Tabs blocked on Ultimate Guitar?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

So apparently now (or perhaps it has been a thing for awhile) songs are being blocked on Ultimate Guitar. Specifically, I was looking up Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart to learn it. Instead, when I click on the tab, I get this:

upload_2021-4-6_20-47-47.png

Sorry, but I'm not buying the tab book, which for a lot of classic 70s / 80s artists, the tab books are not great, hard to find / OOP (and thus expensive), or never produced to begin with.

This is kind of odd, to be honest.

2. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin SS.org Regular

That’s really lame.

The SG King likes this.
  3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

It’s up to the artist or the company that owns the rights.

VGK17 and AxeHappy like this.
  4. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

Copyright. Producing tablature of a song is a form of reproduction of copywritten material and when done without permission it's copyright infringement.

Which is especially dangerous for places like UG whose business model relies on ad revenue and associated income streams derived from the provision of tablature, most of which is not official. They can't claim safe harbour provisions if they willingly let unauthorised tablature be posted in order to profit from it.

AxeHappy likes this.
  5. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

This isn't anything new.

6. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I agree it's lame.

For some reason, it's only the Owner of a Lonely Heart tabs that don't work because I tried to see what other Yes songs such as Yours is No Disgrace and Roundabout had the same issue, and apparently they don't have this problem. RATM also does this because for as long as I can remember the Killing in the Name tabs have had this warning. Meanwhile Bulls on Parade is fine.

StevenC likes this.
  7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I can see why the tabs may be blocked by the publisher , even if think it’s super petty

But the chord charts are also blocked which is weird as you can’t copyright a chord Progression.

AxeHappy and Hollowway like this.
  8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I’m not in complete disagreement with this, in that too much of musicians’ worth is expected to be free, but I’m not sure I understand it. This is an interpretation of what the musician is playing, not the actual music being played. I mean, anyone can transcribe the material. It feels like, if this is the case, I am not allowed to describe in detail what happened in a movie, or I could get into trouble for a copyright violation. Again, I’m not against it, as much as I don’t understand it.

Furthermore, how are people allowed to play the actual song, without permission, and get away with it? We keep hearing about politicians (ok, Trump) using songs without the artists permission. Yet nothing comes of it, other than the artist saying, “stop it.” You’d think playing the actual song would be more illegal.

setsuna7, The SG King, Masoo2 and 6 others like this.
  9. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

I get that several musicians do this as a way to make others buy their transcribed stuff, whether it's published on their own or through the likes of Sheet Happens. Part of it is disheartening for those who have gone out of their own way to share what they have taken the time to transcribe.

On the other hand, it's even more disheartening (and at times, just risible without mincing words) to see that type of tactic applied despite the aforementioned transcriptions for profit from the musician(s) in question being actually less accurate, less encompassing, and/or overall falling short compared to the work some independent guy or girl posted on those more ubiquitous tab sites instead.

10. AwakenTheSkies

AwakenTheSkies SS.org Regular

That's really sad to see. UG and tabs were everything for me when I was starting. And now that I finally own GP 7.5 I make my own tabs!

There's no fucking way I would've bought or asked my parents to buy a DIGITAL tab book from the Internet when I was a kid. I don't see how this benefits anyone at all, just making things harder for beginners.

setsuna7 and BlackMastodon like this.
  11. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

I do agree that too much of a musicians work is expected by the public to be freely accessable and Politicians like Trump using tracks without permission makes things worse, is a cease and desist order really worth it after your track has been used at a rally?? But then this situation does seem weird, to come down on a tab site like this but to do nothing for example about Youtube and the number of unoffical uploads of Owner... there. There does need to be a huge overhaul of the music industry and the rights of the legal owner of individual songs or music being respected and enforced, but its prob way too late now especially with the tech/Internet giants control of political policy for their own benefit (see facebook basically holding the entire country of Australia to ransom over news feeds). Regarding Youtube it has always surprised me that the record companies themselves have never come down hard on them in the past over all the unoffical, basically pirtate uploads of songs and entire albums.......

Hollowway likes this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

A lot of the publishing and distribution deals were struck before the internet, and more specifically tabs on the internet, were a thing.

I think it's unfair to blame the artist, especially an old act like Yes, who couldn't see the future of tablature sites.

Really, it's publishers who lord over the rights that should be getting the pushback, at least in as far as working on some sort of licensing agreement that would allow for free use by casual players.

All that said, there are probably dozens, if not hundreds, or free to watch YT vids on how to play this song, many with tabs, so it's not like this is going to stop anyone who wants to learn in earnest.

13. ScottThunes1960

ScottThunes1960 SS.org Regular

It’s been a few years, but it used to be that UG still hosted the tabs for viewing by IP addresses originating in non DMCA-observing countries. Just throwing it out there.

14. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

Official tabs are more often very wrong and sometimes I really wonder what the transcriber was thinking (probably his paycheck and beer). The point being that if UG tabs are blocked then it's possible there are no worthy tabs available. A Russian tab site is probably needed.

15. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike SS.org Regular

16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Sure, but the first one I checked out was wrong. It didn't even take long, either. The first riff is simple as hell, and it was wrong. I moved on, but I'll likely find another one.

17. coreysMonster

coreysMonster Abrakadabro

UG used to be hosted in Russia, where the owner is from. I'm guessing they moved their hosting to the cloud, which means playing by US copyright rules now because all the big cloud services are owned by American companies.
    They've struggled a few times with copyright claims over the years, and at one point even had to remove all their tabs temporarily while sorting out legal issues.

That Russian site is UG (unless that was a joke)

18. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Yep, this is the same shit that killed powertabs ages ago.

19. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I think this is lame, it's been happening to a ton of bands that have been published at sheethappens

Not gonna go out and buy your dumbass tab book

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I second this! Go learn a better song like Yours is No Disgrace, Sound Chaser or Tempus Fugit.
    I would say it's definitely not Yes because they have seen how important modern internet routes are to increasing their visibility and value with Roundabout's success from Jojo. Or at least Jon Anderson has, and none of the current Yes enterprise was on that song except Alan White.

Though I'd happily blame Trevor Rabin for this in particular.

BenjaminW likes this.