Sweet N Sour NGD [PRS CE DW 24]

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Allexi, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Allexi

Allexi SS.org Regular

I have and unexpected NGD from my wife!
    In a sudden I heard a doorbell and voila: FedEx guy with a big box. What a surprise!
    Don't get me wrong - I'm super happy, but wanted to share what is PRS nowadays. (even if it is just only one case and happened once)

IMG_0916.jpg

A wonderful PRS with all the specs I love: mahogany body with thick maple cap, beefy maple neck with maple fretboard. 24 frets, Floyd.

IMG_0507_2.jpg

Will start with positive aspects: sound. It sounds huge, very very focused. Really long sustain. All notes are articulate and thanks to bolt-on neck a plenty of attack.
    I was literally blown away with the sound and spend hours and hours playing it.
    I must say that pickups are really good. Interesting voice, but just a bit towards classic area tones in the bridge position. Sweet and round in the neck. Since this guitar has 5 way switch - it gives you plenty of sound combinations.
    It is very loud acoustically - noticed it strait away, so not playing it at nights anymore :)

After honeymoon days I started noticing things and...disappointments...

First thing I noticed is this:
    *just an example, it is all across the fretboard. Paint issues + ugly looking fret ends.

IMG_0537.JPEG

and this:
    * a very noticeable paint layer

IMG_0543.JPEG

After meticulous "inspection" found more interesting details:
    * just 3 bare wood spots, missing any finish.
    IMG_0527.JPEG

How about this?
    IMG_0542.JPEG

and some other funny stuff:
    IMG_0518.JPEG IMG_0520.JPEG IMG_0521.JPEG IMG_0534.JPEG

Long story short - since it was a gift from my wife I decided to keep it.
    Purchase was made through Sweetwater, their support told me that is "absolutely normal" for a guitar like that (2.5k $) :flex:. Not even trying to discuss/dispute their "inspection".

I was completely disappointed, since PRS always was a top manufacturer. Not anymore. Sweetwater gave me 2 options - return it back with refund or a discount.
    I also reached PRS Tech center and they offered my to fix it with some nitro finish or send guitar to them to refinish the neck for 700$ + shipping. :fawk:.

This is how idols fall.

Thanks for the attention.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. Allexi

Allexi SS.org Regular

Apologies for typos, cannot edit the post because of that annoying 401 Unauthorized issue.

3. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Dude, you have an awesome wife! And despite the many minor flaws that you've pointed out, that's a gorgeous top/ lovely guitar. It's a shame to see an instrument in this price range make it past QC but at least for me, if it feels and sounds as fantastic as what you've described... that's the most important factor. Glad that aside from the numerous imperfections, it's such a tonal monster. And again... even with those issues, it's quite a stunning guitar. Thank you for posting about your experience so that others are aware. I would keep it but absolutely take Sweetwater up on a partial refund/ discount. Regardless.. HNGD.

Wc707 and c7spheres like this.
  4. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I think I would have picked it up, played it, been pretty happy, and never noticed.

5. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

That's really odd, because all the PRS guitars I've played and owned, especially recently have been virtually flawless, even the MII ones. Man that sucks, I'm sorry to hear this.

Matt08642 likes this.
  6. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

I know this feeling. I purchased a Cutlass HSS recently with some disappointing QC quirks. I've gotten over it in the last couple weeks, and I imagine you will too, especially since there's a sentimental piece to this guitar.

On a lighter note, the guitar is beautiful. I love the look of the DW sig. Enjoy it!

7. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

@$250 sure i wonldn't bother looking but @ $2.5K come on...PRS QC Wake the fuck up

i just got a £200 harley benton fusion II and i doesn't have any of these issues which is pretty crazy if you think about it....

Musiscience and I play music like this.
  8. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Plausible for any shop to let one slip that isn't up to par quality wise but it's extremely rare to see from PRS on the USA line. I would email PRS customer service with what sweetwater said and see what they come back with. I would highly doubt they would want this kind of work to be considered "normal".

Honestly though I would just explain it with your wife and return it. Sweetwater has a 30 day return I do believe. You'll always have a love/hate thing. Let her pick the new one out or give her some options from other shops that have actual in stock pictures.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  9. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

TBH, none of those issues would have bothered me. And as long as the frets felt great I could forgive the look.

10. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred SS.org Regular

You have a wonderful wife......but for that kind of scratch I bet she wouldn't have a problem with you sending it back. Those are blemishes that should not in any way shape or form be found on an SE much less a Maryland PRS.

11. Amenthea

Amenthea SS.org Regular

PRS hold themselves to a very high standard in regards to quality, and for 2.5k it has to be perfect. Being guitarists and other musicians I sometimes think we get normalised to the cost of these things, but when you can go pick up a £160 JS Jackson or an £500 PRS SE (for example) and it be perfect, there is absolutely no excuse for this. SW can also go suck a frogs leg for the 'its normal' comment as well.
    If you are going to keep it at least make SW give you a discount. You will be thinking about these things when you play it (I don't think you would have posted if not) and it will grind on you over time, especially since it was a gift, so knowing you at least got something back/recognition for it is something.

pecado, I play music and Riverrunsred like this.
  12. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred SS.org Regular

Agreed, I actually can't believe PRS let it leave the building.

13. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

That is a bummer! I think we've all been there at one point or another with an instrument that doesn't quite live up to our expectations.

Honestly, I think SW's whole "55 point inspection" thing is mostly just for marketing purposes. Hopefully it still play like an expensive guitar. However, you're totally justified in sending it back, I think.

I'll say though, it does look great aside from those small issues. And you have the best wife on the planet for buying you that!

14. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

So..your wife....is she single?

15. 73647k

73647k SS.org Regular

QC issues aside that's a nice looking guitar. There's something about seeing a floyd on a PRS that makes me want one

16. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I'm surprised to see so many small defects.
    None are a deal breaker, but there are a lot.
    Would be a "2nd stock" from any other decent manufacturer, so it's a bit surprising that both PRS and SW let it in the wild as something "normal".

That said, it looks otherwise great, and I love the specs and feel of that model, so I would 100% rock it if it had a discount in line with the defects.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  17. guitar_player4_2_0

guitar_player4_2_0 SS.org Regular

Dude, I was the same way when I got my EII. When you’re spending 2k+, you expect it to be *perfect* and I nitpicked for days and kept finding things I let bug me. Nothing is going to be completely flawless, although I’ll give you that tape finish line is a bit wonky. You could probably scrape off that extra bit of wood by the fret also. Those little specs and finish issues aren’t enough to send it back as long as the playability is up to par in my opinion, although it certainly doesn’t look great for PRS. I’ve been gassing for this exact model in this exact color, and this thread doesn’t make me want it any less. You’ve got yourself a keeper, wife and guitar. Congrats and enjoy!

InfernalVortex likes this.
  18. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Look at how much you zoomed in for those photos. Seriously... Did you go over this with a magnifying glass?

[​IMG]

It annoys me when people complain about things like the image above. Granted, with all of the small issues, it does look like QC is not as tight as it was five years ago on either the manufacturer or the seller, but some of the "issues" that you addressed are not issues unless you are playing guitar under a bright light with a magnifying glass.

If you have to zoom in on an image and point out the so-called issue with red arrows, it probably was not that big of an issue in the first place.

19. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

That's a really sick guitar and an absolutely amazing gift.
    BUT, that's some really crazy zooming going on there. You're really busting out the microlens to capture all of this. Literally the only thing I'd say is problematic would be the spots on the fretboard without finish, which may be an easy remedy too. However, you really buried that in a sea of complaints that are largely about the nature of wood and, quite literally, blew them up. But you also said that you really had to look to notice the spots AFTER posting up all this other stuff.
    So it's not surprising that it'd be hard to take seriously and I an see why Sweetwater would just toss some credit back your way to be done with it.
    Just put the microlens away, turn off your studio lighting and enjoy the guitar. It looks sick.

20. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

maybe ive grown super cynical over the years, but all the things pointed above, have always been the 'normal' for my experience, all across the price range for any guitar out there.

with a microscope, and enough digging, you will find flaws in any God out there. I'm not necessarily defending PRS here, as I dont really like most of the guitars they offer, but defending guitar manufacturing, in general. I've seen flaws on $5000 guitars, and I've seen flaws on sub $1000 guitars. so long as the playing, the frets, and all are in good standing, the rest is bonus.

i think you have a sweet guitar that deserves to be played with your hands, and not your microscope.