Switching from my MTD Kingston?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by cip 123, Sep 22, 2019.

1. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Irrespective of the various neck shapes, every Warwick I've had played well and very fast because you could just slam the action down super low without any trouble.

2. dax21

dax21 SS.org Regular

Can't really agree with you there.
    Sure, you can get that burpy Jaco tone with just a bridge pup on a Corvette, but then again that is not very hard to do on any bass. With both pickups full on, Corvette and a Jazz bass sound nothing alike. Jazz is scooped, Corvette still retains midrange, growl and bark. You can tell a Warwick out of a dozen basses just by hearing it, it's far more aggressive. I mean everyone should have at least one Jazz bass, don't get me wrong, I like them, but they are a different thing altogether.
    And maybe the biggest difference is in the physical aspect of playing these two instruments, Warwick has a tiny body that fits nicely whether you are standing or sitting, it balances nicely. Practicing on it and then picking up a jazz bass feels like the body is twice as large and protruding everywhere. And then there is the issue of neck dive.

3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The MEC electronics definitely have their own sound. My point was that the typical Corvette pickups are placed the same distance from the nut/frets/bridge as a '60s Jazz bass. If you swap around their electronics, the Jazz and the Corvette should sound pretty much the same because the pickups are in the same spots.

The various Warwick models all tinker with the pickup placement. The typical Streamer has the bridge pickup at the same spot as a '70s Jazz but moves the neck pickup a bit closer to the bridge as well. The Thumb tends to have the two pickups moved real close to the bridge. Etc.

The ergonomics definitely differ as well, that's very true.

4. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

i believe the millennials call that DUMMY THICC

cip 123 likes this.