Synergy Amps, Are They Worth It?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by XPT707FX, Aug 1, 2019.

1. XPT707FX

XPT707FX SS.org Regular

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with their stuff, because I've been thinking about getting a single module preamp. Specifically the VH4 one.

2. dirtool

dirtool SS.org Regular

I am thinking to get a syn1 too, is it free to choose any module preamp?

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

How much savings is there between a full Synergy setup (module, dock, power amp, etc.) vs. a used VH2 or VH4 (around $2500)?

I think the real question is whether you're ready to invest in the Synergy system and it's modularity instead of just grabbing an amp to use with whatever cab you might already have.

Use case matters too. Are you just bedroom jamming or going to be using this live in a band setting?

USMarine75, Elric and Ribboz like this.
  4. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Can't speak for OP, but I'm considering the Synergy route because for £1600 I can get a SYN30 and an SLO module, whereas a Soldano almost never pops up used here, and when it does it's... Expensive. Same with a Diezel. Never seen a VH4 for less than £1800 on the used market.

I mean... Why wouldn't you want to when it sounds like this (2:44):

Attached Files:

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  5. XPT707FX

XPT707FX SS.org Regular

I'm just a bedroom player and my plan would be to use it to add a few channels to my Mt15

wakjob likes this.
  6. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

That plus it's the initial investment of the dock (and possibly a power amp) that's the kicker. After that, the modules seem to be reasonably priced (considering how much pre-amp based pedals are going for these days), so if after a while you end up not liking the SLO module, for less than the cost of a new amp, you can get a Diezel, Friedman, Engl, etc..

I think it's pretty ideal for people that like to have a variety of tones on hand but either don't want to deal with programming modelers like a Kemper or Axe Fx or tend to either flip amps frequently and/or don't have the money or space to have half a dozen amp heads stacked up in a room.

odibrom likes this.
  7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Everything that the Synergy modules hook into is severely overpriced. The SYN30 and SYN50 are literally the most expensive mono guitar poweramps on the market. The modules themselves are reasonably priced.

I don't believe in the module swapping either. You will most likely buy a few, then settle on a couple of them and never change them because it's a chore. It's one of those ideas that works great when you are buying the thing where you can choose your favorite bits trying each at the store and take those home.

Emperoff likes this.
  8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I’ve seen more bad reviews than good about the power amps. The modules however mostly get good reviews. The SLO specifically, everyone seems to like that one.

I think the synergy stuff makes more sense if you already have a rack setup, or if you just want to add some sounds to an existing amp. Buying a full synergy setup is very pricy, and maybe not worth it unless you just gotta have specific sounds that any one amp can’t do, and also you don’t want to go digital.

Having access to all those modded MTS modules is cool too. There’s a few of those I’d really like to try.

Spinedriver likes this.
  9. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I had the SYN-1 unit, and only used Randall / custom modules with it. I didn't actually get my hands on any Synergy mods. The unit itself is very impressive. Using it with a Fender HRD was simple, and very effective! I ran Marshall, Fryette, Mesa, and Bogner style mods with it, all with great success.

As far as the Synergy mods are concerned, I've heard lots of really good things. The SLO seems to be generally accepted as the most popular mod. With the upcoming Bogner and Fryette modules, I can see myself edging back towards it.

Spinedriver likes this.
  10. Spinedriver

This kinda begs the question.. If the old MTS modules work with the SYN-1, how compatible are the Synergy modules with the old MTS amps ? I think I read somewhere that they sorta do but only with certain models or something like that ?
    If that's the case, some of those old MTS units aren't that expensive and if some of the Synergy modules will work with it, that could be a possible solution for those that can't afford the SYN units.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

If it's anything like the old Egnator MOD series, it seems to be that they should work, but you can't switch channels on the individual models.

12. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

A single module dock and 2 modules cost like $1200 and you’d still need a poweramp. A good amount of tone comes from the poweramp too. I feel like an axe fx is just a better value imo. A III costs as much as a single dock and 4 modules and you get poweramp modeling, effects, etc. with the axe fx. It isn’t worth it unless you're an analog elitist imo (although I haven’t tried one so take my opinion with a grain of salt).

13. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Given the price of all amps besides Marshall, Orange, and Laney in the UK, it's really not that expensive compared to all your other popular amp brands. A Synergy setup costs less than a 100w EVH. Overpriced? I wouldn't say so, considering it sits around the same £1-2k range as most mid to high grade amps.

That being said, I'd rather have a straight up amp, I don't like having too many options. I'd kill for a Soldano HR50+, but it's just not on the cards unless one magically appears on eBay etc, whereas a SYN30 is a much more plausible alternative.

Descent likes this.
  14. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

They're working on a new module with Steve Vai also, but no word on a release date or anything.

15. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I really want to like it, but the problem is that a single dock with one module is $900. The Fractal FM3 is $1000, the L6 Stomp is $600, both of which allow you to switch your amp's preamp back in and out. I know it's somewhat apples/oranges, but with modelers getting so good, that's who they're competing with.

Stiman, 0rimus, laxu and 1 other person like this.
  16. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Looks like I'm getting into Synergy then

17. Spinedriver

That's kinda what I was getting at earlier. There are a good number of people that enjoy having access to multiple 'tones' but don't want to have to deal with scrolling though menus, remembering where certain patches are stored, etc... Put an SLO module on one side and a Diezel on the other and you'd be pretty much all set, without having to lug around 2 seperate heads, deal with an amp switcher, etc...

18. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Oh I get it, trust me. I actually really get frustrated with modelers, because most presets sound like crap to me, and they're never as simple as just pulling up an amp and IR.

19. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

not in my opinion, just get the real deal rather than the cloney type thing

but for gigging i think it does make a lot of sense, frankly if i wasn't a third bedroom room rock star and actually played with others i'd just get the axe fx,

but for a tube set up, nope, i'd save and buy whatever amp i want...

Spinedriver likes this.
  20. Spinedriver

I's funny you say that. In well over 15 years of using modellers of all shapes & sizes, I've never had a single one where the pre-sets were any good. Every single time I try a new one, I just go immediately to the empty 'user' banks and just start from there.

Stiman, Matt08642, cwhitey2 and 3 others like this.