T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

They were on an uptick between Wonder Woman/Aquaman/Shazam/Birds of Prey, I didn't see Joker myself but it was also well received; but for every one step forward they take, there's one backwards between BVS/Justice League/WW1984, etc...

Flash is still in production hell, and it wouldn't strike me if it ever saw the light of day. We'll probably also never see a good Green Lantern film with either Hal or John, I'd even settle for a Kyle Rainer at this point.

They want so desperately to be Marvel but they don't want to put in the time or diligence to get it right

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

DC just needs to lean into their vertigo back catalog, (I need Lobooooo and Constantine back dammit) and go full grimdark. They can't beat marvel at their own game, so they should just focus on good R rated stuff imo.
    Joker and Swamp Thing/Doom Patrol being good examples.

BlackMastodon and Seabeast2000 like this.
  3. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Realized I posted in the TV thread not the movie one, whoops.

How have DC's series been? I have no interest in Wandavision or Falcon/Winter Soldier, but I also wrote off Titans immediately when I saw Robin in the trailer saying "Fuck Batman" with so much angst.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol are great. Titans is mehh. It has some good moments but it tries way too hard.

5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

It turns out that with out AT&T fiber internet,, we get HBO Max for free (Thanks, lack of net neutrality!). The only reason I knew about this was because of a postcard I got in the mail for WW84 from AT&T that mentioned this perk. So...I guess that's one nice thing I can say about WW84.

As far as TV shows:

Avenue 5
    A luxury space cruise ship goes off course and they struggle with the realities, both physical (like supply limitations, waste, unexpected births) as well as mental (the ship's crew holding together, morale, relationships).

Sounds grim, right?

It's a comedy starring Hugh Laurie as the ship's captain and Josh Gad as a sort of Elon Musk-meets-Richard Branson-meets-a toddler.

Pretty thoroughly enjoying it.

RAISED by Wolves:
    I know Ridley Scott is involved, and it's pretty clear that's the case pretty early on.

A ship is sent to a distant planed, with two androids, "Mother" and "Father", and 6 human embryos in suspension. These androids are sent to grow and raise these children to save the human race, and escape from an army of religious crusaders, bent on destroying all atheists.

I await season 2, but I'm not sure how much I enjoyed it, like a few of Ridley Scott's recent-ish films.

6. oldbulllee

oldbulllee SS.org Regular

can someone recomend a show like first two seasons of True Detective?
    or Fargo?
    or Good Omens?

7. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Non fiction. That Night Stalker series is really well done.

8. Seabeast2000

Truth Seekers with that Sean of the Dead duo is a pretty good watch.

9. oldbulllee

i'll check it out. i can't watch online, got to download. therefore i need to know in advance is it worth watching. and that is hard to ascertain. diffrent tastes etc....
    i figured just yesterday that there is a season 4 of fargo, so i went with that. it's good. not as good as 1 or 3, but good.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  10. Seabeast2000

Interesting I thought season 2 was the best.

11. oldbulllee

well, there you have it...different tastes. season 3 to me. with the exclusion of the ending. catering to the lowest common denominator, has caused 90% of films( hollywod and boliwood, european far less so), to have shitty endings. pathetic really.
    what can you do... season 3, because the main antagonist.
    and i still have to see anything to touch true detective 1. 2 is good, but way behind. and even true detective 1 has that catharsis ending, but at least they made it a bit more inteligent ( spell catharsis, anyone?), than: good gyu shoots bad guy, and everything is springtime.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  12. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

watched ep 1 of the stand on amazon .I like the book and I have good memories of the old tv miniseries

Thought it was pretty decent. they managed to make it current without destroying too much so far. some it it is a little too real in a covid world

13. MFB

MFB Banned

Halfway through S7 of Boy Meets World on D+, hadn't watched the series all the way through since it was originally on and my family used to watch it as one of our staple shows (back when TGIF was still a thing). It's been a good walk down a memory lane, but there's definitely a lot of retreading throughout, and I'll be glad to be done with it.

Might restart my Netflix since I'm winding down on Hulu shows, and I don't need to re-watch any other shows on D+; I could start Mandalorian, but I'm tired of them expanding Star Wars just to shrink it back down with cameos.

14. MFB

MFB Banned

And finished Boy Meets World, decided to move on to Dragonball Super now that it's on Hulu in it's entirety; I saw the films that cover the two dozen or so episodes so I'm skipping right over those.

15. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I decided to give Search Party a shot and it was worth my time.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Started watching Star Trek: The Original Series the other night.

17. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Finished watching Kidding on Showtime. Never heard of it and was pleasantly surprised. The show gets pretty heavy. I'd say it's one of the better shows I've seen over the past few years.

18. Seabeast2000

It was offbeat and interesting enough I wanted another season but I haven't checked if that ever happened. I get wary when they put more than a year between seasons these days. Even that is highly risky. :lol:

19. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

A show that seemed to fly under the radar but I think is one of the best dark comedies I have ever seen is HBO's Dead to Me with Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini. Whenever I recommend it to someone they binge watch the first two seasons in one sitting (like I did)

BlackMastodon and spudmunkey like this.
  20. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Yeah, that wqs pretty good.