Synergy Amps, Are They Worth It?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by XPT707FX, Aug 1, 2019.

1. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The modules themselves are fairly priced at 399 euros. I mean there are plenty of pedals that cost almost as much. Like I said on the first page, it's the poweramps and module connectors that are expensive. SYN50 + 2 modules puts you in the price bracket of a lot of great amps.

2. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

I can't help but wonder. Will a Synergy setup not be les accurate to the actual amps, compared to modellers?

Modellers also emulate/profile the power section of an amp. Whereas the Synergy system can only ever truly replicate the preamp section into a netural sounding poweramp?

Wonder how that will affect the autenticity of tones from more master volume dependant amps like old Marshalls?

Just a curiosity question.

c7spheres likes this.
  3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The Synergy preamp system looks impressive to me. With the ability to select between the three most typical V1 values (I think they when with warm and fat Fender, bright and tight Marshall, and the Soldano cold-clipper), the preamp amp modules would appear to be pretty good recreations of what they should be (assuming the original is a master volume circuit).

The only real reason I've held off is that I'm not terribly impressed with any modern power amps. I wish Fryette had made the ClassicXXX more widely available, but I guess there's not a large market for a boat-anchor power amp like that.

StevenC and c7spheres like this.
  4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I don't think it will match the real amp. It's just a huge pile of components that influence that from transformers to powertubes to the actual poweramp circuit and so on. If I run the Helix preamps into any of my amps' poweramps, they take on the feel of the poweramp used for better or worse. The sound itself can be perfectly good and if you prefer that there is no problem, but if you want "authentic" then the Synergy setup is not going to go all the way.

From what I've read from people who have the Synergy, either they sound like the real amp at a very specific setting or they don't. Especially the SYN1 and SYN2 will depend heavily on the poweramp used. But sometimes compromises are fine, I mean I use a Bogner that has Fender style clean and Marshall style overdrive with a 4x6V6 powersection and it sounds great on both channels. Good tone is really what we should care about rather than what approach takes you there.

c7spheres and odibrom like this.
  5. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Yes, I've been following the system from mid 2000s and early 2010s. Regarding it not being more mais stream, I think it was due to either availability and price AND, mostly the real reason, the lack of media around the product. Synergy is on the mouth of most youtubers, so it is getting momentum for sure.

As all guitar related products, these are not for everyone, but for those who are looking for an analogue tube sound at a "fair" price and the ability to taste different amp styles without having to sell a kidney. Yes, a full setup of 2 modules and power amp is quite expensive, but where can one have a Soldano and a Diezel together for less than 5k price tag? Are they TRUE Soldano and Diezel amps? In feel, I believe they will be.

So my argument is that, the Synergy system is a well thought product with improved experience over its predecessors, which is what makes it different, specially on the marketing front. I'm served with a Mesa Boogie Triaxis, which gives me ALL I need, but if I were in the market for an analogue amp, I'd certainly dive into this system. The thing is I appreciate too much the MIDI Continuous Control over Gain, EQ, Drive and Volume that the Triaxis provides... and obviously its tone. IF Synergy enters this domain (which I doubt they will in the foreseeable future), I'd certainly be looking at them. The ability to choose the preamp sound one likes best is a no compromising deal for any one (I believe) and if after a small time, there's a mood change, the replacement module wouldn't cost a leg as when changes an amp rig will... and the community of these modules will grow as to everybody will be swapping out modules in trades, so going from a Slo to a Friedman will be "free"... I believe this tech and product will grow, how fast, is depending on marketing and price / availability.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    c7spheres likes this.
  6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Only report I have read from someone in my country specifically regarding the Diezel module in a SYN1 was that it did not sound or feel the same as a real VH4. With the right poweramp it would surely get closer but that means compromises if the other sound you want is a Vox AC30 which responds in a whole different manner. If you mainly care about high gain tones then I'm sure a reasonably tight, big transformer, high power poweramp will get you to good places.

odibrom likes this.
  7. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The VH4 is going to be tricky because that is a very unique amp. The feel of it, in particular, could almost be described as bizarre. I love the amp (I think I've owned three...), but it sounds and feels so vastly different from the "standard" Fender-based and Marshall-based amps that it doesn't surprise me that the Synergy stuff wouldn't exactly capture it. I haven't seen a VH4 schematic, but I imagine that the preamp and power amp values are absolutely wild to get the results that it gives.

StevenC and odibrom like this.
  8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I think it is just too expensive and cumbersome for most people. It does look cool, but most people are just not willing to spend. I would also argue that most people do not need that much versatility in gain tones. The majority of people can get by on 2-3 clean/gain tones. Most versatility that people use in modelers and switching systems is more about signal paths and effects than it is gain tones.

c7spheres, jco5055 and odibrom like this.
  9. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Yeah I mentioned this on the Synergy facebook group (and even emailed Sweetwater about it lol) asking if anyone would be interested in some kind of "rental" program, like maybe for idk maybe even the full price of the module you can have someone send you a module, you try it for a week, then when you send it back they return the money barring like $20 or something (so if the renter ran off with the module they'd have enough $$ to buy a new one, but assuming everything works as intended they make a slight profit to incentivize the lending), as I'm the kind of guy who would want to try ALL of the modules and then keep whichever one is my favorite clean sound, hi gain lead sound etc etc.

Otherwise it's just so expensive and time consuming to just buy a few at a time and flip the ones you don't like/want. Maybe when the quarantine is over my local guitar center will get them to try, but they didn't have them before so I'm not that hopeful.

c7spheres likes this.
  10. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Also as mentioned, I understand Synergy may not be a perfect copy of the amps because of the power amp issue, but I mean when listening to this comparison for example, I'd say Synergy sounds the best regardless of how accurate it is to the real thing.

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

because they are the real thing lol

the actual companies are making them so

Merrekof and jco5055 like this.
  12. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

But if you factor in the Power amp distortion/replication one could argue the digital versions may be more "accurate".

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

jesus the synergy destroyed the kemper and helix in this instance.

jco5055 likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

im starting to feel like everything is overrated ahah.
    You can make anything shit sound good, and anything good sound shit.

the novelty of my Kemper has worn off (havent used it in months)

15. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

SRLY. I'm impressed. I totally understand that I'm sure if you fiddle with all the Helix settings and Kemper profiles, you could get something very different from those clips.

But the Synergy stuff has no menus and no gigantic profile exchange to search through. You just point the knobs. And that sounded pretty darn good.

lewis and jco5055 like this.
  16. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

I would never want to ship a module around to earn $20.The numbers just don't work- to make it worthwhile, it would be too costly for the person renting IMO

17. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

maybe then it would need to be $100 or so? Idk, I just figure it's the best solution I can think of for people to try out the modules unless they have a store that has them.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Those Kemper profiles sounded baaaaaad. :lol: The Synergy and Helix were much, much better.

jco5055 likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

eh the helix clips weren't much better than the kemper profiles imo. The Synergy clips managed to retain the high end and general vibes of the amps. I don't think the kemper or helix did a good job of capturing that high end/detail.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Helix ones could at least work in a mix. Those Kemper ones sounded useless. Badly scooped and no cut. Kempers also suffer if you try to tweak the profile too much.