Supplement Sources

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Mike, May 11, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

Does anyone order bulk natural supplements and create their own mixes, blends etc?

I've been using True Nutrition for a little while and I've had ok luck with them, but I'm looking for someone better. Their proteins are good, but I'm pretty sure their aminos are snake oil.

Has anyone tried some similar alternatives like Protein Factory, Bulk Supplements, or another company that they could recommend to me?

2. bpprox22

bpprox22 Broken Escalator

True Nutrition seems to be the go-to for that kind of stuff. I'd be curious to hear what others suggest.

3. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

My Protein is very well known and gets great marks as they are no frills and low cost. I am asking why you think you need BCAA's though? Unless you are training fasted that's about the only reason for them.

4. Ebart

Ebart SS.org Regular

The recent literature has been showing no effects of BCAAs in general - however leucine (a BCAA) is the amino acid that is shown to stimulate mTOR pathways and therefore muscle protein synthesis. So make sure you're using a protein source with high leucine content (whey), or add supplemental leucine to your protein drinks (it makes everything taste terrible, however). But I'd skip the BCAAs.
    ß-alanine and creatine however are certainly worth your money, and a +1 for True Nutrition. Their stuff is now 3rd party tested (I don't know if this was always the case, but the most recent order I got from them it was labelled as such), thus guaranteeing its purity and content.
    Love,
    An exercise physiologist and nutritional scientist.

5. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I 2nd the myprotein stuff. Been using it for years and they always have good sales/deals going on, on their website!

6. RG503

RG503 SS.org Regular

i drink whey isolate in the morning and casein in the evening to keep me full thru the night.... when i exercise. im taking some time off because i tore a rotator cuff. this probably doesnt help you, but it is what it is.

7. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

+1 on creatine and beta alanine, I've also seen very good fat loss boosts from high strength L carnitine personally.

I recently ordered the Bulk preworkout from transparent labs. It is a bit expensive (especially for me with overseas shipping) however it has excellent contents and lower than average caffeine (a plus for me)

It's a large serving but it offers a bit of an all in one pre work out sup solution you might be interested in.