Taking Pre mixes to gigs?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by lewis, Apr 23, 2019.

1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

TL;DR - there's no reason this type of a setup complicates anything in a situation where it doesn't need to be fully applied as long as the band has their set-up/tear-down nailed down.

if the band is running IEM, they're bringing 90% of that digital mixing stuff with them anyways if they wanna have quick setups and not really piss off a sound guy by having him patch all his monitor sends over to their transmitters, and if its a place with a good PA/engineer, its easy enough to have him do his job as normal and just setup your monitoring stuff.

I call BS here. "Sounding good" as in having all the instruments audible and EQ'd to the room in a live context has next to nothing to do with arrangment unless you have three bass players all playing third harmonies in the bottom end or something. You can have a terrible arrangement and still have good live sound. That doesn't mean it will sound good, but it won't be because the mix is bad. And that's exactly what putting the FOH mix in your own hands is doing if you ARE running really dense mixes. Several places we've played we have a knowledgeable engineer, and it was easier to just hand him our iPad and let him balance everything since we've already done the work of EQ'ing in and around tracks/instruments.

lewis likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I agree with all this

the bolded is 100% the route I want to take for my bands live sound!

3. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Ah, I didn't realize that. Yes that is a good point.

We'll have to agree to disagree there :yesway: It took me a good 15 years to really start seeing what a difference arrangement (and key, tempo etc.) does for a mix. I could write a book on that, but that's for another time. That said, if like you say we are talking about really dense mixes, then yeah maybe it's easier to have it pre-carved and handed over as a stereo out, given that the band or someone they know are more knowledgeable than the average sound engineer. However, if the band is already running rack gear for guitars, what else is there really to mix? Kick? Hence why I suggested getting a trigger as a more economical solution over getting a full mixer, but if there's a plan of IEM's you'll need the mixer anyhow and in that case the whole question is a little pointless, as all you need to do is try it for 2-3 gigs and see if it's an improvement or not. You'll be bringing all the gear anyhow.

GunpointMetal likes this.