Super Strat suggestion thread... Balaguer, Chubtone, etc?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by mystix, May 29, 2020.

1. mystix

mystix SS.org Regular

My 15 year anniversary with my office is coming up. with it, I'll be getting a small bonus. I'm looking to put part of that towards a super strat "dream build". I'm looking to get something like this:

https://imgur.com/a/peyX4VP

Some of the specs I'm looking for are:

- Roasted Ash Body
    - Roasted Maple Neck
    - Stainless Steel Frets
    - Locking Tuners
    - HSS Pickup config - with custom switching in the 4th position to make the two singles act as a humbucker
    - Gotoh 510 bridge

If I got this from Balaguer, it would be around $1750. If I got it from Chubtones, it would be $1895. I don't mind going used. I could get an Ibanez AZ Tom Quayle for around $1800 if I looked around enough, but I already have an Ibanez AZ HSS so that would be kind of redundant. A Kiesel Delos build would be around $1500 or so.

Any others? My top price point on this would be $2000.

Attached Files:

2. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

RiksRiks likes this.
  3. mystix

mystix SS.org Regular

4. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

Yeah, just also remembered the MiM series doesn't get the SS frets. Wish they'd bring that feature over from the USA ones.

5. mystix

mystix SS.org Regular

agreed. The comparable Ibanez az models have ss frets

6. RiksRiks

RiksRiks ERG Player Wannabe

I know it's a bit far from what you're looking for but the new Solar also gets SS roasted maple and HH pickup which you can change for HS (they neck pup is a hot rails type), maybe it's worth considering.

mystix likes this.
  7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

hit up Sully guitars. Hes doing a batch of Strat-ish guitars with roasted maple necks and pool routes for your choice of pickups (unless you dont like pickguards)

also Warmoth?, get all the parts and get a good tech to put it all together and setup nicely

8. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Not sure what the USA pricing is like but they're made over there so assume more favorable than in the UK, but I'd highly recommend LSL guitars

9. protest

protest SS.org Regular

It depends on if the roasted ash body is 100% the look you're going for or not, but a EBMM Cutlass RS will have a roasted flame maple neck/board, stainless steel frets, arguably the best non locking trem etc for around $2,000 brand new.

10. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

The AZ Tom Quayle is likely to be great. Up to you to see if it's a plus to have it so close to the AZ because you love yours, or you really value variety instead. Only you can tell.

If you are looking for the looks with no pickguard and thinking of Kiesel, you have some options too. You might like the Aries with the "bevel-delete" option, or the Theos. The Delos looks more "traditional" than "super" strat, at least to my eye.

The Charvel DKs look great, but the lack of stainless steel frets is a bummer.

At 2k, you could wait a bit or send some offers and get a second hand HSS Suhr too. Some good recent Classics or Classic pros show up in that range from time to time. If it were me I'd either go that route if I found "close enough" specs (most likely give up the roasted ash body typically), or try Kiesel.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020