Super-strats? What about super-teles?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by pfizer, Jun 24, 2016.

1. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

Anyone have any further info on the statement that Wirebird isn't currently taking orders? They set the bar in this department for me.

If I were to pull the trigger on a build it would be between a Wirebird Contour IV and a Suhr T24 (I miss my HH Classic T).

2. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

Partscaster Super Teles:
    [​IMG]

It's a Tone Zone bridge, so I think this technically counts.
    [​IMG]

3. warpedsoul

warpedsoul SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I own both of these. Both great, but the Hellraiser Hybrid UV is my favorite guitar I own.

4. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Luv me sum super teles. I soo want a Wirebird but that Ormsby is intersting too, especially cuz I'm a sucker for bright green.

Still have crazy thoughts of ordering a ESP SRC tele with his pink camo but I know it would kill my wallet.

5. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Damn, the Wirebird telecasters look sick -- that neck joint in particular looks super-slick.

So much eye-candy in this thread. Does anyone here actually own any of the super-telecasters shown?

Let me start: The only super-tele I've ever owned was the Ibanez FR Prestige in black. It was great, if a bit on the heavy side and the neck was pretty chunky for an Ibanez, which is still pretty dang skinny.

Unfortunately, I was in the middle of my medical residency at the time and thus, never actually got to spend a lot of time playing the guitar. I eventually had to sell it off without ever actually having properly bonded with it to pay for my med school fees and a new cellphone. I still regret selling it to this day. The Tight-end bridge was probably the most comfortable fixed-bridge I've ever used and was just super-solid.

6. BigBaldIan

BigBaldIan Bald and gribbly.

Jackson did some great super-teles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

I used to own the two I posted, I've since moved them.

8. TheGlowCloud

TheGlowCloud New Member

Mother of god. I'm mostly a lurker here but I HAD to log in to ask where that beauty of an instrument came from. Looks like it's an Ibanez.

9. BoneClaws

BoneClaws Young Old Man

I agree with some of the earlier posters on this thread: there are plenty of good super tele's out there. I wouldn't even give that OP green one another look, it's too garish. I prefer G&L (arguably the original and best super tele), Schecter (the whole company started as a parts store that built super teles for people like Pete Townshend), Jim Root sigs, Joe Duplantier sigs, and anything in ESP's TE line (the Steph Carpenter models are great).

10. Samacle

Samacle SS.org Regular

11. Free_Oaks

Free_Oaks SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Ryan Knight from TBDM has this similar Ibanez LACS, dunno if he's got others but I've always liked it.

12. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Schecter Japan and Legator have some as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

How are the necks on the G&L and Schecter? I've owned a couple of old no-name teles before my Ibanez FR and the neck was usually the biggest problem for me because of the heel-joint.

The ESP TE-401FM looks really nice :eek: The set-thru construction is looking pretty good. It almost looks like a more metal version of the Fender FMT Special HH Telecaster.

By the way, Ormsby has a less garish color option for the GTR TX:
    [​IMG]

14. BoneClaws

BoneClaws Young Old Man

Yeah, you're right, that guitar does look a lot better in that darker, more understated color :)

The Schecter PT's and G&L ASAT's that I've encountered have had more Fenderish neck profiles, fatter and easier to hang onto if you're gripping chords deeply. They also have chunky, square neck joints in the typical Fender-style bolt-on fashion.

Seeing your preference of modern neck joints leads me to recommend the TE-401. Every time someone wants a classic aesthetic but updated with a modern feel and more 21st century specs, their first stop should be ESP/LTD. I mean, look at this thing, it's so fvcking sexy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This thing has got to play like a dream. Every ESP I've ever touched with a "thin U" profile has been amazing. I happen to hate EMG's but that's just a personal preference, I'd sort that with a simple pickup swap.

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

also a more "retro" color too

this one has chrome hardware

[​IMG]

just keep an eye open. They were (or still are) some spares available at the Ormsby website to buy right now ready to go. Or contact one of their dealers.

Also keep an eye open as the next run would have a new TX model if Im not wrong. There is a talk about a natural swamp ash with mapple board and black hardware/pickguard, also one with blue flame top (similar to that grey one showed before but in blue), and not sure if any of the carbon fiber pickguards ones too. But if its not in the next run about to be released soon it would be on the next. These were pretty popular from what I could see

Also beautiful Teles in this tread, you all not helping to my GAS haha

16. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

A lot of Schecters come with the SLS neck now which is slimline. Similar to ibanez but IMO comfier. The Hellraiser PT comes with that SLS carve I believe (The purple one posted on the first page)

17. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Blackwater
    [​IMG]

18. BoneClaws

BoneClaws Young Old Man

Yes, historically, Schecter has been known for chunkier vintage style necks but lately they've been putting the slimmer SLS necks on more and more models. Staying competitive with Ibanez, Jackson, ESP etc. I haven't tried one of the new Hellraiser Hybrid PTs yet but the specs lead me to believe this is accurate. That'd be a good choice.

19. jfrey

jfrey SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

made by aviator guitars from czech

20. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

This Skervesen (I think it used to belong to a forum member?)

[​IMG]

Also these Skervesen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]