Sumac (Members of Isis, Russian Circles, Baptists)

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just heard about this band and am super excited. It's Aaron Turner from Isis, Russian Circles bassist Brian Cook, and Baptists drummer Nick Yacyshyn, which is a lineup that sounds almost too good to be true.

They just posted an album teaser:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
If it's another Post Metal outfit, chances are I won't be impressed. The teaser sounds heavy enough to give it a shot, though.
I kind of expected it to be post-metal, and I'm sure others would too when hearing Aaron is in it. I feel like it's pretty hard for him to get away from Isis' shadow. That being said, though, this sounds pretty damn cool and I'll be sure to check it out. I've always been iffy about Aaron's vocals but it seems to suit the song in that teaser very well.

JoeyW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anything with Nick Yacyshyn is worth checking out, colour me stoooked

spawnofthesith

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Holy ....!!! Talk about A dream lineup there.... Really pissed I can't listen to the teaser right now

PlumbTheDerps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I kind of expected it to be post-metal, and I'm sure others would too when hearing Aaron is in it. I feel like it's pretty hard for him to get away from Isis' shadow. That being said, though, this sounds pretty damn cool and I'll be sure to check it out. I've always been iffy about Aaron's vocals but it seems to suit the song in that teaser very well.

In fairness, almost all his post-ISIS projects (Old Man Gloom, House of Low Culture, Mamiffer) have explicitly not been post-metal. I happen to think most of them are awfully boring as well, so I'm excited for this hahah.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
They did an interview with notyourscene and Aaron pretty much said that this is what he wanted Isis's later output to sound like.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm. That sounds interesting but at the same time I think Isis' later output was absolutely perfect as far as music goes so I dunno how to feel about that. :lol:

ECGuitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw these guys play their first show ever in Vancouver on thursday. They were opening up for Deafheaven and absolutely crushed it!

PlumbTheDerps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw these guys play their first show ever in Vancouver on thursday. They were opening up for Deafheaven and absolutely crushed it!

OMFG what did it sound like. Was it like Oceanic material, heavier, softer? Also, lucky- I would KILL to see Deafheaven live, much less Deafheaven with an Aaron Turner band. Jesus.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Ritual practice and Egyptian deities are actually pretty much par for the course, as far as heavier music goes. Russian Circles, yeah, I know it's weird, but it's got some charm. But a spice? Might as well be Nutmeg :lol: