Tabs blocked on Ultimate Guitar?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

What is problematic in this regard, I think, is when the artist actively lies to people in magazines that likely get distributed worldwide. Dimebag Darrell lied to people about some of the riffs that later got compiled into his Riffer Madness book. If memory serves, he says playing the heavy riff of Cemetery Gates in open position is wrong, whereas it is in 5th position. A friend showed me a video of him live, where he splits the difference. (Again, if memory serves.) So sometimes it is the artist themselves misleading people for some reason.

2. Spaced Out Ace

Typo?

upload_2021-4-9_12-16-7.png

12/8 instead of 6/4 would make more sense in what you're talking about, and would be easier to read.

3. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

It all depends on the part and how it feels. 12/8 I would mainly use for a riff that feels like 4/4 triplets (see 0:33 of Dream Theater's Take the Time). The main example I was thinking of when addressing the Scale the Summit books was the beginning of The Great Plains. I misremembered the way it's written in the book. It's 3/4 (not 6/4), but would be much easier to read in 6/8. Plus there are tied notes everywhere which should just be "let ring" notation. Regarding your screenshot, Guitar Pro's default beaming for 6/4 is something I don't use. This is generally what I would do in 6/4:
    6 4 beaming.jpg

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1. I have both the Focus and Traced guitar tab books and they are awesome. I'm actually finishing up on covering the entire song, Veil of Maya. The one thing I hate about Cynic and I probably shouldn't use that word because it's a common thing that happens in music but the fact that they improvise/change notes in their repeating riffs. Again, I understand improvisation is a common/important thing in music but it doesn't help that the music is already technical. I must..., Focus on covering Cynic songs. :D

StevenC and Evan89 like this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

I could've changed it, but didn't bother.

6. Spaced Out Ace

Daltrey, would you shut the fuck up with that screaming in my ear? Hell!

7. BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai SS.org Regular

"Cloud" hosting from the big players (AWS, GCP, Azure) is hideously expensive compared to colo or VPS hosting... the value proposition of using services like this is that it minimizes labor expense by offering things like databases, caches, MQs, Hadoop, and so forth as managed services, not to mention the APIs, elasticity and HTTP object storage (S3). This works well for greenfield projects that have engineering talent to take advantage of these features and enterprises that have a need to shift costs around; I highly doubt that a quasi-fly-by-night website that traffics in copyrighted content would have the capital and wherewithal to pay a 10x premium and/or hire professional-tier talent to architect their solution to run properly in a Big Three cloud.

https://builtwith.com/ultimate-guitar.com

Looks like they're using a Dutch company called LeaseWeb (although they do use AWS for DNS - not sure why they would). They likely have a few servers colo'd somewhere and are paying Cloudflare to cache the static content (tabs and articles) along with whatever other SaaS products they need for tracking, commenting, and so forth.

8. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

:lol: :cond:

Thats the spirit! I love Tablature myself- Ive been a contributing member of the Lute Society of America for years!

TAB is in fact the OG form of notation, showing us what to play, rather than how to play in standard notation.

:cheers:

9. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Can you play acoustic?

10. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Tab is nothing new homes... ( OG 1500s) it was originally a sketch and you were required, expected if you were lucky, to fill in the blanks w/ modal improv etc, not recite note for note in copy cat styles.

Are you suggesting its easy to imitate? I might agree Tab in its current form is just that, perhaps nothing more.

Why not originate? Write new material?
    Isn't that what playing music is about? Sure we can sing songs around the campfire spitting plagues at each other, plunking on the acoustic, but does anyone really want to hear amateur hour Metal wankery?

Make sense of this if you think TAb is supposed to be easy:

3E6D0884-F0C3-4CE1-BF10-3BD796267278.jpeg

btw this ^ is usually a 10 or more min piece, the Tab is merely a guide.

Or what of this:

76465ED2-5D6B-4F49-9DD8-17BF9DABC598.jpeg

And yes I still tune the old way, plunking a metal fork across my noggin. Or tuning to the resonance of lunar cycles, atmospheric harmony and wooden forest spirits...Obviously

c7spheres likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I thought playing music was about having fun. Boy was I wrong.

12. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

:lol:

Metal Karaoke anyone? Air guitar olympics?

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

guitarists are really the worst musicians.

craig-sansum likes this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

FTFY

15. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Yea, seriously though music is hard work if you want to go pro. Touring is really hard, its not for everyone.

Playing guitar for fun is great no doubt, and it pretty much sums up most of the popular YT content thats out there- people playing same old whatever genre, shilling for the corps selling product. Which is what people want to do nowadays? Sheesh...

What makes guys like Ola cool- one foot in the old ways and front foot in the new, doing WTF he wants to do for the most part.

Another thing thats special about playing guitar or any musical instrument, compared to programming or computer music is there is always room for improvement, the skys the limit!

Even with Tab!

16. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

I resemble that remark.

When “playing” Jazz...

AKA butchering!

17. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

something that I dislike about SheetHappens or official tab books is that they only include the tab for the instrument you buy, instead of a tab of the whole song. For me atleast, that includes three problems

1-. sometimes, specially in songs with more complex rhythms or where the guitar playing is more "ambient-oriented", the lack of other instruments makes learning the song boring and harder, as Im not getting the interaction between the different instruments (Disperse official tabs are a perfect example of this, lots of layers, the guitar is far from being the main focus of the music, plus the fact that the fingerings in "Living Mirrors" have lots of mistakes)
    2-. when I was a kid, studying tabs was the main way to learn how to write, as I could clearly see how the drums work with the rest of the instruments, how the chords progression are still implicit in the riffs, how altering the snare position or the bass can dramatically change the feel of a certain section, how to write good accompaniment and layering in the case the tab was complete enough, etc. etc. Hell, I believe I learned more by dissecting Corelia tabs than by taking songwritting lessons for a few months
    3-. being forced to buy a full album tab book when most of the time im interested in learning how a particular song works, hell, sometimes just a section :lol:

The fact that fans in UG could make a far more complete and better work make it painful to go and spend 20 bucks for something that was free and better

on the bright side, the lack of tabs made me take the jump to transcribe some songs or learn more stuff by ear, and it has been great for ear-training, but working, studing and already having to tab shit out for my band implies that I can barely transcribe 4-5 songs a year

18. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

[​IMG]

19. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

While I would have thought this sucked when I was starting out, it would probably have helped me develop my ears earlier. UG was a good source for a riff and a lick here and there, but ultimately I would have been better off if I'd just learnt it by ear to begin with.

20. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Would you have? Or would you have given up on guitar after struggling through that first "easy" sounding Nirvana (or whatever) song for weeks on end and still not sounding quite right (perfect fourths vs fifths I'm looking at you).

Spaced Out Ace, kamello and Masoo2 like this.