Super cheap strat day!

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Mvotre, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

ok, so I trade a old, no more used distortion pedal for this guitar. Super cheap, but why not? At the worst case, I could refine my luthier chops on it.

It was a fairly meh matte black, so I already started removing the paint off. It was a fairly thin layer, so things were easy.

[​IMG]

it was supposed to be basswood, so I was aiming for a really bland piece of wood. But to my surprise, it got quite a nice figuring going on

[​IMG]

it would look sooo nice with a blue dying and oil, but it's a MASSIVE layer of sealer on this bitch. There is a knock over on the lower part of the body (which I'm filling with CA glue), and I can see the sealer is more than 1mm thick. Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm not aiming for perfection here (since I belive I will remove all the sealer someday), so I will just get rid of the major scratch marks and off we go. The hardware was:

[​IMG]

the plan it to wet sand the body to 600 grit, for a nice semi gloss finish. Mint green pickguard, vintage white pickups and knobs. Fully scalloped feret board.

I am really impressed by this guitar. Super cheap, but looks really nice. Honest construction (no sharp frets or something like that). Just the crappy components degrade the thing. Even the headstock looks kinda nice

[​IMG]

reminds me of some old Peavey Predator strats.

will post more updates ASAP :hbang:

2. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

That doesn't even look half bad. :yesway:

Grain, not figuring. Anyways, I often find basswood to be quite attractive. It'll pop a bit more if you shoot a little clear on top. Those kinds of sealer tend to stay a little cloudy/milky no matter what you sand them with, and a clearcoat will sort that right out. :cheers:

3. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

yeah, grain :flame:.

I messed with the guitar a bit more, and if I leave it that way, I will keep reminding myself how nice she would look with just a stain and a oil finish. So, since I don't have any kind of haste, off to bare wood we go. Tomorrow I will buy the most agressive sandpaper I can and will start the battle with this damn sealer :scream:

will work slowly, just one hour every night, but I will post updates frequently :yesway:

now I just need to decide if I got with a blue or yellow stain...

PS: also, I put a fresh battery on the built in tuner. It works :lol: built in the upper horn