T H I C C N E C K vs thin neck

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by vilk, Nov 1, 2018.

THICC or thin?

1. THICC

50 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. thin

63 vote(s)
    55.8%
  1. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Dunno, my favorite neck is my gibson with a slim taper neck, but i also like my gibsons with thicker necks and my LTD and jackson with thinner necks. The only neck shapes i've found to be near unplayable for me are Ibanez wizard necks.

2. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Shape of the carve matters more than thickness. I have tiny hands and thus tend to favor "thin" if all other things are equal, but I'd much rather play my B.C. Rich (which has a fairly thick but really nicely C-shaped neck) than any Ibby I've ever touched (flat-backed necks drive me absolutely nuts).

aesthyrian and Shask like this.
  3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I used to prefer thin necks, but I ended up playing various guitars, including acoustics, and several of them had larger necks than others. After having played them, I adjusted and it doesn't really matter to me any more unless it is too thin (sometimes the base of my thumb cramps from playing rhythm parts for over an hour and a half or so on an original Wizard neck from the 80's or early 90's). I think the key thing is to just play it for a while and you'll adjust to it. Or you won't and you'll know to try something else.

That fattest necks I have played have been old acoustic guitars from the 1940's and earlier and classical guitars. And some of the early Gibson electric hollow bodies and other jazz guitars, including the early to mid 1950's Les Pauls, have pretty big necks, too.

4. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

A 60's slim taper neck feels pretty comfortable for me. I also like the C-shape neck on my 1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster guitar...it's like a perfect fit for my hands.

;>)/

5. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Thin all day bring on the toothpicks lol

But yea thinner is better, my strat and mock are the thickest I've had and I hate baseball bats.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Shape over thickness. ESP thin U is my preferred, but Charvel has such a nice C to it that any difference in thickness never bothered me. Old Schecter bats and thick Gibson necks I dislike, but I would take those over the flat uber thin Wizard necks that are 17-19mm.

Mike, protest and Millul like this.
  7. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I've always preferred thinner necks As I started out on a strategic, and then decided I liked s u p e r thin necks after playing an ibanez. Now though Ive grown to prefer rounder thin, but not too thin C shaped profiles as opposed to the super thin & flat D profile a la ibanez. Part of making the switch was that as iigot older something about the super thin & flat necks was making my hand cramp up and cause pain especially in my thumb, but rounder necks don't tend to.

I typically play rythm, but play some stuff above the 10th fret occasionally, but that's usually more chord based stuff as opposed to shredding.

Never ordered the wrong guitar, but the first and only guitar I ordered based on specs and having never played one before was an old schecter c7 hellraiser (the one with the thinner binding that's less visible from the front) which brings me onto the thickest neck I've ever played. The schecter baseball bat meme was real.

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I tend to prefer thinner over thicker, but I agree that shape is more important. I like thinner necks, but cannot do thin and flat, like Ibanez. Thinner and round, like Schecter Ultra Thin C, PRS Wide-Thin, ESP Thin U, etc.... those are the best. As they get flatter, like Ibanez, Jackson, etc.... I cant do them.

ToneLab and Millul like this.
  9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I am the same way. I have small hands with small fingers. I tend to prefer thinner necks, but I can't do thin and flat. That kills my wrist. Thinner and round is where it's at. I love the Schecter Ultra Thin C profile.... it is like Ibanez thin, but it feels thicker because it is round, not flat. I also like that it is narrower. I also like PRS Wide-Thin, even though the string spacing is larger.

Millul likes this.
  10. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

I prefer thin guitar necks, wizzard 2. With the acception of my Hellraiser

11. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

I voted THICC but I could go could go either way. I generally think beefier necks feel more comfortable and stable, but I also really like how some Wizard necks feel.

I recently bought an Ibanez with a Wizard HP neck and I think it might be the thinnest neck I've ever played. I think that neck is really comfortable, but any 7 string Wizard I've played before made my had cramp like crazy. Only downside to this Wizard HP so far is that if feels flimsy. It's really flexible and I accidentally bend it while playing and tuning sometimes.

12. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

I love me some thick necks. I find that thin necks, counterintuitively, cause my hand more fatigue and more cramping. I can't even play my RG prestige anymore. The neck on the Ibanez AZ is THICC and super comfortable. I'd love to get my hand around one of those.

13. Breakdown

Breakdown SS.org Regular

I prefer thinner necks but My favorite necks are my Evh wolfgang's and the Gibson SG neck profiles which arent baseball bats but arent the thinnest either.

14. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Shape matters more than thickness to me. I'm good with most as long as it's not a U-shape. I've never thought any neck was too thick but too thin yes.

15. johnucol

johnucol New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

I prefer the wide thin necks/pattern thin necks that PRS Guitars have to offer. Some of the much chunkier necks I've tried out on Gibson and/or Fender were crappy, IMO.

Shape is also important. I didn't quite jive with the super flat necks on my old Jackson guitars; the C shape seems to be the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

16. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

Currently with the thinnn crew but not overly so. I dont know if anyone has mentioned but for me too thick starts if I have trouble reaching 2 lowest strings above fret 15 while playing standing and strapped. No matter how I twist my body(and strap quite high up already) - It kind of messes up technique. My Chapman ML-1 is on the very edge to fall into this category but Ibby with Wizard III is not. Lower frets there is not a big difference and opinions in this topic confirm this.
    But you got me curious about prestige SUper wizard now - paper this? :D I must try it for fun sake sometimes.

17. RiksRiks

RiksRiks ERG Player Wannabe

Agree with most of the replies here...
    I picked thin, but I'm not obsessed over toothpicks, incidentally, I agree that shape matters a lot too.
    So far, the neck that I've enjoyed the most was from a Mayones Regius, I don't own the guitar but it felt right when I played it, not super thin and with a nice flat back.

On the other side, I couldn't get along with the Wizard that's on the reissues of the RG550, it felt too small for my taste.

I enjoyed a lot the slim tapper on my Matt Heafy Snøfall, which is also a not super thicc and slightly flat neck.

That's my two cents!

18. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

For 6 string it doesn't really matter to me, I've had crazy thin ibanez necks and ridiculous baseball bat gibsons. For me, once you start getting into 7 and 8 strings, the neck thickness and shape start to matter more. It's probably just because I got into playing 7s with a JPXI, but chunky necks on extended range guitars feel really weird and uncomfortable to me.

Kyle Jordan and Alex79 like this.
  19. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I can play two or three hours on my Jacksons and Ibanez and hardly feel it. The new Gibson with 50's neck I bought starts cramping my hand after 30 minutes of playing. Damn that neck is thick! But the sound and feel is a different story.

20. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I probably err towards the thicker necks - I wish the thin U on my ESP Eclipse was a bit thicker actually - but for me the width of the neck is more important. I prefer necks with a bigger nut - 43mm or more - and more width on the fretboard, as I otherwise find things very cramped.

I do hold the neck more like a bass player would, with my thumb usually placed in the middle of the neck. I reckon if you have to hold the whole neck and put your thumb over the top of the fretboard, you'd probably want a thin and narrow neck.
    http---ltp-us-cloudfront-source.s3.amazonaws.com-img-cat-69164-LH-Thumb-Position---Correct.jpg
    Like this
    thumb2.jpg
    Not like this.

couverdure and The906 like this.