Super Belated NGD: "The I Never Thought I'd Make an NGD for This Brand" - Legator Ghost G7FP

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Tree, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Tree

Tree -________-

So, I haven't made a post in lord knows how long for any of the guitars I've had over the years, but this one surprised me just enough that I figured it warranted a return to SSO.

Semi wall of text inbound:

For financial reasons I've been down to just one guitar, which up until recently was my Kiesel CL7, which also for financial reasons I had to let go of. After selling the Kiesel my plan was to use the excess cash I had from the sale to fund a cheaper replacement to keep me tied over until I could afford to have a more "luxury" model again. I toyed with the idea of a few models and brands, Sterling JPs (I had a really nice one for some time around 2016), my go-to brand Ibanez (since I've been out of the loop for so long I was severely disappointed when I went to see the used market's prices. No more "get a used prestige" I guess :lol:

I had first picked up the PRS Holcomb SE-7. While I actually thoroughly enjoyed playing it for rhythm stuff, I just couldn't get on with the radius for lead work past the 12-15 fret range. I've got fairly average sized hands and have grown way too accustomed to smaller, thinner necks.

Not exactly the most budget friendly guitar, but I had decided that I should look for something that would actually keep me content, and landed on the Schecter KM7-MKIII Artist. While it was a lot of fun, and played great, I just couldn't gel with it overall, and on top of that no matter what I did there was a ton of buzzing coming from the nut on the three lowest strings. An easy fix, yes, but not something I was keen on having to adjust on a brand new $1,800 guitar. So, back it went.

Enter Legator.

I had some serious panging left from selling the Kiesel. I've grown attached to multi-scale, and now headless makes (my apartment is pretty tight on space, so the smaller form factor is nice). I'm also a sucker for pink-ish guitars. The Kiesel was pink with the metallic flake. Anyway, I had just been browsing headless brands to see if there were any new up and comers that I hadn't seen or heard of and stumbled on these models from Legator. I was still actively lurking on here and other guitar sites, FB groups, etc. around the time Legator first popped up. I scoffed at them and all their here one second, gone the next endorsees. Never in my dreams did I think that I'd even come close to a Legator, let alone own one. It wasn't an easy call to make, and I spent more hours at work looking up posts here and scouring every corner of the internet for info than I'd like to admit. But seeing a few posts from users on here I recognized saying that they got some nice Ghosts from Legator really helped push me.

I drove out like two hours to a GC that had this in store, locked away in a glass case like it was one of their Platinum guitars. There was no way I was going to take a gamble on this without playing it first.

Luckily, I can say I have been surprised in nearly every facet.

It holds tune incredibly well. Playability wise, this is easily on par with many of my old Prestiges. Nice, smooth fret ends, buttery smooth neck, comfortable contours on the body, light weight with no neck dive (should be a no brainer with a headless, but I figured if anyone could screw this up it would be Legator).

The neck shape is eerily similar to the few 1527s I had, as well as my UV777 (I forget the year, but it was an AANJ model). I wonder if they've actively based their work on mid-2000's Ibanez, because the similarities don't end there.

The pickups, the "Hive"-s are pleasantly middle of the road. They are very reminiscent of the V7/V8 combo and how they sounded in my various RGA121s. They're nothing to applaud, but they get the job done without me feeling like I'm missing out. Unlike the V7/V8-7s that the 1527s were sent out with. Again, this feels like a conscious decision to me, but I suppose it could be coincidence and me connecting dots that aren't there. :lol:

Honestly, the only bad things I can comment on are there is some sort of tooling blem on the bridge, it should be circled in one of the pictures; and the screws for the nut may not have the best QC. The bottom of a few of them seem a little sharp. I went through three different D strings trying to get my preferred set on there, which really pissed me off as it was the last of my Elixirs. But, it's possible I was just over-tightening this one over and over. The rest of the strings were fine though, so who knows :shrug:

Anyway, pics!

thumbnail_Image (2).jpg

thumbnail_Image.jpg thumbnail_Image (1).jpg thumbnail_Image (4).jpg thumbnail_Image (5).jpg thumbnail_Image (7).jpg thumbnail_Image (3).jpg thumbnail_Image (6).jpg thumbnail_Image (8).jpg

TLDR: 2020-2021 Legator might be good?

This to me, at least in the current market, is about how a $1k-ish guitar should feel/play like. Obviously some nicer pickups would be nice, but so far all of their OEM stuff on here is good enough. Hardware included.

Obviously this is in no way me endorsing them and saying everyone should give them a second chance. But if you are on the fence and have the opportunity to try one, or get one with a good return policy I'd say it's worth a shot. Again, try before you buy or make sure you can get covered on returns, just in case I wasn't clear :lol:

I love mine, but this is legitimately the only one I've put my hands on. Maybe I just got the best of a bunch.

2. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

Sick. I've had 2 legator's and they were both awesome guitars. HNGD

Tree likes this.
  3. aWoodenShip

aWoodenShip SS.org Regular

I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience with Legator. I don't like any production 8 strings on the market right now and am seriously considering one in this same color.

Tree likes this.
  4. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

I really think they've come a long way. They've got cool designs, the QC was shoddy for a while, but really stepped it up lately. My friends have a few, and while they have some issues, mainly cosmetic and one dud pup, their CS was great and took care of it, and genuinely great instruments for the price.

AkiraSpectrum and Tree like this.
  5. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

People really should re-evaluate the Legator brand. I have one of their more recent Korean-made N6X superstrats (in the Ocean finish over buckeye burl - Very, VERY much like the USA Merrow Galaxy Burst seen here), and it's an incredibly resonant, well-appointed and well-made axe.

Rates with or slightly exceeds Kiesel, Balaguer, those types of high-mid brands absolutely.

John, AkiraSpectrum and Tree like this.
  6. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

I like how the grain shows through, it seems like you don't a lot of pink guitars finished like that. Or I don't anyways.

Congrats on the new axe!

Tree likes this.
  7. Tree

Tree -________-

That's great to hear, honestly. I'd love to have a more diverse market to choose from in the future, and if they're really improving I think they have some decent ideas. Not too keen on their headstock still, though it's growing on me.

What models did you have?

I'm honestly considering getting one of these as an 8 myself when budget allows. If nothing else for a backup, or just something to mess with. Check to see if you have any local you can try out, or if there's a shop that would be willing to order one in.

Yeah, I think if the issues are small, and at least mostly cosmetic, that's nothing out of field for the price range these sit in. I am interested in the FX line of the Ghosts, but I don't know if the quality is that superior to warrant the price difference. $1.2k more than the Performance line just for a top, set neck, and Fishmans ain't the best deal. Though, that's also the difference between getting a basic Kiesel, and one with flashier specs that will likely play the same as the base model

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. Tree

Tree -________-

Missed these as I was typing out the other reply

I absolutely agree on everything you said. ~8 years is a lot of time to grow as a company.

This honestly plays almost as well as my Kiesel did. I'd say it's like 85-90% of the way there, for almost a third of the cost (mine was bling-ed out a bit on options.)

My pool for examples is limited to this one, so I don't want to make any sweeping statements, but I will definitely be looking at more of their offerings in the future. Even if I don't purchase them, I'm no longer going to turn my nose at them. At least, not the newer production lines. I think I'll maintain the same stance on their old work :lol:

Thank you! The "raw tone finish" is really great on ash IMO. It's a bit of a boring finish sometimes, but it really works on this model in the pink and black finishes, I think.

mikah912 and Crungy like this.
  9. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

wow looks great! congrats!

Tree likes this.
  10. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

I had a 7 string multiscale Ninja and a 7 string Ghost. Both were great but I couldn't play 7 strings well enough to justify keeping them.

11. Jeffrey Bain

Jeffrey Bain SS.org Regular

Played a straight scale Ghost G6OD. They have definitely stepped their QC game up. It's local and priced right, going to have a hard time not snagging it. HNGD!

Tree likes this.
  12. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

Honestly in my experience, I found legators open pore ash finish to be superior to Kiesel's raw tone. I'm a Kiesel fan, and its the one thing that I find their quality to be lesser than others. It just seems way more susceptible to dings and scratches and glossing than the open pore Legators and Schectors I/my friends have owned.

I actually find my buddy's legator white ghost from like 2017 to be one of the toughest "raw tone" finishes ever. He's dropped it and hit it on stuff all over, and from a close look sure you can tell, but it's held up SUPER well. Way better than his satin finished painted one with non open pore ash finish.

13. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

A few years ago, I had a 27" Legator Ninja 7 string, which was a really cool guitar. Currently have a Ghost 6, another excellent guitar. I put a set of GFS rails humbuckers (not sure if Power or Crunchy), and it's my drop C guitar.

I'm 2 for 2 with good ones from them, despite what others have experienced.

josh1 and Tree like this.
  14. Gtan7

Gtan7 SS.org Regular

Good you have a good experience, my first headless Leg was a 2017 or so FP, it was pretty awful, the 2nd is my avatar OD, needed a fret job and some new pups (actually I'm not too fond of the Fluences I put in, still needs new pups!) but plays great now.

Tree likes this.
  15. Tree

Tree -________-

Thanks, homie!

Bummer to hear you don't vibe with 7s. Hopefully you can find one that better suits you in the future if you haven't already.

How's the fit and finish on the OD? I like them spec wise, but they all look so flat to me in pictures.

It's definitely a strong ass finish. It honestly feels thick, and yogurt-y (maybe I'm just thinking that since mine is pink :lol:)

It's solid for sure, though. I haven't bumped it or anything yet, and I'm really hoping I can keep it that way.

Glad to hear it! I really want a Ghost 6er for Drop C myself. I just wish they'd look into doing multiscale 6s again. Something about the Ghost body shape looks really funky to me without the angle and fan.

Yeah, it seems like they still struggled pretty consistently until more recent years. Seems like 2019+ may be the sweet spot to look out for based on everything I've read. Obviously some lemons will still squeak through, as it does with all brands. Conversely, I'm sure there are some floating around out there from earlier years that are more up to snuff as well.

I'm glad the second one you've got is a keeper, though!

josh1 likes this.
  16. Jeffrey Bain

Fit and finish I would say was good. Couple of points I noted while playing it briefly the other day:

1. Burst on the one I'm looking at is a bit uneven but seems that's the case with a lot of them. Otherwise the paint job was really solid, no orange peel or anything egregious by any means. I would not choose this, or any of their finishes on the G6OD by choice, I think the reverse white burst or whatever the fuck it is quite off-putting but they do look a little better in person. I think you summed it up with "flat" pretty perfectly.
    2. Playability wise it was pretty bad since the store had it strung up with a least a .054 low and it was tuned to E standard. Neck had some noticeable bow because of it. Pretty easy to tell though it would be a quality playing instrument with a little setup/TLC.
    3. Fret ends/general build quality I would say was up to what I think a low $1,xxx guitar would/should be. Had a really nice roasted neck on it, quite dark in comparison to some of the others I've seen. I wouldn't say the fret ends are as nice as my FGN Iliad but seriously good, nothing that'll cut you.
    4. Neck profile I liked quite a bit on it, very shallow flat D shape. Felt very comfortable but a departure from my other guitars which are more a modern C.

I can't comment on the electronics since I didn't have a chance to plug it in, but Fishman Fluence Moderns are Fishman Fluence Moderns so I know what they do more/less.

Would I buy one for the street price of around $1,299? Probably not. That's because I feel like there are a lot of good semi-custom headless options (Kiesel) only about $100 more if you spec it moderately. If it were me, I would likely be spec'ing out a Kiesel (or maybe a used Strandberg that proves to not be total shit from a build standpoint) instead of a full price new G6OD.

Hope this helps!

Tree likes this.
  17. Tree

Tree -________-

Thanks for the thorough write up. So, I guess my assumption that their higher end models are probably not worth the asking price is pretty on point. I'm really fond of the tops on the FX models, even though those too are pretty flat from what I've seen. If I ever stumble on a used one for a reasonable price I may snag it. Otherwise, like you had said, it's off to Kiesel I go.

I'm very interested in getting a Mayo Hydra at some point as well, but, with Kiesel being out of budget for me right now...well, you get the point :ugh:

Jeffrey Bain likes this.
  18. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian Contributor

Glad to hear you found a solid option for yourself, and also good to hear this brand isn't apparently nothing but lemons.
    I've seen enough horror shows with their logo on them to keep me staved off for a bit still, but it's nice to see some of our more adventurous souls starting to come back with some good equipment. I do like their design (and love the etching on the pickup covers!) so they may be on the map for me some day.

I definitely see you on the multiscale thing. As soon as I tried it I can't go back. It is so hard trying to pull the trigger on a straight scale guitar now.
    "Yeah it's sick dude, but you know...you know what would be cooler, is if..." :lol:

Tree likes this.
  19. Tree

Tree -________-

This 100000%

It just wouldn't be SSO if our go to line wasn't, "I would totally buy this if it had/didn't have" :rofl:

Also, thank you! I was super stoked when I got my hands on it in store and it wasn't a disappointment. The Merrow and Holcomb were both fantastic as well, but if I'm only going to have one guitar for the time being multiscale has really sold me for playability and comfort.
    This will definitely hold me over until I have more disposable funds again. The Kiesel was phenomenal, but I couldn't justify holding on to it when I needed help with rent/bills.

20. Jeffrey Bain

Welp, fuck it I have a NGD post coming soon… too good a deal to pass up