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
we've managed to reach our kickstarter campaign goal! thank you SO MUCH to all who have helped so far.

however, with 11 days still left to go we've just offered a new target - if we reach £1,500 then we'll create an entire DVD to accompany this limited edition, 20+ page digibook version of 'asylum', our new acoustic mini-album:

H