Synth lead sound that isn't cheesy?

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think it's SUPPOSED to sound like a button-phone ringtone...

Voodoo Marshall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"I'm mainly looking for that sharp cutting "like a guitar" sound. I love the more atmospheric stuff as well but I have that stuff more dialed already."

Try your guitar w/ an E-bow or similar and run it through an EHX Mel 9, Synth 9 or similar. The fact that it IS a guitar makes all the difference to me.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Wow that's pretty wild, I must check that out...

Since it's getting thrown around, might as well just link it; this start at the part where he talks about splicing the chainsaw with his Mayones (99% sure his 9-string was a Mayo), but honestly this whole thing is worth a watch. The long and short of it is that he created the riffs, and then there's basically a database that plays them as the conditions applied to them are met, but those conditions also have different rules applied to them so it alters how the riff plays/which riff will play next/etc...

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Bodom/Strato are the cheesy kinds I'm talking about. It just sounds too "synth" and too weak.

Listening to the recs. Also I keep my ears peaked when I listen to synthwave but it needs to cut through massive quad+ tracked guitars and I think a lot of stuff isn't up to that task, even if it sounds good by itself.

I might try stacking some random stuff and hitting it hard with distortion. Maybe add a fifth to make a power chordy thing. And maybe avoid too synthy stuff like simple saw waves. If I could take stuff that sounds more like a guitar di and stack it a bunch of times, maybe detune each part a bit, I feel like that could do it. But I'm not even sure how to do that practically. I have a rompler type hardware synth but it's mostly gotguitars and those won't be dry sounding enough I don't think.

I want it huge, angry and wild. And cutting. Like a guitar but better, idealli

Is it possible? How would you go about it?

Most synth leads/solos I hear in guitar based music sound pretty cheesy and not really aggressive. I think it's often just a distorted saw wave or something similar but not really sure... I'd like something more aggressive but I'm not sure exactly how.

Anybody got tips?
i may be misunderstanding you. are you trying to create synth tones on you guitar or looking for keyboard sounds for leads on a synth?

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Of course I'm not opposed to doing wacky stuff with my guitar too though!

I checked out that Doom rig btw and it's pretty serious business. It would be cool to do something in that vein but a rig that big is of course not exactly convenient.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Keyboard! But if it sounds more like a guitar I wouldn't be sad.
ah! i see now said the blind man. if you were trying synth via guitar i might have some ideas, but the other way around not as much. Fishman makes a wireless hexpickup you can control a midi synthi with and that way your not locked into the Roland guitar synthesizer ecosystem.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You mean a synth sound made with a guitar?
eBow!
They sound great, not cheesy. On clean it has a bit of an overdrive sound. With a little drive it's an aggressive synth lead sound.
Run it thru flanger, phaser, delay... You can do a lot with an eBow. My first one lasted 22 years. Finally died and I got a new one this year.

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Keyboard! But if it sounds more like a guitar I wouldn't be sad.

For different synth sounds from the usual suspects (Moog, Oberheim, etc.) my favourite virtual instruments are:

- AIR Music Technology Loom II: very distinct additive synthesis with massive modulation/morph capabilities
- Waves Flow Motion FM Synth: the name says it all, but it's so far beyond what a DX7 could ever sound like

Captain Shoggoth

literally just vibing
Reaction score
Since it's getting thrown around, might as well just link it; this start at the part where he talks about splicing the chainsaw with his Mayones (99% sure his 9-string was a Mayo), but honestly this whole thing is worth a watch. The long and short of it is that he created the riffs, and then there's basically a database that plays them as the conditions applied to them are met, but those conditions also have different rules applied to them so it alters how the riff plays/which riff will play next/etc...

Nah the 9-string was a Schecter Damien that he sold after the first DOOM reboot. He uses Mayo exclusively now but just 7s & 8s

Reactions: MFB